• This topic has 19 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Light, fast, cheap and 26"- oh and springy at both ends- what do you reccommend?
  • alwillis

The mrs is getting more into her mtb (she’s a roadie and triathlete most of the time) and is looking at fs bikes to replace her trek elite 9.6 ht. All the bits on it are in good nick (2×10 XT, Xt brakes, stans wheels etc) so what should I look for frame only either new or second hand??

I’ve seen a couple of the older scott sparks- any good?

smokey_jo

I got a kona 120 scandium for less than £200 notes in vgc which would tick those boxes

tenfoot

If the Trek has 100 mm forks (?), perhaps a Giant Anthem?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

+1 for the Anthem

mrlugz
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

so what should I look for frame only either new or second hand??

If it has to be 26″, then you’ve got pretty much no choice except 2nd hand, unless you can find a bargain old frame lying around in a bike shop somewhere…

Daffy

Santa Cruz Superlight or Juliana

reggiegasket
    Free Member

a mate has an orange 5 frame for sale that would satisfy the ‘cheap’ part.

onewheelgood

Anthem, or the Juliana for more niche.

kayla1
    Free Member

There are some new 26″ FS frames on the Commencal website for £notasmuchasyoumightthink.

bigjim

I have an ASR5 frame for sale but it’s large, so maybe a bit big for most ladies.

alwillis

Some great suggestions there thank you- will show her a few options this evening. Bigger wheels isn’t a deal breaker, but she is happy (and has nice ish kit already) on 26 wheels. She also shows no interest in my 650bike.

Whoever suggested Juliana may have judged my wife very well- every time we see a Santa Cruz out riding she comments how nice they are, but a womens version would be better- and there it is!

Thankfully she isn’t tiny, so most medium frames are ok- currently on a 17.5 inch trek with a relatively long stem for her roadie esque position.

rhid

I may have a 2013 Remedy 7 frame for sale soon….Just mentioning it….

Thats fast and pretty light.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Anthem will probably pedal a lot better then the SC – when I was testing the giant with maestro seemed a lot more efficient than a superlight. Obviously the turner was better than both and there have been a few 5 spots popping up, but that would mean bigger forks.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Have a look at the giant trance as well. I gave up trying to sell my frame when I saw how little it would fetch. It wont be as fast as the anthem uphill but will inspire more confidence on the downhill and will probably be more comfy as the position isn’t as racy.

ransos
    Free Member

Anthem with a 120mm fork. It will still pedal really well but the slightly slacker head angle gives a bit more confidence descending.

The-Beard

Old school turner Flux, there was one going on here for £200 a few days ago I think. I have one and love it.

essexbiker
    Free Member

If she’s tall I have a medium 2010 Giant Trance x3 frame & Fox shock available soon – great condition

AD

Another vote for a Flux – awesome bike – probably not the lightest frameset though!

Marin
    Free Member

Mrs has a Juliana and is very happy with it. Doesn’t meet the cheap requirement though

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Light, fast, cheap and 26"- oh and springy at both ends- what do you reccommend?’ is closed to new replies.