Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lifetime ISA, anyone bothered opening one yet ?
  • simmy
    Free Member

I have but only because you have to open it before you are 40 and I’ve only 5 days before that happens……

Due to the limited providers, I’ve stuck £100 in a Nutmeg account just to get it open before I turn 40 with the intention of moving it to a Cash ISA when they come available.

At the moment I’m not looking to max it out at £4000 per year as I’m keeping it in case I live long enough to be 60 then withdraw so I’ve never been involved with stocks and shares before so I’ve no idea if it’s easy or scary.

Like I said, I put £100 just to open it but would it be worth keeping the Nutmeg one instead of moving to a cash ISA when they come available ? Think it’s June when Skipton Building society offer theirs.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just looking into for the wife as she is in a similar position, albeit with a few months to sort it out. Definitely looking at stocks and shares rather than cash. If you really want a cash pot then the bonus will make it better than sticking it in the bank but as it’ll be in there a while you might as well go for S&S as they will do well over the long term. No need to be scared of them. Do your research, be aware there are risks but a decent fund or tracker over that time will do well. My only question is whether this counts as your one S&S ISA you are allowed to pay into per year or if this is on top of that. I wouldn’t like to be 100% tied to it but good as part of a portfolio I think

scotroutes

I’m age-barred 😡

hjghg5
    Free Member

I will be doing before the end of this tax year for similar reasons, but I do at least have the full year to sort it out. It’s likely to be S&S and I want to wait until there’s a bit more on offer before doing something. At the moment I split my investments between a S&S ISA and a SIPP which will still get most of my money but I’d like to have this running alongside those if possible just in case at some point after I turn 40 using the LISA becomes more appealing.

ourmaninthenorth

Also too old. Just.

jolmes
    Free Member

Will be transferring my HTB into a LISA shortly. More so that I’m not limited on what I can save, £4000 per year (LISA) vs £2400 (HTB) with no caps on monthly amounts etc. It appears only HL have them, not confident playing stocks and shares yet so will just be having it as cash.

pk13

Their is lots of talk about this product and how come no banks are behind them as they think they are too complex for the average jo.
    In principle my wife wants one as she is 39 but government meddling for the next 20 years is making me twitchy The product looks ok and for a first time home owner outside of the home county’s it should be a good deal. 400k max limit will put some off and will stop rich people using it as tax vehicle for their own saving.

GrahamS

Too old and the kids are too young (shame as it would be nice alternative to Junior ISAs).

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Will be transferring my HTB into a LISA shortly. More so that I’m not limited on what I can save, £4000 per year (LISA) vs £2400 (HTB) with no caps on monthly amounts etc. It appears only HL have them, not confident playing stocks and shares yet so will just be having it as cash.

I’m also thinking of doing this, but it’s worth bearing in mind that you have to wait 12 months to buy, so if you wait until a cash one is available you wont be able to buy before roughly summer 2018. I’m looking to buy earlier so will open a LISA with a quid on the off chance everything gets delayed enough that I can use it. Also living in Bristol it’s possible that the 250 grand limit won’t be enough for where we want to live, so we may end up waiting just to access the higher limit of the LISA (450k).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you already have a Help To Buy ISA and are not due to turn 40 before July(ish), I would be inclined to keep depositing in your HTB for now and then transfer to a cash LISA when they become available in a few months (which if I understand correctly, means you can still deposit £4k into the LISA before April 2018).

If you seriously think you will buy your first house before April 2018, stick with a HTB ISA, which can be accessed with the 25% after ~3 months (LISA must be open at least 12 months to get bonus).

I’m another rather gutted 40+er who would have liked to have had LISA an an option. 🙁

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lifetime ISA, anyone bothered opening one yet ?’ is closed to new replies.