Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • life insurance – where to start?
  • Pook

now we’ve got mini pook I feel I need some life insurance for them should I get hit by a meteor.

I’ve no idea where to start, what I should be looking for or how it all works.

Any advice?

weeksy

Go compare. Put in as much as you can afford without it being an issue.

Me and the wife are worth £300k dead, i think it’s about £35 a month for the policy.

She gets another £150k through my work policy if i go.

globalti
    Free Member

No miserable arese-covering insurer will give me cover; they are all frightened because I go to Africa on business. Muppets.

gusamc
    Free Member

check your/wifes work contracts, some have death in service payments

work out what you want to provide and then get cover for only the required amount

*edit do any of the new bank etc accounts carry freebies etc etc

knightrider
    Free Member

Have a look at money saving expert.com, loads of good advice there

footflaps

Does your employer offer anything? We all get 4x base salary through our company health insurance policy.

the-muffin-man

We’ve been advised in the past to insure yourself for 10x your annual salary, that way your spouse should be able to survive comfortably for a fair few years.

We also have a joint life policy for the sole purpose of paying off the mortgage.

And make a will – especially if you have children.

We’ve always had very good service from the NFU Mutual.

trail_rat
    Free Member

same here globalti … we have a hefty death in service policy for that reason but i think – might be wrong(will be making enquirys when i get back) but if im splattered by a car riding i dont think im covered.

Wonder if i can get a policy to cover me when im not at work …..

br
    Free Member

Death policies are dirt-cheap, just get £250k done, NOW.

And I’m guessing you’ve not a will either? If not, also get one done ASAP.

br
    Free Member

same here globalti … we have a hefty death in service policy for that reason but i think – might be wrong(will be making enquirys when i get back) but if im splattered by a car riding i dont think im covered.

Most DIS policies cover whether you are at work or not, and irrelevent of the reason for death – except suicide, possibly but depends on your state-of-mind and the reasons if I remember.

jonners
    Free Member

term life only and shop around. Anything else is opaque, overpriced and basically evil. Figure out what you can afford and how long your wife would need to get back on her feet and then x that many years salary after tax etc.

Agree, many work contracts have group policy.

And make a will, yourself is fine based onguidance from the internet. Unless it’s likely to be contested then get a lawyer to do it properly.

properbikeco
    Free Member

I did mine through hargreaves lansdown I think (look on money saving expert for a market wide quote)

I went for either 250k or 500k (cant remember how much) life cover for 25 years, only costs £9 a month

anagallis_arvensis

We have a policy that covers whatever is left in the mortgage if i croak. That combined with a death i. Service payment will cover the basics imo.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘life insurance – where to start?’ is closed to new replies.