Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • life begins at forty- discuss….(if your over forty i need your input)
  • iDave
    Free Member

I'll be 44 in a few weeks, i can loose fat if i want to, i can date attractive women if i want to, i can do whatever i want to do, finances permitting. if you think its all bad, its all bad, your choice. no time for the moaners, who were probably moaning when they were in their twentys. it's just a number

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

judderman – really sorry to hear that.

I'm 45 this year. When I was in my early 20's all I really did was get p*ssed and ride bikes (engine and pedal-powered).

Now I'm in my mid-40's I'm happily married, got two lovely daughters, plenty of good mates, nice house, car, motorbike, cellar full of expensive bicycles, good job, enough cash to be comfortable – all good.

But ultimately I still like to get p*ssed and ride bikes (not simultaneously!).

Some things never change, and I have no intention of changing anything. If I want to do something I will, thinking if it's appropriate for my age never enters the equation. (Though I won't wear Converse All Stars any more, or drainpipe jeans, as I suspect I might look a tad desperate).

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Re the MS diagnosis – not fun, but not all bad. Chap I worked with was diagnosed over 10 years ago and he still leads walks and does half marathons. Some of the people he runs with dont know he has any health issues. It can be rough on some people, but its not so bad for plenty more.

Re fat not shifting at 40+ well, thats bollocks you are still eating too much and kidding yourself you have cut down. Like that sad saying, no one was fat in concentration camps. I lost a stone and a half this year, despite not riding much and I come into the over 40 camp.

The hardest part of being over 40 is being aware that lots of people see women over 35 or so as instantly worthless in every aspect, even as colleagues in a workplace. Its generally other peoples prejudices against age (in job applications,in general attitude) that is the problem with getting older. You just feel the same in yourself as you always have, you can do the same things as you always have. Its narrow minded attitudes that start to become a problem as people start to 'write you off' on some kind of automatic basis as our society and particularly our media loath anything but 'youth'.

jj55

55 this year – feels like everyting is now going into hyperdrive and my life is whizzing past me at an ever increasing speed 😯

Life has never been so good – each decade so far has had its good points – now i'm moving towards the 'third age' and its great

(except for mornings when things that used to be stiff ain't, and things that weren't stiff now are 🙄 )

Just forget about what age you are and enjoy yourself

Ancient Sanskrit Poem

Look well to this Day
    For it is Life…
    the very Best of Life!
    In its brief course lie all
    the Realities and Truths of Existence
    the Joy of Growth!
    the Splendour of Action!
    the Glory of Power!

for Yesterday is but a memory
    and Tomorrow is only a vision
    but Today IF LIVED WELL* makes
    every yesterday a Memory of Happiness
    and every tomorrow a Vision of Hope
    LOOK WELL THEREFORE TO THIS DAY!

* Be and Give the best you can in all your tasks and relationships

(and drink whisky!)

shoei
    Free Member

Midnighthour – Member

Re the MS diagnosis – not fun, but not all bad. Chap I worked with was diagnosed over 10 years ago and he still leads walks and does half marathons. Some of the people he runs with dont know he has any health issues. It can be rough on some people, but its not so bad for plenty more.

Depends which of the many iterations of MS you get lumbered with.
    I did an MS info day at local uni, was frightening to see so many in wheel chairs/using sticks/frames, yet as you mentioned, so many have MS with no visible sign there is anything wrong with them.
    I look normal(well as normal as a 40yr old with 2 young kids can look) but have spent the past 12 months with the feeling of sunburn/peeled skin in my right arm, cross my shoulders and back. It pretty much drove me to the brink.

Hence why im trying as much to get out on the bike and enjoy life along with watching my kids grow up.
    Last year was bad, but on our holiday took my lad wave jumping in the sea. He loved it and it gave me something to keep me going when i felt like crap.

My 40th being a write off, will concentrate on next years biggie, 20th wedding anniversary.

cinnamon_girl

Ti29er – darn right you're gonna get some flack!

OK, I remember your moving post some time ago concerning your father suffering from dementia. Same for me, mine is 89 years old. This in itself spurs one on to do as much as one can, whilst one is physically able.

I belong to the exclusive club of over 50's and, believe me, it's not that bad! Body is held together by glucosamine sulphate (1500mg per day) so no joint stiffness for me. No post-ride snoozes either like some youngsters do either 😯 And, whilst we're on the subject of the body, I've no complaints cos everything is working as it's supposed to!

Actually, I probably shouldn't be posting this. Let's be honest, who wants to go on group rides organised by some mad over-50 woman 🙄 But folk turn up at Swinley Forest and various other locations and, hopefully, by the end of the ride they will just treat me as any other rider.

I was in fact visiting my father today in the nursing home and some of the residents are actually physically very active. They do circuits with their frames, over and over again, and lo and behold if your chair is blocking them. Would be interesting to know what distance they cover each day!

When I hit my early 60's, mountain bikes will be sold and a carbon road bike purchased. Oh and a tourer too 8)

Use it or lose it 😀

silverpigeon
    Free Member

41 here and life is great. MTFU FFS!

Being mature is good thing – Just have a think about how many women have told you to come back you're mature

Bear
    Free Member

As I am now over 40 (well 1 day!) can confirm that feel no different, get on with it and live your life to the full….

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Worst part of being older ( 52 soon ) is I don't bounce as well as I used to, and the bruises take longer to fade and aches last longer…

Apart from that I really can't think of many down sides….

I now realise I don't care what folks think … so i don't have to wear the "right " clothes for my age as deemed fit by society… so Jeans, skate shoes, loud jackets are all fine,… although I do like my smart suits when the occasion is right..

