Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Light Bicycle quoted ERD's – accurate?
  • wwaswas

Would be good to buy spokes so I’m ready to build when they arrive but just wanted to check what peoples experiences with actual v quoted ERD’s are?

I’m looking at their mid width 29er and 65mm fat bike rims.

mikeep
    Free Member

I found them accurate using this:

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator

I bought spokes before rims arrived.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

given my 1295g-quoted-weight wheels weigh 1297g, they seem to be pretty good on tolerances 🙂

Northwind

My first one was slightly out but not by much- perhaps 2mm in spoke length at most. So when I got the second set I waited til they arrived and got icycles to measure them and order, rather than working from the quotes, just seemed more sensible.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Same here.

gee
    Free Member

They vary. Some models are spot on others less so.

650b 30mm wide spot on
    29er 27mm wide hookless a little bigger than they say – add 2mm to spokes

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, my XC 29er hookless rims were out – I had to rebuild the rear after a year as nipples kept breaking. Adding 2mm sounds wise on those.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t believe any quoted ERD. I’ve built probably hundreds of wheels and the only one I’ve ever got the spoke lengths wrong for was for an ERD I found online and didn’t measure myself. Never again! 🙂
    2 spokes, screw on and tighten down a nipple on each spoke, cut spoke to 200mm from the bottom of the nipple shoulder, slot into opposite sides of the rim, pull tight and measure the distance between the ends of the spokes. Add 400mm to this and Bob’s your mothers brother.

wwaswas

Think I’ll wait and measure, cheers 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Yes, my XC 29er hookless rims were out – I had to rebuild the rear after a year as nipples kept breaking. Adding 2mm sounds wise on those.

Personally I wouldn’t believe any quoted ERD. I’ve built probably hundreds of wheels and the only one I’ve ever got the spoke lengths wrong for was for an ERD I found online and didn’t measure myself. Never again!

The few LB rims I’ve built are all out by about 4mm on the ERD, which means add 2mm to all the spoke lengths in reality. Not great, but if you know to expect it you can counter for it.

To be fair, I’ve built hundreds of wheels over the years. Most rims are pretty much bang on for their quoted ERD, but I’ve got to say that like LB, Stans ERD’s are somewhat optimistic. Maybe not quite so bad, but I add 2-3mm onto the ERD of Stan’s rims every time when calculating spoke lengths, otherwise you can end up with plenty of thread showing on the spoke ends when built!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Stans ERD’s are somewhat optimistic

I’ve had a pair of ‘identical’ Stans rims to build that had ERDs printed on them. They were both different!
    (Lots different)
    I emailed Stans and, yes, they knew there were rims out there with the wrong stickers on them…..

dirtyrider
    Free Member

wide U-shaped road rims, 1 was out,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Light Bicycle quoted ERD's – accurate?’ is closed to new replies.