Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 537 total)
  • Life is hard living on £120k a year.
  • konabunny
    Free Member

And we’re almost at communism.

How did you get to communism with that?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s just how do you define ‘hard’?

Exactly.

dragon
    Free Member

IME the hardest jobs I have ever done paid the least

Really? Most low paid jobs I’ve done were a doddle. Take basic shop work in Tesco’s or where ever, not hard.

When you look at pay, market conditions and responsibility have a big factor.

grum
    Free Member

Really? Most low paid jobs I’ve done were a doddle.

Hardest job I’ve ever had was either working in McDonalds as a teenager or working in a CD packing warehouse.

molgrips
    Free Member

Take basic shop work in Tesco’s or where ever, not hard.

I worked at a supermarket when I was younger. It was incredibly hard. Not physically, but mentally. I suppose we’re all different.

grum
    Free Member

ransos
    Free Member

Really? Most low paid jobs I’ve done were a doddle. Take basic shop work in Tesco’s or where ever, not hard.

Really? My experience is the exact opposite.

mashiehood
    Free Member

depends on what defines ‘hard’ – during my time at Uni, I worked in a sheet metal factory, I couldn’t lift the sheets or get my arms around them but the pay was great and I stuck at it. That was physically hard.

Today, my job is mentally challenging, at the start the challenge was big but over the years, development and learning together with a great employer has meant my job, whilst challenging is also very satisfying.

ransos
    Free Member

Today, my job is mentally challenging, at the start the challenge was big but over the years, development and learning together with a great employer has meant my job, whilst challenging is also very satisfying.

I found the mind-numbing tedium of low-paid work to be mentally-challenging. What I do now is mentally-stimulating.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So the idealistic view is that we tell people how much they can earn and make an assessment of their level of happieness and then restrict them from doing anything which doesn’t fall in line with this idealistic view point

Yup. We actually live in a society where we rely on each other…we don’t live in a truly free market society, if we did people like me would be able to kill the rich in their sleep and seize their wealth.

We live in a society with lots and lots of restrictions placed upon we do or what we can own, I don’t see why there has to be an arbitary line over wealth either.

At the end of the day economic policy should come down to identifying evidence based policy that best serves the economic interests of the majority of the country, eg growth and job creation. If that means redistributing wealth through higher taxes then so be it. This isn’t communism, it’s cold hard utilitarianism.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t pay any of my money in tax. The bit deducted from my nominal salary isn’t mine to begin with.

mefty
    Free Member

They’re also healthy, prosperous and well-educated. It’ll never catch on..

I don’t know we are led by a centre right coalition just like Norway, Finland and Sweden.

MSP

Their centre is further to the left than ours.

mefty
    Free Member

Really, you should look up the Swedish Finance Minister

Borg has been recognised as the mastermind behind the new Swedish government’s economic doctrine, focusing on proactive measures against unemployment. An incremental dismantling of the social democratic welfare state, with larger self-financing of welfare systems, lower taxes and fewer benefits are seen as the way to create new motivation to work and more business opportunities and creation of jobs. He developed these new policies in his role as chief economist in the Moderate Party.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

focusing on proactive measures against unemployment.

You should read the whole article. According to the same source as you mefty : “who has served as Minister for Finance in the Swedish Government since 2006.”

So look at what’s been happening to unemployment in Sweden since 2006 :

BTW, guess what year the “Moderate” Party came to power ? Yep, you’ve got it…….1991

Thatcher and the Tories made a great song and dance about the 1.5 million unemployed in 1979 with the most famous general election slogan in British politics : “Labour isn’t working”. So tackling unemployment could rightly be seen as their priority. Within 2 or 3 years they had more than doubled unemployment.

ransos
    Free Member

Really, you should look up the Swedish Finance Minister

Yes really. Any cursory examination of their welfare and employment law would tell you that.

mefty
    Free Member

EL – I was just using it to illustrate that Scandinavia has moved on from the Social Democratic dominated politics of the past – I think a debate over the relative merits of the economic policies in Sweden would lead to so much wiki trawling that it might break the internet and is, as a result, not a tangent to be pursued.

Lifer
    Free Member

Brilliant, wikiflounce.

footflaps

I admire the lack of gross excess in salaries in Norway eg:

In a nondescript building down a side street in Oslo, Yngve Slyngstad is in charge of the world’s biggest investment fund, Norway’s £500bn government pension fund. His salary? After the fund’s second best year ever for returns, he picked up £595,000 – and no bonus. Over in the City of London, in a rather grander marble and glass building, sits a fund manager unmasked yesterday as Prudential’s highest-paid employee: Richard Woolnough, manager of the bond funds run by the Pru’s subsidiary, M&G. He presides over funds worth around £30bn, or around one-17th of Slyngstad’s pot, but earned 30 times more – an extraordinary £17.4m.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/apr/03/fund-managers-limit-excessess-pay-bonuses

molgrips
    Free Member

Yngve Slyngstad is in charge of the world’s biggest investment fund, Norway’s £500bn government pension fund

He’s a civil servant though no? So hardly a fair comparison.

footflaps

He’s a civil servant though no? So hardly a fair comparison.