I'm looking forward to a new skate/ bmx park opening in Harrogate so i can get a BMX and maybe finally learn how to jump … will I look OLD compared to the kids I see riding street bmx near me… HELL YES … will I feel uncomfortable .. Hell No .. .what will they think of an " Old Fogey " using their park … DILLIGAF 😉

slimtubing
    Free Member

41 2 weeks ago, lost a stone last year by just commuting every day to uni so lighest i've been for about 6 years. Saw some pics of my school reunion held back in Dunoon and thought I've aged pretty well compared to the majority of my classmates. Under no misapprehension that i look young but I certainly don't look or feel old.

Coyote
    Free Member

43 here and loving it. 40 is the new 30! Fitter than I've ever been. Happy? Oh yes. I'd like to ride more, but wouldn't we all!

Get over yourself. Age is a state of mind. Hate to agree with him but sfb has the right attitude to age.

mrsflash
    Free Member

The thing is, there's nothing you can do about it is there, so you might as well just forget about it. Having said that I had a wobble about being 35 last year, I definitely went though the "what am I doing with my life" thing – was being made redundant at the same time which really didn't help.

But every time I worry about my age, I look at my dad, who at nearly 76 is having the time of his life. He's married to a woman 10 years his junior and goes on about 6 or 7 holidays a year – all over the place – Mongolia, Ethiopia, Uzbekistan, Russia, Sri Lanka, to name but a few recent ones. He retired at 60, got married about 4 years after that, so I reckon life actually begins at 60. I'm looking forward to it…

adeward
    Free Member

47 now,, i still swim cycle and run (not if i can help it) i am a member of oxford tri club,, and still keep up with the young bloods in the fast lane at the pool..

used to work in F1 and giving that up and becomeing a technician at my local skool was great

i think being this old quality of life is more important than earning lots of money 13 weeks holiday helps

and remeber youth is wasted on the young

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

The only time i shake my head a bit about age is September each year when our new students start. This years intake will have been born in '94, eek!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Redthunder, that was a funny post about your eyebrows, it had me laughing, and Young Dave Riley outlook on life summed it all up for me.

EDIT!

Edric64
    Free Member

I can't wait to get to 50 (in 4 years time) and go on Saga holidays and get cheap car insurance!!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I didn't start mountain biking til I was over 50 😀

Ti29er
    Free Member

My Tanita scales today told me I have the body of a 36yr old.
    The Dr last week confirmed I have the knees of a 75yr old.
    I feel like a refugee from Robot Wars!

I'm closer in age to the bride's mother than I am to the bridemaids & I quite look forward to time by myself.
    Now all I need is a high-backed chair, a Rover 45 in the drive & a pair of slippers.

I met a couple whilst out trekking solo over the High Atlas Mtns a couple of years ago. Both in their 70's, they now have to hire a mule and guide when they go on home-made adventures, but I'd love to still be a free spirit myself in 20-30 years time & fit enough to able to do something abouit it (although that'd make my knees 105!).

I bought my 1st bike in my 40's (had them as a kid).

chewkw
    Free Member

Life begins when you are burden free but when that happens death is not very far away. 🙄

shooterman

I'm 39 in June and freaking out about turning 40. Not where I wanted to be at this age! I'm in a fairly insecure job and the thought of being unemployed at 40 is wrecking my head!

On the plus side, when I turn 40 I will owe nothing but the mortgage and I should have that cleared by 42 or 43. I see life beginning at that age as I intend to travel lots.

yunki
    Free Member

jj55..
    I like your poem… It sums up the thinking of most sane people that live round my way very well..
    I'm interested though.. is the asterisked part and the whiskey line part of the original poem or a later add-on?

father
    Free Member

No point in worrying about getting older. Just keep riding. You may be slower (and take longer to heal), but it's just as much fun as it always was. Next year, when I'm 62, I might put some gears on my bike.

father
    Free Member

No point in worrying about getting older. Just keep riding. You may be slower (and take longer to heal), but it's just as much fun as it always was. Next year, when I'm 62, I might put some gears on my bike.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

personally i think the "life begins at 40" saying relates to a situation rather than actually being 40. i suspect that at age 40(ish), mr & mrs average's kids have flown the nest and they've paid off their mortgage, therefore mr & mrs average have suddenly got extra time and money on their hands and start doing more with said time and money and hence… life begins at 40!

it's only a theory but i think it's feasable.

as for being 40? it doesn't matter, it's just a number.

as for wondering what people are thinking about you? it doesn't matter, they can think what they want, if they've got a problem then that's exactly what it is… their problem. you should do exactly what you want.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Do you do any more or less in the bedroom on or after your fortieth birthday?

One of the advantages must be getting her to take her teeth out to give ye a blow 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Since I was 40 I have stopped going to nightclubs and I cannot drink much without hangovers. However I have gone trekking in Slovenia, walked across Scotland, toured offroad around Scotland, ridden MTBs all over the place, learnt to jump on a bike, done a couple of races, done a degree, climbed a couple of ten thousand foot peaks, ridden a motorbike around europe at ridiculous speeds and had a lot of fun.

50 next year. I shall invest in more tweed

zaskar
    Free Member

I'm 33 now, I don't feel any different from 25 and fitter than I was at 15 although bit fatter than 26.

I'm targeting a low roadie weight this year for one more shot of my personal best next year.

People are living longer based on health and nutrition. Are we staying younger for longer? I was faster at 24 but endurance has improved with age.

Exercise mind & body, ride and have fun! 😈

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘life begins at forty- discuss….(if your over forty i need your input)’ is closed to new replies.