Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Lift Incredularity
  • jimmy

How many times does the same converstaion get played out in a busy lift…

"Its supposed to fit 13 in!!!"
    "13!! never! I can't imagine that!!!'

Well, no – not with your grotesquely obese stature, love. Jesus.

Is all.

jon1973
    Free Member

How many times does the same converstaion get played out in a busy lift…

I take the stairs so I wouldn't be exposed to such conversations or the angry thin people that listen to them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

*starts "lame thread incedularity" thread* 😛

glenh
    Free Member

ha! mine wouldn't move the other day because it was over-weight, despite having one less than the maximum number of people.

I had to get out and take the stairs.

p.s. I'm not that fat, just the only one willing to walk!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

or the angry thin people that listen to them.

angry because the lift is full of bloaters ??

scaredypants

Incredularity. n. A combination of incredulity, hilarity and self-satisfaction.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I usually just comment on the interesting increase in assumed average passenger weight. In lifts from teh 60s they assume a 75kg average weight, in the newer lifts they assume 85kg average.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I was in the National Museum in Edinburgh at the weekend and got in one of the lifts. It was made by a company called Schindler. I was struck by the incredularity of being in Schindler's Lift.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the solution is to make the doors narrower…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was struck by the incredularity of being in Schindler's Lift.

Yep, we have one of those at my work.

Kit
    Free Member

Yep, we have one of those at my work.

And where I live!

Drac

Can't say I've ever heard that. maybe we don't have dull lives up here in the North.

skidartist
    Free Member

Can't say I've ever heard that. maybe we don't have dull lives up here in the North.

…. or lifts
    😀

julianwilson
    Free Member

no schindlers lifts round Plymouth afaik, but plenty of schindlers escalators in '50's post-blitz rebuilt retro Debenhams.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I always take the stairs anyway.

sv

Otis (and the) Elevators anybody?

Liftman

If you make a 13 person lift big enough to get 13 people in comfortably you will find that at some point 20 people will squeeze into it and then wonder why the lift makes a non stop trip to the bottom of the lift shaft.

The average weight is calculated at between 76 and 78kgs eg a 13 person lift is rated at a 1000kgs.

Most modern lifts are fitted with load sensors that wont let the lift run when its overloaded most older ones wont have these fitted.

Flaperon

Edit: Note to self. Read thread before posting.

Spaceman
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member
    I was in the National Museum in Edinburgh at the weekend and got in one of the lifts. It was made by a company called Schindler. I was struck by the incredularity of being in Schindler's Lift.

I was in one of those at the Beatson cancer research place in Glasgow the other week, I pointed it out to my colleague who just rolled his eyes, must be a STW humour thing.

Bez

Has anyone mentioned Schindler yet? No? They make lifts! Ha ha! Lifts! Sounds like list, you see. Like Schidler's list. NO-ONE CAN HAVE NOTICED THAT! Did no-one notice that? I'm incredularious!

Karinofnine

I was at Regent's Park Tube Station yesterday morning. I was waiting for the lift and looking in through the windows partly because lift workings fascinate me and partly because it makes the lift come faster (in the same way as pressing the button many times, sighing, tutting, grimacing at your fellow lift-users and pacing). Anyway, I noticed that there were two pistons pointing upwards from the bottom of the shaft. They looked like smaller versions of the buffers you get at the end of the platform at a station. I guess they are shock absorbers in case the lift cables break?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I forget which, but there is a Douglas Coupland book in which the main protagonist says that the button to close the doors is just there for anxious and impatient people and doesn't do anything.

Spaceman
    Free Member

Karinofnine – Member
    I was at Regent's Park Tube Station yesterday morning. I was waiting for the lift and looking in through the windows partly because lift workings fascinate me and partly because it makes the lift come faster (in the same way as pressing the button many times, sighing, tutting, grimacing at your fellow lift-users and pacing). Anyway, I noticed that there were two pistons pointing upwards from the bottom of the shaft. They looked like smaller versions of the buffers you get at the end of the platform at a station. I guess they are shock absorbers in case the lift cables break?

In the event of the lift plummetting uncontrolably towards the ground you just have to jump upward just before it hits the bottom, you'll be fine, everyone else in the lift will be a bloody smear on the floor tho.

Bez

you just have to jump upward just before it hits the bottom, you'll be fine

Two problems with that theory:
    1. You've no idea where the bottom is
    2. It's complete and utter bollocks

samuri
    Free Member

Now hang on Bez, I think you're dismissing this a little too quickly, we could have a plane on a conveyer belt situation here.

How fast will the lift being going when it hits the deck? Lets say, since it's falling in a reasonably air tight tunnel, it has quite a low terminal velocity, say 50mph?
    Now all you have to do, in your responsibility as a lift manufacturer, is put a little window in the lift and a red mark on the wall near the bottom so people can see when they have to jump. As long as they jump upwards at 50mph or more, they're sorted.

rhys
    Free Member
    JulianA
    Free Member

There's a brilliant sloping conveyor belt you can take your trolley on in Sainsbury's in Newbury.

The trolleys have special wheels so that they jam on the surface of the conveyor belt.

One chap was taking a whole load of trolleys all in one go!

I didn't want to go upstairs, but I went anyway so that I could try the conveyor belt out! It was ace!!

samuri
    Free Member

ASDA in Prescot has the same I think.

wwaswas

There's a brilliant sloping conveyor belt you can take your trolley on in Sainsbury's in Newbury.

Damn, I was expecting to find out whether the trolleys take off or not.

bruneep

Flaperon – Member

Edit: Note to self. Read thread before posting.

why would one want to do that?

brant
    Free Member

myheadsashed

WTF goes on in your shed ? 😳

IanMunro
    Free Member

Thanks for those brant, they're superb!
    Have you been to the website and tried the pig pooing game yet?
    http://benobve.110mb.com/

Liftman

The sloping conveyeors are called Travolators, like an escalator without the steps.

brant
    Free Member

Have you been to the website and tried the pig pooing game yet?

i have teh mac and that app dunt werk

brant
    Free Member

though actually I do run parralels and I'm that intrigued, I'm going to have a go.

JulianA
    Free Member

Liftman – Member
    The sloping conveyeors are called Travolators, like an escalator without the steps.

Thanks – I didn't know what they were called.

No trolleys took off whilst we there, although we didn't ride on the second one, although I wanted to. MrsJulianA wasn't so keen.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    JulianA
    Free Member

This would be fun to do on a Saturday night!

And only a quid (or an Euro – currently 82.5 pence) for all that fun.

Probably wouldn't go on the Travelator though, which is a bit of a drawback.

Have also seen some VERY interesting pylons today. Sorry, no pics. Can take some on Monday if there's any interest, as I hope to be going to work again then (even though I offered to punch someone for inviting me to 'Do superheroness with team amazing' – surely no jury would convict?))

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Lift Incredularity’ is closed to new replies.