Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

Shining tor water bars have claimed many rims and tubes ha!

jamj1974

Because I am too lazy to read through all these pages what is the concensus?

– Are they strong and durable?
    – Is tubeless set up easy?
    – Any major issues?
    – Do they wear well – is their peeling of lacquer etc…?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes
    Yes
    No
    No

rickon
    Free Member

And as I’m also too lazy…. What is the concensus for the ideal LB rim for an AM/trail build wheel. Similar in strength to a Flow, with similar width?

Thinking about building some up on my spare Pro2 Evos

matther01
    Free Member

I on the other hand have read through all 17 bloody pages (commenting on one some several months ago!) and would also gratefully request some wisdom!

Anyone know what ERD I’d need for AC 32H hubs on 650b 35mm hookless? As it seems as some ERDs quoted are a bit off.

What is the best finish (as I’m liking the matt UD best but could be swayed)?

What spokes/nipple combo for rider weight v light wheel build (about 12.5st trail riding with odd enduro)? Was hoping for 1500-1600g

Cheers

J-R

Anybody got advice on running these tubeless?

I see some posts have said that for the 33mm rims use Stans Downhill rim strip, but that only seems to come with a schrader valve fitted, not a presta.

Will the Lite Bike rims accept a schrader valve?

Northwind

I’m using mine just with yellow tape. Well, blue tape rather but it’s basically the same. Working well so far though they’ve not had a huge amount of use. 2 chaps in our holiday group were using them with specialized tlr tyres and tape, seemed fine for them too

Did we ever get a concensus on the ERD accuracy of the 26 inch 33mm ones?

Candodavid
    Free Member

I used gorilla tape on all 3 pairs of mine

mst
    Free Member

I bought a set of CX wheels. The front one developed a bulge after less than 20 miles. They want to send me a replacement rim only and leave me with the cost of having the wheel rebuilt. Not very happy at that

benpinnick

I on the other hand have read through all 17 bloody pages (commenting on one some several months ago!) and would also gratefully request some wisdom!

Anyone know what ERD I’d need for AC 32H hubs on 650b 35mm hookless? As it seems as some ERDs quoted are a bit off.

What is the best finish (as I’m liking the matt UD best but could be swayed)?

What spokes/nipple combo for rider weight v light wheel build (about 12.5st trail riding with odd enduro)? Was hoping for 1500-1600g

Cheers

You can use 551 as quoted, I have built a few with that and its ok.

UD matt is defintely the nicest

DT Supercomp/Comp Race or Sapim DLite with prolock Alu or SIL Alu respectively. I would strongly recommend locking nipples on these rims.

benpinnick

And as I’m also too lazy…. What is the concensus for the ideal LB rim for an AM/trail build wheel. Similar in strength to a Flow, with similar width?

Thinking about building some up on my spare Pro2 Evos

MUCH wider… I mean massively so. Stronger too.

singlespeedstu

So are all you people ordering direct from the LB site or through Ebay?
    My fingers itching over the buy button. 🙂

Mbnut
    Free Member

Literally just had a pair of 35mm hookless 29ers built with Hope Pro2s and DT Super Comp spokes.

I have used Gorilla Tape since going tubeless 5 years ago. Light, cheap and lasts years.

Schwable Hans Dampf and Rocket Ron went up straight away with track pump and never leaked, jallop added 2 days later.

Wheel weight with Gorilla Tape and tubeless valves 1732g for 29er.

They built up great and ride flipping lovely.

Yet to break a LB rim, been on them a couple of years, 15st kitted and ride like a nut over everything.

njee20
    Free Member

So are all you people ordering direct from the LB site or through Ebay?

I bought direct.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Direct.

localhero94
    Free Member

Direct here too.

singlespeedstu

Cheers all.
    Ordered direct.

pedlad

Ordered direct too very efficient. Got them all built up on hope pro II evo and sat with tyres on (tubed just to shape the tyres a bit) but will run tubeless. Look cool and stealthy…Unfortunately my new frame is delayed so it’s driving me made as can’t wait to see how they spin…

trickydisco
    Free Member

What’s the delivery time on these?

Interested in a set for a disc cross build as some UK suppliers have quoted £200 a rim!

njee20
    Free Member

About 4-6 weeks until there in your hands, much of that once they land in the UK.

trickydisco
    Free Member

cheers. Really wanting a light set of rims for a disc cross build

Why does no one in the UK stock carbon rims?

twonks

Has anybody come to these rims from Hope Hoops with Arch EX rims?

I currently use them tubeless with 2.25 tyres on my SC Superlight (26″) and whilst I don’t feel there is anything particularly bad at all with my current wheels, I do have a need for some better ones on my other bike.

The thoughts are to buy either a set of AM rims from LB and build them up on some older ProII hubs (non evo) I have, or buy a set of complete wheels with Hope/Nova hubs from LB. Then drop the Hope hoops to the second bike.

Riding is mainly XC with black trail centre routes / peaks etc, and I don’t jump around or go mad on rock gardens etc.

But I do weight 110KG kitted up.

