Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Life insurance – is mountain biking an extreme sport?
  • paulwf

We are moving so need to change life insurance.

Is mountain biking an extreme sport?

10 years ago the IFA told us it wasn’t (though he didn’t put anything in writing).

I generally ride at trail centres or on local trails. Once a year go to BPW but only ride reds and blue. When I went to the Alps I had the expensive Holiday Insurance as anything with an uplift counted as an extreme sport

matt_outandabout

Our life insurance was through British Mountaineering Council folk in Manchester.
    Edit – these folk – http://www.summit-fs.co.uk
    No more cost, and they do definitely cover me and Mrs when biking, canoeing, climbing etc…

P-Jay
    Free Member

There’s no hard and fast rules as to what’s extreme and what isn’t so I’d check with them.

I don’t suspect it would give you too much trouble for life insurance, deaths are thankfully very rare and usually caused by an underlying health condition and pros certainly out weight the cons.

dufusdip
    Free Member

No i work in life insurance and it wouldn’t be considered to be extreme unless you’re doing Rampage.

Some companies will ask explicitly about mountain biking vat usually for income protection or fracture cover products.

Remember our the question is not clear and you are answering reasonably it will be looked upon in your favour. General insurance sculduggery is not allowed.

scotroutes

It’s not a sport unless you are competing, in which case you should seek appropriate insurance (if not mandated as part of the event anyway).

spooky_b329

Should be in the T&C’s? We asked about amateur horse eventing and apparently that is not extreme…despite being considerably higher risk than throwing yourself down a mountain.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

No

paulwf

I am not competing, but I was concerned that if I was to go back to the Alps and accidentally kill myself bimbling down a mountain that I wouldn’t be covered. I will double check before taking out the cover though

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

You will be covered.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

It’s definitely not a problem.
    However, if you are still concerned, disclose it on the application form. The life insurer cannot decline a claim if you’ve disclosed it on the application.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Life insurance – is mountain biking an extreme sport?’ is closed to new replies.