Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Life tips please..
  • 0091paddy
    Free Member

Afternoon all.

I finished college in June, and managed to get some pretty decent grades as a result of some hard work (albeit rather rushed at the end) I haven't YET applied for university as the press about debts and other issues really has put me off for the time being.

My course was in Countryside Management, at an agricultural college. I've always had an interest and wanted to get involved with the climate change/sustainability/renewable energy type area, of which we had a few modules covering this area, but now I've finished, I'm at home during the week, with a crummy part time job of just 9 hours (yes I'm grateful of actually having a job in these times) I've looked, checked, applied, emailed and sent CV's to all sorts of places, but I've not heard anything back. (again, understandable in this climate I guess)

I visited the Job Centre last month, and was told I would be eligible for jobseekers allowance and support to find me work, so after going there every friday since, it actually turns out I'm not entitled to anything, due to the fact I earn outside the boundaries for eligibility (£3 over/month I think).

This is not a moan people, just would like some opinions or advice on what YOU would do next, I know many people are in far worse situations than me, so don't think I'm taking the mick.

Thanks all.

Ciao

clubber
    Free Member

I guess it depends a lot on your circumstances. If you're still living with your parents and they don't mind supporting you then I'd suggest that if paid work in the area you're interested in is hard to find, find some unpaid work in the area. Once you've got your foot in the door, it's always a lot easier to get a paid job. Similarly trying to get some temp work in a company that does something you're interested in is also a good start (make friends with the people running the temp agencies as they'll offer you much better stuff IME), even if it's just admin stuff – again, a foot in the door is a good start and you can then ask for advice from the people you're working with.

As to university, it really depends. If the 'industry' you're looking at requires degrees then yes, it's a no-brainer regardless of the debt that it'll entail in the shorter term. If having no degree might mean that you find it a bit harder at the start but then it'll make little difference, it's a tough call.

footflaps

Life is competitive in terms of jobs, especially now. If you want a job, you have to demonstrate that you stand above the rest in some way. Everyone fires off CVs and sits back waiting…….

So, ask yourself: 'How to make myself stand out?'

Eg offer to do voluntary work for a local organisation, eg Forestry Commission, just to get noticed / get a foot in the door, etc.

What you get out of life is pretty much in proportion to what you put into it!

Ben

Jerome
    Free Member

Try and get some paid/un-paid work expereince somewhere ?
    University potentially but missing a year will not matter.

If you are considering travelling than NZ would be a great place to see as the countryside is amazing. I met a british guy there years ago that was doing unpiad work in countryside type jobs.

Maybe resign yourself to a year saving up and then go travelling.
    J.

Smee
    Free Member

The classic way into countryside management and conservation is through volunteering for a prolonged period of time. Even then you will be competing against folk with degrees, masters and phds. The pay is shit, but the offices are some of the best in the world. It's a great job if you are prepared to put the work in to get your foot in the door.

jimmy

I'd second voluntary work but make sure its in line with what you want to do long term. BTCV could be a good start, national trust etc. Get involved, get to know people ('networking' as it might be called…) and be enthusiastic to anything that comes your way.

I'm about to hand in my MSc dissertation on Friday in Environmental Sustainability (climate change/sustainability/renewable energy). Did it as a mature student but I have no such experience on my CV which I might have to do now when I could / should be earning.

Good luck.

thomthumb
    Free Member

try and get some experience. Getting an interveiw is usually on your CV but getting a job is on what you say in the interveiw, comes back to experience.

As said above if your not sure about uni take a year or two out, can always come back to it, and try and work in the area your interested in, even if it volunteerin for odd days etc. if/ when you decide you want to do the uni course you will have a much better idea of the options avaiable – through what others you meet will have done.

most companies will take work experience/ shadowing for a few days/ week even if it's not through school etc. just try and get out there.

there should be some local career guidance services available to you. either through college or connexions

good luck 😀

0091paddy
    Free Member

Thanks for the input people. I have previously worked with two individuals who work in countryside management sector, one guy does large scale forestry contracts, so planting/spraying/pruning/mowing throughout the UK, and he has put work my way before, but this was local work at the time, and some of these contracts can be near enough anywhere in the UK.

The second guy I did some work with manages a large estate in Staffordshire, and he does all forms of maintenance to do with running the estate. Due to my previous college commitments I no longer work with him, and he's taken on someone else on a part time basis.

I had an interview a few months ago with the forestry commission, for a voluntary role working along side the head forester, unfortunately I didn't get the position.

Those two previous roles, confirmed that I would rather get involved with the sectors I mentioned rather that conservation type work, as well as following my own personal interests.

Ciao

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You got good grades, you're bright, you know what you want, so go to university and do the most relevant degree to what you want to do.

If you don't have at least a first degree, it can be like a glass ceiling over your head. if you're uber good, you'll break through it, but many don't.

BTW, pay attention at Uni – your paying for it.

Good luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Life tips please..’ is closed to new replies.