Am I just wasting money as I don’t find anything to complain about from the Stans rims, or are there noticeable differences that enhance riding?

bigjim

I got these to replace some normal non EX arch rims, you aren’t going to notice any massive difference, the only thing I’ve noticed is they are stiffer and the tire rolls less on the rim

AlexSimon

nm

johnny

Just had a look on the LB site, there are some 38mm rims listed!? Is this a new development, or have I just not scrolled back far enough through this thread?

mrski1

Hi all, I am looking to replace my 29er Arch EX wheels with some LB rims as I keep bending the Arch EX rims and snapping spokes.

I am struggling to decide which width of rim to go for though, the 30mm or 35mm. I currently have a Cotic Solaris which I use a 2.25 on the back, 2.35 Hans Dampfs are too wide, would I have clearance issues with the 35mm rims?

ska-49
    Free Member

Heads up- LB now have 38mm 29er rims available (although not advertised yet) and they have 50mm 29er rims ready for the end of December.
    Same finish and options as usual.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone tried the fat bike rims?

$278 to lose 150gm seems a lot (tho I suspect you lose less on normal rims)

downhilldave

Just seen some unbuilt rims in my Lbs, very nice. Looks like I am gonna have to explain another set of wheels to Mrs Dhd. Thought I could resist. 😥

J273
    Free Member

Ive just received some Nextie hookless 35 wide and 28mm deep carbon rims and they are nice and look good quality.

Originally wanted derbys, but with these being half the price of derbys and 2 years warranty i thought id give them a go.

Im thinking of having a go at building these myself and possible sending to my LBS to be checked over. Already have some pro 2 evo hubs and after reading various post I’m best to build them with brass nipples.

Only thing I’m undecided on is what spokes to go with? Being a lightweight rider at 11.5st i don’t want to overbuild the things, but then again i want them to take some abuse.

Can anyone advise on what spokes to go with for the build and how do i figure out what length spoke i need?

Many thanks

enmac
    Free Member

I have just built up some rims using DT Swiss 240 hubs and Competition Spokes. The DT Swiss Spoke calculator with the Light Bicycle quoted ERD’s worked fine. I used aluminium nipples but if you aren’t too fussed about the slight extra weight brass nipples are easier to work with – because the rims are so stiff, you end up with pretty high spoke tension and it is easy to round off the alloy nipples.

Northwind

mrski1 – Member

I am struggling to decide which width of rim to go for though, the 30mm or 35mm. I currently have a Cotic Solaris which I use a 2.25 on the back, 2.35 Hans Dampfs are too wide, would I have clearance issues with the 35mm rims?

Hi- you won’t have clearance issues with the rims themselves, but they can fatten up tyres a little. Only a little- I put some numbers earlier in the thread which I can’t be bothered to look up but it was millimetres, way less than some articles suggest. So it could make the difference but it has to be really marginal (or it could push a “fits ok” into “doesn’t fit very well”)

mrski1

Northwind – Member
    mrski1 – Member

Hi- you won’t have clearance issues with the rims themselves, but they can fatten up tyres a little. Only a little- I put some numbers earlier in the thread which I can’t be bothered to look up but it was millimetres, way less than some articles suggest. So it could make the difference but it has to be really marginal (or it could push a “fits ok” into “doesn’t fit very well”)

Thanks for that, I decided to play it safe with the 30mm rims, still wider than my arch ex rims but hopefully that bit stiffer built up 🙂

J273
    Free Member

The 29mm superstar tape is this wide enough to be used on 35mm wide rims?

My rims have a 30mm inner width but are pretty deep.

J273
    Free Member

^^^ Or am i bet to use narrow tape to sit in the well of the rim, which is 11mm wide?

Thanks

kimbers

i sued the 30mm wtb stuff from crc on my 35mm rims, worked very well,

J273
    Free Member

Thanks – Did you manage to cover 2x 29er rims with it?

kimbers

ive done 3 650b rims and still got plenty left
    only had to go round once

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

thread resurrection!

after reading all 18 pages I’m just about to buy some 38mm hookless 650B rims from LB and wondered if anyone here had bought them over the 35mm? LB seem to recommend the 38mm over 35mm in all their web chats now and for $5 and 40g an end I can’t really see a reason why you wouldn’t want them. I think the extra width causing tyre profile issues had been debunked (in any case its less than 10% wider), but happy to hear any real life experiences.

cheers

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I was looking at these today as I was about to order my 35s when I saw the 38.

The 38mm have only been out a month or so. I saw one ride report on MTBR but that’s about it.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/new-light-bicycle-38mm-rims-941499.html

I reckon I’ll just go with the normal 35s. The width difference is neither here nor there. LB say the new ones are stronger but I don’t hear any negative issues with the strength of the 35s so I reckon they will be grand. I’m also slightly concerned that the extra strength plus significant extra height of the rim will add significant stiffness, and while one of the reasons for going with the carbon rims is the extra stiffness, I don’t want to go OTT. Especially on a short travel bike, too much stiffness may be a bad thing.

I haven’t chatted to LB themselves so I’d be interested to know what they had to say, especially regards the stiffness point.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.