Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lift assisted xc in Portes du Soleil
  • benkitcher
    Free Member

Morning all,

On a dreary Thursday morning with 10 weeks to go until a week in Morzine, I’ve decided to plan a few routes for our group to tackle.

As well as some skilled riders we have a couple of less experienced riders in the group who I want to cater for. They are attending weekly coaching sessions in Wharncliffe in preparation for the trip and have suitable bikes, but I wanted to plan some longer lift-assisted xc rides for us all to enjoy together. My experience extends to the bike parks of Morzine, Les Gets and Chatel only. The sort of required skill level I’m aiming for is UK trail centre style black runs – they can be a bit feisty, but not Champery steep if we can avoid it!

Does anyone have recommendations for routes, guide books, gpx files etc? I realise we can get some guiding out there too, but the planning is part of the fun for me!

Thanks,

Ben

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

follow the PDS signposted trail? It’s a monster to tackle in one day but you could bite off chunks of it over a few days.

EDIT: quick Google search and see below. not sure if this is the actual signposted trail as there was plenty of ‘up’ and not just ‘down’ last time I attempted it

http://en.portesdusoleil.com/portes-du-soleil-mtb-tour.html

nickjb
    Free Member

PdS route is nice and scenic. Nothing too tech. As above maybe miss a bit, it’s pretty easy. The two long black routes on the piste map either side of les gets are good. Both have a little climbing but nothing to crazy up or down. Quite a few of the linking trails between resorts are fun. The descent back to Morzine from the top of Mossettes via linderettes in good fun and a lot of down. There’s a whole load of cheeky too.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

this is the one I had in mind

vinnyeh

I have an English copy of this.

Some good stuff in there.

antares
    Free Member

There’s a nice looking route in issue 91 of the stw mag. I’m thinking of giving it a go when I go to Morzine at the end of June

benkitcher
    Free Member

Great stuff, thanks chaps. I wasn’t sure if the passportes route could be broken up into smaller bits, but this gives me the confidence to get planning just that.

Vinnyeh – I’ve just looked up the English version of that book – £43 on Amazon! I hope you’ve got it locked away safely (i.e. not in Camden…).

stevemtb
    Free Member

Get yourself a guide and prepare to be amazed. There’s a cut off at the top of the Chatel bike park or maybe the other side of the valley that opens up into a part of the valley you never see unless someone shows you the entrance with some epic singletrack.

First time out I loved the bike parks and stuff around the PdS route but the guided routes the next time were much, much better. Only planning to spend time in the bike parks this time as we’ll have DH bikes with us, with trail bikes the off piste trails seemed a lot better (and had no braking bumps!).

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ben if you send me an email I’ll forward some routes. If you go onto geoportal.gouv.fr you can switch on IGN maps and have a good look round, the purple paths/tracks generally make decent trails and give you a sense on how you can link things up. I wish I hadn’t binnned my Topo book 🙁

benkitcher
    Free Member

Cheers Jambalaya, email on its way!

benkitcher
    Free Member

Steve – we’re 8 riders all on trail bikes. Lack of braking bumps sounds ideal for my baby-soft hands!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Received emails – will reply tonight as map files at home

danradyr1
    Free Member

We are also looking to do similar kind of riding and I think the ride in issue 91 is on the cards, but need a couple more. OK to also email you Jambalaya? Cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lift assisted xc in Portes du Soleil’ is closed to new replies.