• This topic has 25 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ton.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Lift assisted enduro tracks in the UK?
  • mnbv
    Free Member

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any lift assisted (ideally chairlift not a man in a van) enduro tracks in the uk?

I’m basically looking for downhilling without the jumps.

Thanks,

mnbv

legend
    Free Member

Why not just pedal up like in an enduro?

Only real lift assisted trail in the UK is ft.bill, and I personally wouldn’t bother going for anything other than the DH track.

Simon

Innerleithen? Uplift but not a chairlift. Plenty of trails to go at.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Fort Bill red and Glencoe red are about your only options. But not until May now!

jimi
    Free Member

Perhaps Bike Park Wales is the sort of thing you are after. Its trail centre riding blue to black grade with an uplift. Although it is a trailer uplift.

Uplift is normally booked well in advance.

Is there any reason you prefer a ski style uplift over minibus and trailer?

legend
    Free Member

Simon – Member
    Innerleithen? Uplift but not a chairlift. Plenty of trails to go at.

POSTED 52 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

Kinda “man in van” though which would scratch the OP’s bike 😉

ton

can I ask, why, when people post something like this, does some smart arse always say, ‘why not just ride up’.
    it is so so annoying.
    HE ASKED ABOUT A UPLIFT, HE DOES NOT WANT TO RIDE UP, THE CLUE IS IN THE TITLE. FFS………. 🙄

passtherizla
    Free Member

I don’t think there is anything that matches the OP’s description… Fort William and Glencoe as mentioned earlier, but they both have 1 DH track and 1 red track.

legend
    Free Member

ton – Member
    can I ask, why, when people post something like this, does some smart arse always say, ‘why not just ride up’.
    it is so so annoying.
    HE ASKED ABOUT A UPLIFT, HE DOES NOT WANT TO RIDE UP, THE CLUE IS IN THE TITLE. FFS……….

Because he’s riding a trail bike (I assume) and wanting to do trails that can’t be accessed in this country by the method specified, that’s why

Northwind

“downhill without the jumps” is a wee bit of an odd comment, what you get if you take the jumps away from downhill, is downhill. But then there’s no red line between downhill and just riding your bike. TBH most UK downhill could be used for enduro racing, many already have.

Antur Stiniog is extremely trailbikable, but also very trailcentrey, super-manmade so doesn’t tick my enduro boxes. Very good, though. Fort William red as mentioned is ideal, the world cup route is a bit harder but still goes on a trailbike as long as you’re a reasonable bike handler- there’s some big jumps at the bottom but they’re pretty ignorable. (if I can do it, then it can’t be that hard) And BPW of course, custom built for what you want.

Glencoe, the red last time I rode it was underwhelming, the dh is pretty bloomin alarming and I’m told now in a bad state of repair, and the uplift is poor- bad bike mounts, bellend staff. Certainly wouldn’t go back there for a trailbikey day.

Innerleithen’s the obvious one though- the purpose-built enduro trails mostly start from the top of the downhill, most of the downhill trails fit the bill perfectly. Only downside is that the uplift doesn’t go all the way to the top and isn’t the fastest or the most frequent, but then if you can ride to the top 8 times in a day more power to you. Oh, and if you do the further out or slower trails it’s a race to get back before the bus leaves.

ton

legend, where does he say he is riding a trail bike?
    you were being a smartarse…..why not just be helpful?

soobalias
    Free Member

so is an enduro track the same as a DH track then?

Northwind

soobalias – Member

so is an enduro track the same as a DH track then?

IMO, yes, basically. Enduro races sometimes use dh tracks- innerleithen especially but also Ae that I know of, and no doubt others. If you took most UK downhill tracks and dropped them into, say, Les Arcs then british holidaymakers would happily ride them on their normal bikes but there’s a psychological barrier in the UK.

slowrider
    Free Member

Pretty much every dh place in the uk will have trails where the jumps are optional. I’m pretty sure Enduro can involve a teeny bit of jumping too though!

As said before, the lift bit you might struggle with. A lot of the uplifts aren’t too hard on bikes though, the trailers they use spread the bikes out nicely and hold them securely.

You should go to Chamonix in the summer; ski type uplifts all over the valley which take you to endless natural trails that all point down.

legend
    Free Member

ton – Member
    legend, where does he say he is riding a trail bike?
    you were being a smartarse…..why not just be helpful?

If he’s riding a DH bike he’s going to be even more disappointed, if he’s riding something smaller than a trail bike he’s got even less of a problem cycling. If he’s just lazy, I have zero sympathy.

And you’ll notice the second part of my post pointed out that what he wants doesn’t exist in this country if he needs a chairlift – question answered

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Would you like a suitable grading system to go with your ENDURO trails?

tpbiker
    Free Member

If he’s just lazy, I have zero sympathy

I’m pretty fit, I reckon I could pedal up to the top of most hills no worries. But sometimes I really can’t be assed pedaling, and sometimes I’d just like to get in as many runs going downward without knackering myself inbetween.

Isn’t it all about having fun, which I assume was the point of the OPs post…

+1 inners. If I can mince down 90% of it so can most.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Just take your enduro bike on a regular DH trailer based uplift, it happens all the time, most UK DH trails are nothing to worry about and have alternative lines around big features, just don’t go straight for the black runs.
    As already mentioned Antur Stinkycog is very popular with the trailbike/enduro crowd – I could happily session the red and blue routes all day, FOD is worth a consideration too – loads of DH trails, none of them committing or particularity hard, both have great uplifts and facilities too.

You’ll have a great time and you wont die!

Plus there are the actual Mini-Enduro trails at the FOD, which I’m sure you’d be able to find on Strava.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No.

Either truck/van/other uplift for DH tracks or go to France

Northwind

Oh yeah- I’m pretty much ignoring the chairlift thing, as a good vehicle uplift can be excellent. Antur led the way on this one IMO, fast, efficient, little risk of bike damage… I’d sooner use their buses than Glencoe’s chairlift. (sooner use Nevis gondolas mind!)

Oh, I gather Tally’s buying a landrover to run smaller, trailered uplifts at innerleithen- not sure if he’ll run that alongside the bus/truck of doom, or if it’s just for quieter days, fridays etc. Elliot takes good care of the bikes but it’s still slow, and there’s always a small risk of scratches etc. (you’re kind of in the hands of the guy whose bike is on top of you too)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best uplift I have done UK was Pearce with the landies and new trailers, fairly hard to scratch a bike on that one and fast.

rockfield
    Free Member

triscombe uplifts in the quantocks? you can get the uplift then ride the coombes back down if you dont fancy the dh trails? they also do an epic uplift day on Exmoor if you can get a few people together which is just brilliant fun. it is a van & trailer setup though.

v666ern
    Free Member

I’m claiming troll

mnbv
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, sounds like ben nevis red is due a visit then…

Why not just pedal up like in an enduro?

If he’s just lazy, I have zero sympathy.

I’m claiming troll

There are some prize charmers on this site

grum
    Free Member

The red DH at Fort William is great fun. Don’t be scared of trying the WC DH track too. I really enjoyed it at nowhere near proper DH pace.

And agreed – some proper bellends on here.

ton

I am gonna be up for a lift assisted road trip sometime in the new year.

nevis, inners and a private uplift at ae. will take some organising, but is doable.
    gonna have myself a nice new bike for it too……….. 8)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Lift assisted enduro tracks in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.