Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • mikeep
    Free Member

Rode my set of 29er hookless xc rims on hope hubs for the first time around the Glentress 7 on Sat. They were awesome. Accelerate so quickly and are super stiff and accurate. They came in at 340grms each. 40grms less than 29er crest.

Whole wheel build was 1600grms with sapim race spokes. You could easily go sub 1500grms but I wanted some robustness.

@alexsimonhttp://www.light-bicycle.com/bead-hook-less-rims-carbon-29er-light-bike-rim-tubeless-compatible.html#.U4hjSfldV8E

AlexSimon

Thanks mikeep – I thought they looked like the ones, but could only find 29er size (probably wont buy a 29er)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Most of these seem to be massive rims at a similar weight to alu xc rims

Yes. This is entirely my objective. wide, low pressure tyres with well supported sidewalls due to the wide rims, without the weight of a big alu rim. Ancillary benefits are increased stiffness and strength.

AlexSimon

Yes, I can understand that this is what a lot of people want.
    I only weigh 58kg though so most things are overbuilt for me. Rims are one of the few opportunities where I can buy something more appropriate for my weight.

_daveR
    Free Member

Have people found the quoted ERD of 589mm to be correct for the 35mm 29er rim?

The DT calculator is giving me lengths of 284mm and 285mm for hope Pro 2 evo hubs.

If I understand correctly, and those lengths are correct, I need to buy 286mm spokes?

bigjim

the ERD on my 26in rims was bigger than stated, though the error could be on either side, but I’m glad I waited to measure them.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I can check mine tonight if you want? I can’t remember the length off the top of my head (they were bought in by my LBS mate), but I have a few spare spokes still in the box at home. 35mm 29er rims on Pro2 Evo hubs.

_daveR
    Free Member

Perfect, thanks.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

@Mikeep – did you get the XC or All Mountain version?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, I can understand that this is what a lot of people want.
    I only weigh 58kg though so most things are overbuilt for me. Rims are one of the few opportunities where I can buy something more appropriate for my weight.

They do a c320g 26″ rim. Not hookless though. Email and ask for pair at the light end of their range and they’ll do it.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Dave – my Supercomps are 286mm.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Alexsimon- if you can point me to an Ali 29er 35mm wide rim that weighs 420g – I’m all ears!!!

_daveR
    Free Member

Much appreciated Yetiman!

Did you build with 12mm or 14mm nipples?

AlexSimon

Alexsimon- if you can point me to an Ali 29er 35mm wide rim that weighs 420g – I’m all ears!!!

That isn’t what I said. I said light bicycle make 35mm rims at a similar weight to narrower alu rims.

Yetiman
    Free Member

No worries Dave. The nipples are 12mm silver brass ones.

kimbers

well my 650b 35mm hookless on pro2s were excellent at ews, no bother with some of the nastiest rocks and roots ive had to deal with

bol

Is anyone running 2.1 tyres on the 35mm rims? I’d like to replace my Crest/Arch Ex combo with carbon, and am tempted by the 35s, but don’t want to have to always run big tyres.

kimbers

mtbr have fallen out of love with the LB rims……

WHEEL FAIL | Cheap carbon rim is destroyed.One of our riding crew has a brand new Rocky Mountain Altitude 160mm travel…

Posted by Mtbr.com on Tuesday, June 3, 2014

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Looking at that thread there seems to be some debate as to whether they’re LB rims

Daffy

fuzzhead – Member
    Looking at that thread there seems to be some debate as to whether they’re LB rims

Only because the morons who replied later in the thread, failed to read all the previous sub sectioned replies before wading in with opinions. LB are quite clearly named by MTBR in the reply asking to name and shame.

nikk
    Free Member

Shit breaks.

We really have no clue how hard a rider this was. There is a massive difference between riders, and how they use the stuff. 160mm travel bike makes me think they are quite gnarrrr.

_daveR
    Free Member

Saw the fb thread last night. You have to wonder what sponsor influence is going on for a site to be so vocal about a particular brand.
    Ironically, their own mtbr thread about lb rims is the biggest one on the net and has minimal failures being reported.

