• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • "Lifesaving helmet stickers"
  • wwaswas

https://news.eastsussex.gov.uk/2015/04/27/life-saving-helmet-stickers-to-be-rolled-out-across-sussex/

It’s the 853 badge thing all over again, isn’t it?

“That sticker saved my life!”

(link via various people on twitter)

faustus

That’s kind of shutting the door after the horse has bolted though isn’t it? How about a sticker saying ‘please don’t run me over’..?

retro83
    Free Member

It’s weird that these have suddenly become popular. Icepatch.eu have been offering them for ages, but have just gone bust, i presume through lack of sales. 🙁

core

Seems to be a massive flaw in the system to me – how can they prove it’s your helmet you’re wearing and haven’t borrowed one etc?

Same reason having your name and blood group on the wing of your rally car is totally disregarded, unless you have ID on your person you just can’t be treated on the basis of a sticker.

geoffj

Seems to be a massive flaw in the system to me – how can they prove it’s your helmet you’re wearing and haven’t borrowed one etc?

What are the chances of riding alone with a borrowed helmet that has someone else’s sticker on it?

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve got an IceDot on my trail lid. I often ride in relatively technical trails alone, and I’d prefer for someone to be able to ID me if I’m unconscious.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Seems like a reasonable precaution to take and how often do your borrow your mates helmet?

I have never done this on a Motorbike or on a MTB

DezB
    Free Member

Great… the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership want to recognise you when their programme fails.
    I did my “What’s Driving Us” course with Sussex Safer Roads and judging by that courses content they are idiots.

andyl
    Free Member

Does anyone have any details on whether the QR codes are widely accepted and used by emergency services? I find it all very well saying that “emergency services can use their smart phones to scan the QR and access our database” but whenever I’ve seen police they have basic phones that actually work for making calls and last more than half a day. Needing data signal to get the info is also a problem and having to have a QR reader.

I would rather some form of personal ID that a human can read anywhere and in any conditions.

Paceman
    Free Member

There was a product similar to this on the Singletrack Fresh Goods page last week, worth a punt I thought at £4.95…

http://www.taggisar.co.uk/

whitestone
    Free Member

The emergency services ask you for this info if you are conscious or check for ID and medicard or similar if you aren’t.

Any system will “fail” if the individual and ID become separated.

Drac

or check for ID and medicard or similar if you aren’t.

Do we?

gonzy
    Free Member

i have one of these located under my helmet visor

whitestone
    Free Member

@drac Perhaps I should have said “should” as in “I’d expect them to”

aracer
    Free Member

Pah, forehead tattoo FTW

D0NK

What are the chances of riding alone with a borrowed helmet that has someone else’s sticker on it?

Limited but what are the chances of emergency services trusting a sticker and basing your treatment on it?*

One of those bracelet/dogtag things seems more sensible for people who have important medical info to share. A sticker (and QR doohickery) seems a bit, dunno, but not the right tool for the job.

*I’ve no idea if there are allergies or conditions that paramedics would adjust treatment for, just guessing.

christhetall
    Free Member

Sounds like a great idea to me. Doesn’t matter who’s to blame – and often it will be the wearer – you want to be identied, for the benefit of your loved ones as well as yourself.

And I’ve never lent anyone my helmet, nor borrowed anyone elses.

jonba
    Free Member

Name address and emergency contact is useful – but you can do that with a pieced of paper and some sticky back plastic.

There are more official existing dodads for serious medical conditions are there not. In first aid we are always told to check for them as diabetics etc. wear them.

Drac

@drac Perhaps I should have said “should” as in “I’d expect them to”

We will do it if time allows due the patient’s condition but not really routinely done as an unconscious often has more priorities than who they are.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘"Lifesaving helmet stickers"’ is closed to new replies.