Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LIFESAVER® bottle
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Whilst looking into the logistics for my backpacking adventures I started to research water purification options and came across the Lifesaver.

Does anyone use one of these on there trips?

If not, please do let me know what it is that you use.

willard

I know that they are used on a section level in AFG and have a pretty good rep there. If I had a need for one, I’d seriously consider getting one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not needed (in scotland anyway).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sunlight, the UV in sunlight purifies water so as long as it’s running water and you’re not drinking directly downstream from a dead sheep or someone crimping one off it’ll probably be fine. I’ve used purification tablets from boots before but couldn’t stand the taste (tasted like tapwater).

footflaps

When I was doing SMLTB, about 20 years ago, the only contaminated lake was in the Snowdonia Park somewhere (can’t remember)…..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

by definition you won’t get any comments from users where it didn’t work as they would be dead…

frogstomp

With regard to the Lifesaver bottle.. we used one for a trekking trip to Nepal a couple of years ago and had no problems with bugs etc. It also tastes a lot nicer than chlorinated water!

The only downside for us was that it took quite a while to filter enough water to fill 2 Camelbaks each morning..

teacake
    Free Member

We bought a Platypus Gravity filter for a cycle trip in China: http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/gravityworks-filter/product

Love it – light, simple, fast and small. Super robust as well. Collect water at or just before camp spot. Hang from tree whilst you pitch tent. 4litres of fresh water ready for you. It even survived the Yangtze fine silt!

If you want to go super light tablets are the way to go.

Depends where you’re going to use it. A filter will never remove viruses so if you’re near settlements it’s safer to filter then pop a tablet in as well. If you’re in Scotland or Patagonia then you can drink straight (after the above mentioned sheep check!)

Have fun!

frogstomp

From the LifeSaver website:

“Under the conditions of testing in our laboratory as shown in this report, our results show that the ‘LIFESAVER bottle’ removed all bacteria and viruses from a contaminated water source in excess of legal requirements and as such, complies with all British, US and European Drinking Water Regulations for Microbiological Reduction.”

London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.

jonba
    Free Member

It’s massive! I’ve sure there used to be smaller version on the market. years ago I remember seeing them the size of bike bottle (750ml that held about 600)

Anyway, my 2p. High mountain streams are fine to drink from. I remember hearing that 100m downstream is fine if the water is very aerated and exposed to sunlight (after you, I insist 😉 )

As well as bacteria and viruses you should be wary of chemical contamination. Heavy metals, pesticides and other such things – these aren’t removed by tablets. I think carbon filters are best for these – cheap and normally in any purification system.

I’ve never had a problem in Scotland/Lakes/Wales drinking from mountain streams with the obvious precautions but no tablets or filters.

I’ve been quite horribly ill on several occasions from kayaking trips on lower sections of the same mountain streams.

jonba
    Free Member

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘LIFESAVER® bottle’ is closed to new replies.