• This topic has 24 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Light Bicycle vs. Nextie vs. ICAN rims.
  • Daffy

Morning all, what recent experiences do people have of the above companies?

I’m looking to purchase some new Rims, and whilst I have some LB 650b and Nextie 29er rims, both have been bought SH. Does anyone have any experience of the above with respect to warranty, shipping and quality?

Based purely upon cosmetics, the Nextie rims seem VERY nice.

Cheers,

M

Daffy

Anyone?

Jason
    Free Member

I have several sets of LB rims, been very pleased with all of them. I think the oldest are now 3 and a bit years old. I also have an Ican CX/road frame, quality of the frame seems very good, and communication and service from Ican was as good, if not better, than LB. Never tried Ican for rims, but if the price was good I would probably give them a go.

Daffy

I decided (after a brief bit of FEA) to go with the Nextie rims.

Just in case anyone finds this thread in the future.

russyh
    Free Member

Daffy, what Nexties did you buy please? What was the cost per rim? I have just noticed a crack on by the spoke eyes on my old LB

Daffy

Hey Russy – I’ve just received these (SH, but unused) Nextie Asymmetric 30mm 29er Rim for £115 per rim.

and have just ordered these 29+ rims 52mm Jungle Fox from Nextie for £154 per rim.. 😯

The most money I’ve ever spent on a rim….

Northwind

When I broke my LB rim it was already out of warranty- and tbh it just wasn’t a warranty, job, I did a blind drop onto a jaggy rock, like an idiot. They offered a discounted replacement and let me convert it into a discount for a 29er set. It wasn’t massive, £25 IIRC but a nice touch.

Probably more importantly, an equivalent weight alu rim wouldn’t have lasted months never mind years, and any alu rim manufacturer would just laugh if you said “I put your weightweenie race rim in a hardcore hardtail for 2 years then broke it on an uplift”

TBH none of the carbon fatbike rims really got my attention- there was an 80mm one I liked, maybe from Ican? But I could only find it in a wheelset, and I didn’t want 65mm. So I went DT BR710, it’s pretty similiar weight

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m tempted by ICAN, they’ve got some really (relatively) cheap 65mm fat bike rims.

I’ve seen/heard of a couple of Nextie rims being warrantied for cosmetic problems, the colour is just in the paint, not the epoxy, so chips off easier than the powdercoat on aluminium rims.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Couldn’t find much in the way of reviews for the 650b ican rims.. .mega price though!

Daffy

I couldn’t find ICAN rims for sale on their own, just wheelsets…

Daffy

I’ve just weighed my RabbitHole 29er Fat rims and with the wheelstrip, they’re over 800g each. I’m hoping to get over 1.5lbs out of the bike by going carbon.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve got Nextie rims on my CX race bike (tubular) and on my road bike (clincher). I have been very pleased with them. Had them for about a year now and so far they have been faultless.

rollodes
    Free Member

I have nextie 50mm rims on my semi-fat/plus bike. They are well made, light, hookless, go tubeless nicely and are generally great. They aren’t the cheapest, but they ae very good. I’m saving for some more to upgrade my full-fat bike from Holey rolling Darryls.

Rollo

divenwob
    Free Member

I have some 90mm Nextie’s that I got SH, already had a few scars to the paintwork but great for tubeless.

paule
    Free Member

If you happen to be after narrow 26″ xc rims, superstar are selling then for £69.99 (less 25% today I think).

dirtyrider
    Free Member

did you buy direct Daffy?

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 pairs of Nexties (4″ and 3″) and I think they are the dogs.

Major advantage is you now have a UK supplier in Slam69, great bunch of guys. Ring Graham Foot up and he’ll sort ya.

Daffy

dirtyrider – Member

Did you buy direct, Daffy?

I did. I had no idea that Slam were doing them, but looking at the pricing, I think they have a 100% mark-up, which, TBH, I think is quite fair.

hishairyness
    Free Member

Slam69 here, yes we import Nextie and handle any issues, plus build wheels. The markup is tiny to be honest. its certainly not 100% haha. Our original plan was to hold stock but so far they have not been able to supply quick enough although things are getting better. The idea is to speed things up and offer a quick backup. Also the rims are excellent with lots of new ones coming.

Daffy

Sorry, Gents – no offence intended I was just gauging based on the price I paid for my 29+

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sorry, Gents – no offence intended I was just gauging based on the price I paid for my 29+

I suspect Slam probably pay VAT and import duty 😛

Daffy

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I suspect Slam probably pay VAT and import duty

I factored this in (considering that, as a business, you only pay the VAT when you sell)…to both mine and their costs with a multiplication factor of 1.25.

I’m fully expecting my rims to cost £400 for the pair when all is said and done.

EDIT – I didn’t realise that the Wild Dragon rims were SOO much more than the 29+ rims.

If I were Slam, I’d raise the price given they’re taking on a reasonable amount of potential hassle.

STATO
    Free Member

thinking about some 29+ rims so just checked.

Direct $250 each (~£175) +post +vat
    Slam69 £205 each (based on 27+ rims they list).

Worth sticking with UK supplier for that price difference, if they get stock anyway.

[edit] yeah seeing the Snow rims at £300 each had put me off even considering Slam as I hadn’t realised how much they were in $ direct

Daffy

Ah – that’s different rims you’re comparing there –

The nextie ones at Slam are these 650B+ Nextie Rims

Which’re only $155+$30 shipping if ordered in pairs, so $180 £-$ = /1.4 and Vat+duty = *1.25 so, ~£165 per rim. £205 is a bargain.

I’m also told that If you buy in bulk only minimal discounts are available, but that you’ll save on shipping.

STATO
    Free Member

Daffy, I was comparing the crocodiles. EDIT: yes I was comparing the wrong rims on Slam 😥 Doh!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Light Bicycle vs. Nextie vs. ICAN rims.’ is closed to new replies.