You only ever hear of the bad news/problems. Never from the people that run them with no issues. But if people are riding these rims expecting them to perform miracles then they are fools. As said above. Shit breaks.

sq225917
    Free Member

Shit breaks, you haul ass on the jumps you are going to crack stuff. I’m more than confident that i’ll never stress my carbon rims beyond their durability. MTBR is home of the nasty smear campaign, always has been when the vested interests come out to protect themselves.

One rim does not a summer make. Just looking at the way LB rims are sold, direct to customer accounts for them being 50% less expensive than any other brand, add in their none US labour and that accounts for them being half as much as ENVE rims once again.

There’s really no story here other than rider no one knows breaks part in unconfirmed circumstances. And given we’ve all seen broken ENVE rims at £800 who really cares.

AlexSimon

This bit was fairly telling:

Doug Mann I was behind him when the crack/crash occurred (on a smaller jump that he popped pretty high to a flattish landing). For one thing, this guy goes BIG and rides hard on tech trails. He’s sticking with LB’s but switching to the DH version. Their failure rate is no worse than Enve’s–according to the 100’s of pages of reviews on MTBR! Putting down the rims is bit disingenuous. Scot Nicol from Ibis checked out their factory and has stated that their solid rims; they just couldn’t produce enough for them.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The ENVE rim above was ridden cracked if I remember the pinkbike article

honourablegeorge

Just noticed these folks amongst the comments – http://www.nextie-bike.com/

They do carbon fatbike rims too

njee20
    Free Member

Indeed it was, still failed pretty catastrophically in a short period between crack appearing though, perfectly plausible that most folk wouldn’t notice the crack. Not really the point either.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’m trying to decide between Nextie and LB for my 35mm rim. I have a fatbike rim on order.

davosaurusrex

Update on my 29er 35mm LBs for anyone interested. Had them rebuilt with DT Supercomps, came in at 1700g dead on the shop scales with Hope Pro 2s, were 1800g previously with Sapim Race. Pretty pleased with the weight, lightest set of wheels I’ve ever owned.
    Set them up tubeless last night, the Hans Dampfs aren’t quite as tight now they’ve been on and off a few times. One wrap of Superstar 29mm tape (fits perfectly), poured in some Stans and then pumped them up with a track pump without rotating the wheel so effectively no sealant. Went up and held 40psi straight away, reassuring pops from the beads seating. Think these will be much more secure tubeless than my e13s.
    Rode today with about 25psi, usually ride 30-35psi tubed, grip was superb (as was the stiffness). Hope the rims hold up because I’m loving them so far. Wasn’t really convinced about tubeless last time I tried but feels great with these rims.

mikekay
    Free Member

Mine have arrived at last, they’ve been sat in customs for 14 days and in the end went and picked them up from Parcelforce !

26″ 33mm wide AM rims with hope pro2 bare they weigh 1575g so about 200g lighter than the mavic crossmax they are replacing.

Fitted a rock razor on the back and trail king on the front, couldn’t believe how tight they are to get on but inflate with ease and feel solid when seated

looking forward to testing

RustyMac

This thread is useless without pics of wheels and bikes.

sq225917
    Free Member
    mikekay
    Free Member

burnie
    Free Member

Mine are supposed to arrive tomorrow! Getting exited now! I’m hoping to get them built up by the weekend, so hopefully I will be back to say good things about them then.

DT78
    Free Member

Liking the replica decals – where from?

cynic-al
    Free Member

For Goodness Sake.

Stickerless is where its at, not ENVY copy sticker tat!

RickDraper
    Free Member

Oh dear.

mikekay
    Free Member

Light bicycle did them for me, they’re not identical copies.

Lucky for you their on my wheels and not yours.

_daveR
    Free Member

Should get mine back built this week. Went with pro 2 hubs, dt revs and brass nipples.

davosaurusrex

Wouldn’t go for fake stickers myself but I think they look good and go with the rest of the bike well so why not.

Here’s mine;

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.