Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • light bicycle rim on a dt swiss 350 with 28 spokes – bad idea?
  • neiloxford
    Free Member

Need your advice.

I am wanting to try out some carbon rims and combine it with building my own wheels.

I have found DT swiss rear hubs for £69 plus shipping from germany on ebay. (Ebay link)

I ride a 140mm trail bike, and enjoy uplift days at forest of dean and bike park wales. I weigh 85-88KG.

Am i making a mistake with 28 holes at the back?

DT78
    Free Member

I wouldn’t….

neiloxford
    Free Member

any other views please?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

I’ve got a couple of 28h wheels- both started out as standard Roval Traversees, with DT Revs, one of them now has an LB rim on it as I killed the Roval one. Anyway, it works OK for me, the wheels were always a big marginal for hard use and it shows but the one with the LB rim on is working well- will be using it for the EWS this weekend. Frankly I think the spokes are too weak for the job but the spoke count doesn’t seem to be an issue. But then I weigh 3/4s of your weight.

Having said all that… I’m getting a set of DT240s on LB rims for the big bike and it’s going 32h.

njee20
    Free Member

In an ideal world I’d get 32h, but those hubs are a bargain, so go nuts!

tonyg2003

I’m riding on LB 32h rims. They seem incredibly stiff so they might be OK at 28h but 14stone and using them at BPW/FoD I’d go 32h.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

I use bontrager wheels with 28 spokes – they have no recommended weight limit and I weigh more than yourself. I’ve had no problems. Their Race X lites at 1460 grams a pair are 28 spoke and have no weight restrictions.
    http://www.bontrager.com/model/11069.

neiloxford
    Free Member

the 240s are also cheap…think its worth risking…(ebay 240s)

njee20
    Free Member

At that price I would.

Northwind

I ended up buying a DT wheelset and robbing the hubs out of it, worked out really well.

neiloxford
    Free Member

That is a good idea, off I go to search ebay…

Gee76
    Free Member

I’ve run 28 hole Dt 350’s and 240’s on LB carbon rims, both 26″ and 29″ with Dt Revs and have been fine for my riding. I think the stiffness of the rims more than makes up for the lack of spokes (as do some manufacturers who have also dropped spoke counts down on their carbon wheels). They don’t seem excessively difficult to build and true IMHO anyways.

I weigh about 80kg without bike gear and ride reasonably hard but don’t go too mad these days.

I was about to order from Bikestacja shortly anyway (for myself and a friend) – incidentally seem the cheapest in Europe for Dt Revs. Think they’re actually in Poland. Good prices though.

BearBack
    Free Member

Being that my the current DT Swiss Spline One XM and EX wheelsets are 28h..26″ thru 29″.. I’d have absolutely no concern running a 28h carbon build.
    DT go to 32h again for their EXC 1550 but built with light bladed spokes.

ellietwed
    Free Member

if its any help I have a ~Bontrager/DT swiss front wheel..28h disc with Bontrager racelite rim up for sale…;-)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle rim on a dt swiss 350 with 28 spokes – bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts