Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Light CX disc wheelset
  • Spud

After a light(er) wheelset for the new Dirty Disco (wonderful 40th pressie from my wife and kids) and the Kinesis set look great but are like hens teeth. What else is there around 1500g / pair that’s not daft money?

jonba
    Free Member

Not sure they are that light but you could try a hope hub with either the stan’s cx or alpha 400 rim.

njee20
    Free Member

QR hubs? A2Z hubs are light and cheap, build onto something like Stan’s Iron Cross, should be more like 1400 or so I imagine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Conqueror
    Free Member
    Conqueror
    Free Member

For a prebuilt the Kinesis CX wheelset for ~250 looks good also.. if you can find stock

eddie11
    Free Member

Novatec hubs are 50quid eBay, open pros or reflex are about 50 rrp. Your lbs could do 64 of something double butted and a wheel build for both for another 80?

cp

From superstar

Switch hubs on iron cross with sapim race spokes.

Less than 200 quid with FACEBOOK10 code.

Spud

Cheers, not thought of Superstar. Only 90g heavier than the Kinesis but available and cheaper. Anyone know what their delivery time is?

mboy
    Free Member

Got a pair of 1 ride old Hope Pro2 Evo’s on Stans Iron Cross, 28H with double butted spokes, that I’m selling.

About 1550g the pair before tubeless tape and valves, so pretty light.

Email in profile if you’re interested.

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers, not thought of Superstar. Only 90g heavier than the Kinesis but available and cheaper. Anyone know what their delivery time is?

For the love of god, please don’t buy Superstar! Bearing and freehub life can generally be measured in hours rather than months!

Spud

Cheers Mboy, ygm

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Just sit it out and wait for the Kinesis hoops. Mine have 3000 miles on them – not even touched them. They’re very light, look nice and clearly work.

Baznav
    Free Member
    Spud

Not heard of Novatec, but yes, they do look good.

matthew_h
    Free Member

How about these?

http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b0s575p2271

SRAM hubs on Stans Iron Cross rims for £250

Possibly a bit lardy but they’re decent builds

Spud

Yeah, saw those. But want to save a good whack of weight and they’re pushing 2kg.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Kinesis back in stock within 2 weeks. Not long to wait.

Spud

Oooh. That’s good news. Asked Freeborn today and said 4 weeks.

Sam

I’ve got the lightbicycle wide carbon tub rims and they are really nice – around 300g each and waaaay stiffer than any Al rim. At about £100 each they are also pretty good value compared to a stans etc.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’m running the older Iron Cross wheel set . This is the older 2012 version which has a hub which is only 10 speed compatible. New versions (which come in Comp, Pro and Team versions) are 11 speed compatible. I’ve had them for a year including a full season of Scottish CX with no issues. Your local shop should be able to get a deal on them from paligap if you ask them nicely – I’m sure I paid a bit less than the £425 shown.

Lighter than the Hope/Crest 29er combo I used to run (which got moved to the 29er).

njee20
    Free Member

Superstar = Novatec

Spud

Barge pole then!

tang
    Free Member

That’s pretty Sam! I put some cheap novatec on hplus and the hubs have done well over last winter.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got the lightbicycle wide carbon tub rims and they are really nice – around 300g each and waaaay stiffer than any Al rim

Which ones? They claim 320g even for their 24mm deep ones – and those look like 38s? Be very tempted if they do a 38mm 300g rim!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Light CX disc wheelset’ is closed to new replies.