Why not? It shows that you can manage a huge fund successfully paying a modest salary. The City will tell you that that is impossible and you have to pay an obscene amount otherwise the fund will collapse or go into a ‘death spiral’ etc etc.

mefty
    Free Member

When you are independent you have to raise the fund, as a civil servant you don’t, star managers attract funds therefore get paid more, like footballers who bring in more success. As with footballers, not all succeed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we all understand the reasons they give to “justofy” the salaries what we are saying is it is BS

mudshark
    Free Member

Do you think they wouldn’t lose him if they paid him less? Or if they did it wouldn’t matter as someone could do as well for a lot less?

dazh

Getting back to the schools thing, I’ve been having a separate argument with someone on facebook about home education. It seems there’s a growing body (although thankfully still small) of people out there who think school of any type is evil and that kids shouldn’t be taught anything at all 😕

http://sandradodd.com/unschooling

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/200909/why-don-t-students-school-well-duhhhh

footflaps

Or if they did it wouldn’t matter as someone could do as well for a lot less?

Of course. Salary has very little to do with motivation or ability…

El-bent
    Free Member

Lesser of two evils. A nation full of jobs and investment but no corporation tax, or a nation without both.

La la land. There was talk of this in the USA during the bush administration, didn’t get anywhere, and as stated elsewhere on this thread, the bastion of capitalism’s corp tax rate 35%.

As for investment, how the hell do you think stuff like infrastructure, vital for commerce, gets built and maintained? Largely through taxation. If there was no corp tax, the burden would shift elswhere, resulting in higher personal taxation or stuff like infrastructure(I include the NHS and Education as infrastructure) gets cut.

Of course some stuff gets built through private investment. Like nuclear power stations. Via French state owned company money. And Chinese government money. And the end user getting stiffed through high prices when it comes online at some point in the future. Like I said, some stuff gets built.

Our corporation tax is getting obscenely low.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think we all understand the reasons they give to “justofy” the salaries what we are saying is it is BS

They don’t need to justify it. They make money, they can do what they want with it. The fact is that there is competition for jobs, same as there is for footballers. So to make people want to work for you you have to offer big salaries or other perks. I bet that civil service guy has other perks which mean more to him than millions in bonuses.

So the only way around this is to impose either a salary cap or tax most of it away above a certain threshold. Which is where we were a page or two back.

Fundamentally, it’s about ideology. If enough people think ‘£xxxx is enough, I don’t need any more’ then society changes. But that’s a pretty big ask of most people. It’s a shame, but human nature is hard to change.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Who would live in all the big houses if your salary cap came into force?

Would we all have to drive Toyota Piouses too?

imagine?? 😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    It’s pure luck that I was born with an aptitude that pays well.

So that puts a hole in the idea that meritocracy is some kind of panacea. Since skills or otherwise are distributed randomly at birth. Well put mol.

The most striking thing in the Swedish graph is surely the impact of the banking crisis?

molgrips
    Free Member

Who would live in all the big houses if your salary cap came into force?

Just to make it clear – I am not advocating a salary cap.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I don’t pay any of my money in tax. The bit deducted from my nominal salary isn’t mine to begin with.

Bit of an odd statement….if you didn’t go to work, you wouldn’t get a salary. just because its taken at source, doesn’t mean you haven’t earned it.

molgrips
    Free Member

just because its taken at source, doesn’t mean you haven’t earned it.

It’s just a number on a piece of paper. I never see it, so why even look. If someone offers me a job earning £50kpa, I don’t start budgeting to spend £4166/mo and then get all surprised when some money’s missing.

So I haven’t earned it, no. I’ve earned my takehome, that’s all that matters.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perhaps you should. It’s important what happens to the money your EARN. Think of it another way, what date in the year do you effectively start working for yourself rather than indirectly for the state?

molgrips
    Free Member

Why?

What difference does it make?

And the word ‘earn’ is a bit vague, isn’t it?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If you need to ask mol, perhaps you can also send me part of your pay. I promise to spend it wisely.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you saying I’m not paying attention to the political process?

Kryton57

teamhurtmore – Member
    Perhaps you should. It’s important what happens to the money your EARN.

And more to the point, how its calculated – there are loads and loads of ways of not paying tax depending on your circumstances that IR won’t automatically inform you about, so you could be throwing good money away.

To give you an example, I found out just last wee that I don’t have to be paying tax on yet another £4k of what I earn, which basically has given me a few 10’s of pounds extra each month. Why would you forgo the opportunity ‘cuase you can’t be arsed to take not of the tax you are currently paying?

pedroball
    Free Member

This really gets my goat – he’s a compliance officer at a bank and his finances are stuffed! He talks about “disposable income” but doesn’t take into account the massive debt he needs to pay off at some point, so his true disposable income was a lot less and the reality is he can’t afford that house, mortgage and school fees, let a lone the bloody city breaks….

footflaps

To give you an example, I found out just last wee that I don’t have to be paying tax on yet another £4k of what I earn, which basically has given me a few 10’s of pounds extra each month. Why would you forgo the opportunity ‘cuase you can’t be arsed to take not of the tax you are currently paying?

I honestly don’t care that much about money to be bothered. I spend less than I earn so I’m quite content. Not checked my tax code / tax for years…

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 537 total)

The topic ‘Life is hard living on £120k a year.’ is closed to new replies.