Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Light bike for 5 year old boy
  • discapade
    Free Member

Hey fellas, does anyone know any good, light bikes…he is getting good now but his bike weighs a ton….

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Frog

boxelder

Islabikes Beinn 20

You’ll get much of the cost back selling it second hand. If our third child wasn’t about to grow into it, I’d offer you ours. Great bikes.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Islabike Cnoc16

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Just ordered 2 Frogs for our twins 4th birthday in December. A spotty 43 for my girl and a red 48 for the boy. LBS sells them and they are cracking little light bikes for kids and a bit cheaper than islabikes.

paladin

My youngest has 2 bikes – an old 20″ singlespeed halfords job for school duties and a islabike 20 for everything else. The difference is night and day. The halfords bike weighs about the same as my steel 456, and while he can get it going, the islabike produces more smiles.

I would wait until your lad is tall enough to fit a beinn20 small, that being their smallest geared bike (my lad was 6, but he’s short).

I was a bit hesitant spending £300 on a kids bike, but if he gets 3 years use out of it, I would expect to sell it for around half, and I’m not going to grumble about that.

iainc

Our boys are now 11 and 8 and currently on Being 26 and 24. We started with Cnoc 16 and have had Islabikes the whole way. They are ideal, very light and great quality. Resale prices as said above very good so they don’t actually cost much over the years.

Eldest will be onto a small adult hardtail end of the yr when he is 12.

They also both have Gumtree BMX’s for kicking around on

MoreCashThanDash

Ours have coped perfectly well on second hand Ridgebacks, Spesh and Trek. Someone else took tbe hit on initial depreciation, don’t think we lost more than £20 on any of them after two kids and up to 5 years use.

Unless they are very serious and racing, really don’t think kids give a damn about weight, so long as it fits. Just sold a well used, scratched third hand 24″ Spesh to a guy off here whose son declared it be epic.

Islabikes and Frogs are terrific bikes, but I suspect a lot of purchases are parent driven.

rockhopper70

He did indeed declare it epic and hoping to get to Clayton vale this weekend to thrash it.

I’m selling his old bike, a Scott Voltage, 20″ wheel, happy to consider an offer if you are interested, keep the wheels of second hand bikes turning within STW.

rockhopper70

frog and islabikes always get good reviews.
    I’ve also been impressed by the Hoy range at Evans and the Pinnacle kids range.
    But for buying the Spesh above, I would probably have bought a Hoy Bonaly 24. From a simple pick up test in-store, unbelievably light. I’m presuming any smaller sizes are equally svelte.

natrix
    Free Member

Islabike Benin 20 8)

AlexSimon

There are quite a few now.
    Used to be just Islabikes, but now there is Hoy, Pinnacle, Team Sky, Frog and a few others.

Islabikes keep going up in price, which keeps second hand values high, but it always seems such a large expense. I have 2 boys, 4 years apart so we’ve got good use out of ours.

In fact, I’m meant to be putting the Beinn 20 on Ebay, but keep forgetting.

Nobby

Nobby Jr worked his way through the entire Spesh Hotrock range – every one of them was a decent bike and considerably lighter than his cousin’s Halfords specials.

peabrain
    Free Member

AlexSimon – is it a small Beinn 20…?

Harry_the_Spider

My 6 year old has a Ridgeback MX16 which isn’t too heavy.

hooli

Dawes blowfish is an option too, aluminium so fairly light but not as expensive as Islabike

honourablegeorge

My 5 year old rode 13k on his first day out on his Cnoc 16. Light biek makes the world of difference, was so much easier for him.

peabrain
    Free Member

Don’t forget the Dawes Academy range

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have a Hotrock 20″ that really needs to go in the classifieds!
    Fetching shade of purple but he might not care 😉

dougieb
    Free Member

Islabike Cnoc16 r 20 – can’t recommend it enough. My 4 years has been bombing around on his since progressing from his balance bike.

AlexSimon

peabrain – Member

AlexSimon – is it a small Beinn 20…?
    Large I think. Either that or it was before they did s/l

Here’s a pic.

peabrain
    Free Member

Really like the colour of that one! Looking for a small, ideally an old scruffy one – yours looks mint!

AlexSimon

That’s the power of photography! – it’s definitely been used 🙂
    paint chips, etc
    A friend of mine picked one up at a charity shop for £8 a couple of months ago!

peabrain
    Free Member

A friend of mine picked one up at a charity shop for £8 a couple of months ago!

Why never me!

discapade
    Free Member

Cheers all. Some great suggestions there

Stainypants

i have a 6 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. we’ve had loads, Dawes blowfish 12 and 14 are light but the brakes are craap. We then went onto a ridgeback mx16 and melody they are heavy but the kids managed some long rides on them. I also got a 16 inch carrera blast which is lighter than the mx16 and my son preferred. When you jump to 20 inch wheel size is when the bikes start getting really heavy. That’s when I got them both Islabikes and they weigh less than the 16 inch bikes they replaced. They have been fantastic we have done some big bike rides on them. my 5 year old rode 23 miles in in the Pyrenees last week and wasn’t tired at that end of the ride. if you families hobby is riding together then get an islabike if its for dossing around the bike park or cycling to school get a second hand carrera blast.

rockhopper70

Like this….

[/url]

rockhopper70

rewski
    Free Member

Gary fisher pre caliber 20

AlexSimon

Here you go rockhopper:

rockhopper70

Thanks..I’m rubbish with IT.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Light bike for 5 year old boy’ is closed to new replies.