Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Light Bicycle wheel build questions
  • BigSteve
    Free Member

So my rims arrived this morning – 650b 35mm wide. Can’t weigh them yet as the ex seems to have taken the scales when she left!!!. I’ve now found someone local that will build them for sensible money not the £120 per wheel wanted by the LBS.

So a couple of questions:
    1) what rim tape/valve should be used for a tubeless setup? (my last wheels came ready built with tyres on so haven’t a clue on this)
    2) I’m building on Hope Pro II Evos. Any idea what spoke length I need.
    3) And what spokes – wheel builder reckons Sapim Race.
    4) and what spoke pattern should I be using – looking for an strong build. Again wheelbuilder says 3 spoke – whatever that means.

Cheers

Steve

njee20
    Free Member

1) Gorilla tape works well and is sensibly priced
    2) no, that’s for your wheel builder to sort
    3) Sapim Race are good, or DT Competition
    4) yep, 3x all round, no reason to do anything different.

matthew_h
    Free Member

1) Stans tape and valves work
    2) Your wheelbuilder should sort this
    3) Sapim Race will be fine
    4) 3 cross will be fine

If you have a decent wheelbuilder then you need not worry about these things. If he can’t sort these things then get a better builder

Mbnut
    Free Member

As mentioned, let your wheel builder sort and when you get them back pop some Gorilla tape on them and stick some Stans removable core vavles in there.

They build up beautifully and go up tubeless a treat.

Very impressed with mine.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

as above but 3M crossweave tape is equivalent to Stans and much much cheaper. Ebay has it in 19mm and 25mm.

Northwind

I think I used roval blue tape on mine, because I’ve got miles of it. But tubeless isn’t choosy really.

As above, let the wheelbuilder worry about spoke length- if you tell him a size and it’s wrong, it’s your problem after all, and he’ll be better at it than you.

bigjim

superstar tape is OK, not the same as stan’s, but cheaper, and no one can see it.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity Steve, how much did the rims cost you as I’m really tempted by a set of these as well and looking to get an idea on costs.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Don’t forget Brass nipples!!!

BigSteve
    Free Member

Ultimateweevil – I paid around £240 posted for the rims, plus just shy of £40 duties/tax etc. However the pound has slipped a good few cents since I ordered them so it will be more like £250 now.

Candodavid – They will be brass nipples.

To everyone else – thanks I’ll leave the spoke length to the builder. 3 cross it will be with Sapim Race spokes.

So on the tape – looking at the videos on the Stans site the tape has to go up the wall of rim. So does this mean that for a 30mm internal width I’ll need something 33/35mm wide?

njee20
    Free Member

Just overlap it.

BigSteve
    Free Member

Ah – ok, so that doesn’t compromise the sealing of the wheel?

I have weighed them now – 381g and 402g.

kimbers

I used this wtb tape on mine, didn’t have to overlap it as it comes in 30mm
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/wtb-tcs-rim-tape-11m-roll-2014/rp-prod66624

Northwind

Mine doesn’t go near the edge of the rim- not really sure why that’s desirable tbh but it works fine if you do it differently. As long as the spoke holes are well covered, anyway.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Cheers Steve makes things a bit more interesting at that price

njee20
    Free Member

Cheers Steve makes things a bit more interesting at that price

The prices are on the website, the specifics will depend on things like how much you’re charged as an exchange rate, plus FX fees… I paid £248 in January, plus £36 (IIRC) charges. They’ll all be in that ball park though.

pedlad

I had mine built up by a shop mentioned on here who had done a good number of light bicycle wheels. Went belt and braced with pro II brass nips and butted spokes he recommended. One thing he mentioned that he’s discovered was they benefited from a day to rest after build followed by a quick tune up so that’s what he does.

craiig
    Free Member

Big Steve: What was the total cost of your wheels once you have paid LB, Import Vat, bought hubs (Hope Pro II), paid a wheel builder and bought your tubeless tape? I am particularly interested in getting a set but don’t want to spend too much in case my wife decides to pack the scales and leave.

Tracey

I bought a set of rims new from the classifieds on here. Used my own Hope pro 2 hubs and had them built up including spokes for £70 per wheel. Could have got them built cheaper but wanted them doing by someone who new what they were doing. Overall I’m very happy with the finished product.

BigSteve
    Free Member

Craiig – rims were about £280 including import duty, hubs from Chain Reaction were just shy of £200. So I’ve spent around £480 so far. Wheel build is going to £20 per wheel + I estimate £60 in spokes (including spares). And then there is the rim tape and valves. So another £20. Looks to be around £600 all in.

craiig
    Free Member

There is some guy on eBay selling them for £719. He is also offering One year manufacturing defect warranty, 2 year crash replacement policy. That seems like a reasonable price for next day delivery and avoiding a load of hassle?

njee20
    Free Member

I estimate £60 in spokes (including spares).

If you’re buying them (as opposed to the builder) then they should be way less than that unless you want something special. Rose Bikes are really cheap for DT Competitions.

p0rridge
    Free Member

Has anybody gone so far as to buy complete wheels from Light Bicycle? Or know someone who has? It’s looking like that might be a pretty good option, although I do need to figure out what the import duty is likely to be.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Light Bicycle wheel build questions’ is closed to new replies.