Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • light bicycle carbon wheel build question
  • jimsmith
    Free Member

Hi All,
    Ive been building some very lovely light bicycle rims on DT 340s with DT Revolution spokes.
    Its the first time Ive built on carbon rims but Ive built lots of Alu wheels…
    My question is the tensio (I use the DT manual one) is reading pretty low on the scale. I would expect to be running at least 800 to 1000N for this kind of build but the spokes feel and sound right at much less than this.

I am assuming the stiffness of the rim changes the optimum spoke tension, the spokes are wound up to the top of the nipples and I am happy with the build but just seeking reassurance really that this low reading is OK>?

cheers

mboy
    Free Member

Personally I found that I had to use spoke tensions almost off the chart to achieve build stiffness that I was happy with. Found it a bit disconcerting, but my experience was also backed up by others who have built them too.

My advice would certainly be to keep an eye on tensions and re-true after the first couple of rides at least.

For reference mine are the older shape 30mm external 29er rims and I’ve used both Sapim DLite spokes in one build and ACI comp double butted spokes in another (just what I had to hand in the right lengths at the time).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mboy +1. Especially on the rear wheel, DS had to be super tight to get NDS near anything that wouldn’t un-wind without the dish being off.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon wheel build question’ is closed to new replies.