Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Light Bicycle Carbon options
  • jk1980
    Free Member

After much deliberating, I’ve finally decided that I’m going for the LB carbon rims for my 26 trail bike. I was looking at the new Mavic Crossmax XL or maybe Flows, but the LBs will be much cheaper and wider so I figure they’d be worth a go.

Just have a couple of questions about what options to go for. The 33mm wide AM rim at 375g caught my attention, as really I guess trail=AM so I’m assuming it will be strong enough for drops, rocks/roots, jumps but maybe not 25 foot gaps (not that I can do that anyway!). Having contacted LB with asking the question “Could you please tell me, is the AM rim strong enough for jumps, roots and rocks”, they’ve suggested that I might be better with the 440g DH version 26er, hookless and 33mm wide, telling me it will be stronger and stiffer. Has anyone got the 33mm AM version to vouch for its strength? Or are they right and you really need the DH version for this sort of riding?

Also – what finish do people think works best? Its really hard to tell from the photos they’ve sent me! There is 3k, 12k or UD. And Matte or Gloss.

Cheers

Tracey

Ive got the AM ones on my Enduro, strong enough for me but Im only a 9 stone girl with enough suspension to soak up most of the hits. Mine are matte UD

localhero94
    Free Member

Matte UD here too – very pleased with the finish.

AlexSimon

Matt UD is the modern matt plain finish (i.e. no visible weave).
    Like you would see on ENVEs, the new Santa Cruz carbon bits, Easton bars, etc, etc.
    That’s what I would go for.

Northwind

I’ve got the 33mm AM version, to be fair they’ve not had a huge amount of use- a couple of enduro races, a bunch of everyday riding- but they’re certainly not fragile. TBH if you need the DH version for that sort of everyday trailbikin’ they’ve screwed up!

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got matt 3k, and would get it again.

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve got 3k Matt 35mm 29er version, and a 650b pair on the way in 3k gloss, went for the gloss to try and make them a bit more scratch resistant. Love mine, really pleased with them.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks – I really wasn’t sure what matte ud was, but that makes sense now.

So is the general consensus that the AM version should be strong enough?

qwerty
    Free Member

Any idea on total cost of a pair of these in pounds sterling including shipping and customs etc?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s been done about 3.4 million times. It’ll depend on the exchange rate, if your bank charge for foreign purchases and how much you get stung for tax, import etc.

Mine (hookless 29er) were £248 and £36 charges I think. It’ll be that sort of ball park, no one can tell you exactly what it’ll be.

ska-49
    Free Member

2x rims came in at £265, inc. all duty/tax/postage.

julians
    Free Member

I had a set of the 33mm 26 inch AM rims on my bike, they were fine for 9 months of general rocky trail riding, but then I cracked the rear in two places when I hit a water bar at speed.

I’ve replaced it with their DH version, so will see how that one goes.

jk1980
    Free Member

LB have come back to me and recommended the DH version depending on my weight. They’ve said “Normally, the AM version is for trail riding and light riders. Basically they seem to be a beefed up XC bike or a tamed down DH bik. If your weight is around 75kg, then let us take the AM version you like :)”

I’m about 81kg without kit so I think I will go for the DH version – they’re still lighter than flows. Plus I’m not tubeless at the moment so will be trying that at the same time.

What spokes are people generally running with these? I’ve normally gone for DT completion but was thinking of maybe giving super comp or revelation a go

neil853
    Free Member

Revolution on mine

enmac
    Free Member

I got 2 35mm 27.5 rims delivered last week. Paid $414 to Light Bicycle and did not have any import duty. Took just over 3 weeks, but that included a week of Chinese national holiday.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve normally gone for DT completion but was thinking of maybe giving super comp or revelation a go

Competitions are a sold all round choice. Revolutions are great for light builds, Super Comps I’m not so sure about myself – flexier than a Comp, heavier than a Rev and just as expensive.

waldo1
    Free Member

If you’re going for 26in then LB can make your rims fully UST with a sealed rim bed…. Winner!

jk1980
    Free Member

Waldo – sorry not sure what you mean, could you please explain? Dont know much at all about tubeless as I’m giving it a go for the first time with these rims. Do you mean they can cover up the spoke holes like they do on the mavic crossmax xl? I was just planning to buy some stans tape…

njee20
    Free Member

I’d do that. A sealed rim will be heavier and more faff to build. Zero advantage IMO.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Light Bicycle Carbon options’ is closed to new replies.