Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Ligament damage and repair
  • owenfackrell
    Free Member

I had what I initially thought was a minor slip on some stairs where I missed the bottom step and came down heavily on to my ankle. Went and go it checked out at the local walk in centre where they took an X-ray to rule out any breakages. The bones were ok so they gave me a boot and some crutches to use with the advice to use rice techniques. After a week it was still really painful so went to the gp who signed me off work and sent a referral to our local orthopaedic choice.
    They sent me through an appointment, which was nearly 2 months after I had the incident, which I duly attended. The consultant told me that I needed an MRI of the ankle.
    I have had the MRI done and they say the the ATF ligament is completely ruptured as there is no sign of it on the MRI and the CF ligament is at least partially ruptured as it is not clear and could also be fully ruptured. It’s now been 10 weeks since I did it I’m still having to use the boot and a crutch and take pain killers. I have not quite 2 weeks untill the next appointment to find out what this means in terms of surgery or not.
    My question to you all is, has anyone else done this and what was your experience and if you had to have the surgery how long was it till you were back on a bike.

welshfarmer

I tore my lateral ligament in my right knee on an icy path in the Alps while in Germany. A&E next day put it in a fibreglass cast and an MRI a couple of says later confirmed the tear. 3 weeks later cast was off and into intensive physio, including electric shock treatment. I am happy to say that after a month or so of treatment it all returned to normal and that being 20 years ago I haven’t had a twinge from it since. At the time I was terrified I was never going to be able to continue with all the active sports I was doing. In the event it just put me out of action for a couple of months. If you think about the injuries professional footballers get and they are up and playing withing weeks with the right treatment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Ligament damage and repair’ is closed to new replies.