Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Light bicycle carbon rims
  • brian2510
    Free Member

Hi all has Anyone got any experience on light bicycle carbon rims looking at carbon Am728 rims,this will be my first venture into the carbon world of wheels,prices look to good to be true are these just as good as enve rims.any feedback from past and present owners would be great

howsyourdad1
    Free Member
    mattyfez

They are fine, just take thier advice when speccing them up, a 28 spoke XC layup is probably not wise if you weigh a hundred kilos and do more AM riding with the technique of a sack of tatties. like me 😀

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

my review here

Light bicycle carbon rims 6 month review. Ok 6 months in and things are looking good for the LB carbon rims. The spoke tension is still good the decals haven’t lifted the rims are still running true and no sign of problems. I have been running a fairly sensible tyre pressure (2bar) and had 1 puncture. Sharp rock not pinch flat. There plenty of signs of use from rocks being thrown up etc. the Chris king hubs are silky smooth as ever. Tyres go up tubeless with some stans tape and a track pump. They’ve been down plenty of Lake District descents including the rock fest that is Castle Crag. Just need a pair for the 29er now. So far so good.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Do they do any decent sets for XC?
    Either i’m failing horribly at navigating their site, or they seem a bit on the heavy side.

neil853
    Free Member

I have had one set of 18 months (650b 35mm) and another set for 2years (29″ 35mm). The 29er set are on my hard and have been battered all over the uk and are still absolutely perfect. They are the Matt finish which imo is the better as it seems to hide the marks better. These have been ran tubeless, rimmed out on rocks and are still deadly true. The 650b ones are the gloss finish so look a little tatty’er even though they’re newer. These have been ran in my full sus that been to the Alps twice and done various enduros and consequently ran with the schwalbe pro core system. Now I’ve just last month had a rear failure where the wall had effectively come away along an 8″ section. Now I’m a decent sized chap and have always ran the pro core inner chamber at its maximum 80psi and I’m convinced this has had something to do with it. Anyway even though the rim was 18 months old (12 month warranty) they replaced completely FOC. Outstanding communication also. I really can’t rate lightbycle highly enough I think they represent good value (better exchange rate when I bought mine but still cheap comparatively) and the company really do want your business and seem to go that extra mile for you. They’re not a budget product by any stretch and it does make you wonder why rims like enve, industry 9 and such like are so expensive

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I’m running 2 sets…29×50 & 26×65…both run on my fully rigid frame.

The front’s are on a 135 Hope Fatsno with DTswiss spokes.

The rears are offset drilled to accommodate my Rohloff on the offset rear traingle of my frame.

The 29 set have been great with no issues to speak of.

The 26 rear with a 4.8 at 8psi failed after about 5 months. I ‘think’ that the fact that the rim is offset drilled make for a slightly weaker rim. The rim cracked on both external & internal walls…not something that can be repaired.

To be fair, I was going full chat down a long landrover track. I’m not aware of hitting anything although there are a few deep depressions in the trail that can buck you if you’re not careful. No strike marks or dings are on the rim.

LB were great…I sent off the associated photos of the rim and after a few back and forth emails they came back within 48 hours with a new rim under warranty. Top marks from me on that front.

I’m putting the failure down to the fact that a) the wheel is built up as an offset wheel thus placing more pressure on the external face and not the centre of the rim. That being said it was the opposite side that failed not the offset side b) I was going at full speed c) at 185lbs I’m no weight weenie…more pies please!

Northwind

fifeandy – Member

Either i’m failing horribly at navigating their site, or they seem a bit on the heavy side.

They tend to lean towards heavier duty and wider- I suppose that’s where you get the biggest advantage, with XC wheels you can built thinner and weaker rims and nobody minds too much, so the advantage of carbon could be smaller.

adsh
    Free Member

Either i’m failing horribly at navigating their site, or they seem a bit on the heavy side

I just bought the lightest rims they did 2 years ago. I asked for the lightest and they undertook to ensure they were no more than X.

From memory they were only about 20g lighter than Crests but add to that the ability to run lighter spokes (and fewer if you care to) and still have a stiffer rim and the difference is greater.

I’d be tempted with their tubular rim…….

Tracey

Got a mixture of carbon wheels between the four of us including Specialized Rovals, Sixth Element, LBs and Superstar. All have been used and abused in the Alps and all over the UK. Abigale has raced a full season on hers and apart from a few rock scratches they look as good as new. Both sets of Superstar were on the bikes that we had stolen last month. Whenwe we buy again it will be Sixth Element ones. Graham at Sixth Element is very knowledgeable and discussed the different rims and build in detail with our last ones

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I have two sets and like others above, I can’t fault the rims or the service. The 2 year old set on my Bronson has been reasonably abused on many rocky Cairngorm descents. They have been smacked into water bars etc hard enough to pinch flat tubeless tyres due to my incompetence but are still dead true and unmarked.

Also worth mentioning that, at least with Schwalbe and Maxxis tyres, tubeless goes up first time every time just with a track pump and they are easy to get on and off

On one comment above, the decals do not come off because they sit under the clear coat. Its pretty easy to get them to do custom decal colours and they send you a mock-up of the decal on the rim to check its OK

flanagaj
    Free Member

Great rims. Get them to build the wheels with DT Swiss 240s or 350s and you’ll have a cracking wheelset 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.