Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Light AM Wheels
  • Radioman

I’m starting to think of upgrading the wheels on my SC Carbon Nomad. I’ m looking for something durable yet light(the Impossible?). I have shortlisted a few builds. The use is AM so the wheels need to survive Alps trips and air travel!!

Just for info I am currently running Hope Bulbs(with ss freewheel upgrade) on Mavic 321s which are very reliable (have been fine since purchase in 2005!)but rather heavy by modern standards. I mostly use Maxxis Ardent 2.4″ Tyres.

Here is my shortlist:

1)Hope Evo Hubs on DT EX500s(Hope Hoops) currently my most favoured option…heavier than others but repairable and have strong spokes/brass nipples. Was thinking of Stans Flow but have been told they are not good with higher tyre pressures and can pop off the rim.. If I’m doing rooty DH stuff I find I get pinch punctures unless I run fairly high pressures

2)Mavic SX. Light strong, but pricey & not very easy to source bits for and scary Aluminium Spokes which may not be as durable as steel. Also just 24 spokes!!!

3)Halo 4XR wheel set . Seem to weigh the same as the Mavics. Much cheaper and seem to get good reviews in magazines…

Comments most welcome!

acjim
    Free Member

I recently got some Mavic SX’s – 2nd hand but in excellent nick (thanks Greg) – really really nice wheels – light as a feather and super stiff. I’m assuming they’ll be strong too. Tubeless is great too.

Have you considered the Specialized Roval Traverse? They were on my list until the SX came up used. Meant to be good but not as stiff

wrecker
    Free Member

SX’s here. Very happy, They are very very strong. I don’t want to go into how I know this 😳
    But trust, me they are very durable.

Radioman

Cheers for that i’ll take a look at the Rovals too..

footflaps

The whole point of Stans rims is to run tubeless so you don’t get pinch flats…. and can run low pressures…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

rebuilt the Bulbs with higher-end rims (if they have the same ERD you could even re-use the spokes)? Whats wrong with the bulbs-how much heavier than evos, is there anything wrong with yours?

Radioman

If I ran low pressures doing rooty DH runs I would wreck the rims… I have used proper UST tubeless over some years but when i lower pressures i also get mud getting into the sidewalls when the tyre “burps”. Now even on my trail bike with Mavic 519s I use tubes…

Radioman

Probably good idea maybe just change the rims as the bulbs are fine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Light AM Wheels’ is closed to new replies.