• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Life after Sky- help needed from tech experts.
  • wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve given notice to Sky with the intent of getting a better deal but now feel inclined to bin them and get something else.

The kids watch you tube and netflix. We all watch strictly and the good lady likes the soaps and dramas.
    Theres a lot of recording and watching later going on with the dramas.

What are the options(if any), Apple TV with a Now sub, Freesat box, Sky box without sub??

wrightyson
    Free Member

Squeeze the ****! Sky, will, as I can vouch give you a great deal on bband and if you’re in the area where it’s OK then it’s a good deal. I held out and I’m now on a rolling monthly so I can cancel at anytime. They seem to be quite keen on that at the moment so that’s what I’d be looking at with free bb

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Make sure your settings on your MySky account are set to receive marketing e-mails. This is how they will get in touch with improved offers as your disconnect date approaches. Offers are likely to improve as disconnection approaches.

Drac

Like numerous threads on here ride it out they’ll be in touch, they rang me, just before you expirey time. You don’t need to sign up to their broadband to get a deal.

martinhutch

They’ll offer you a discount. Don’t crack until it’s 50%.

StirlingCrispin

Ditch them.

Buy a Humax Freesat box. Swap the satellite cables (takes a couple of minutes, even for a numpty) and away you go.

Buy a Chromecast and cast Netflix from your phone/tablet.

You’ll never look back.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We binned our Sky 6 years ago, £1000 a year for multi room HD so thats £6k saved 😯

Apple TV (cheap box £70?) works well if you have an iPhone or iPad as you can access more content options and use BBc iPlayer etc for catchup. The ATV itself can get Netflix and NowTV plus RedBull, Youtube etc …

EDIT: as above connect a freesat box to the dish, will be better quality than digital ariel I suspect

If you are going to stream content then make sure your broadband and wifi are up to scratch. We now have our internet router next to ATV/TV and connect via ethernet cable. We have fibre (200Mps) and it does showmthat often its the streaming service which is slow rather than the home connection.

Caher

Or get a DVD player that has some apps like Netflix and Amazon

Alphabet

We ditched Sky a few years ago and switched to Freesat. Just unplug the Sky box and plug in a Humax Freesat box.

wilburt
    Free Member

Looking at the freesat boxes, any features a must have?

I bought a apple tv box last night so that’ll take car of the streaming.

THIS is in top spot so far because I’ll be using ethernet and my own hard drive bit ideally it would have two sat inputs.

cranberry
    Free Member

There are newer Humax boxes with all sort of new features, but the Foxsat T2 ( only available 2nd hand ) is also good if you want to share any HD content that you have recorded. You can flash the firmware, which is really easy to do, and then control it from a browser.

fettlin

Ditched sky last year, went through all the offers to stay (50% was the best we got) but stuck to our guns.
    Went freesat and Amazon Prime. We have the model linked to above in our bedroom and this in the living room.

Identical apart from lack of record on the smaller one (which if your going to use your own HD shouldn’t be a problem). The only other thing will be the lack of second sat connector, won’t be as free to record one channel and watch another, if that bothers you.

Menus, epg, catch up, media server are identical between the two as far as I can detect, even the freesat app works the same (can control both boxes independently).

The only issue we get is the boxes sometimes slow right down/freeze. Not a big problem, off and on again sorts it but it can get tedious. Other than that, we would recommend either machine.

br
    Free Member

Does anywhere other than Sky show British Eurosport?

wilburt
    Free Member

I believe, only from this recent research, you can get Now TV as an app or on its own box and watch any sky channels (Now TV is a trading name of Sky).

Thanks to all for box advice.

edit: actually no its just sky sports, but you can stream eurosport elsewhere its just about getting it through the web rather than a satellite.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Another vote for freesat and Amazon prime.

smogmonster

I cancelled mine totally 6 weeks ago. Yesterday got a call from them, offered a whole year, contract free Family pack (the one that has Eurosport) with HD, for absolutely nowt, then half price for 6 months after that. I dont intend giving them a penny ever agian, but if they want to give it away, i feel obligated……

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve had a little while getting used to Apple TV and really like it. Not sure the good lady is convinced but its more than enough tv for me.

spooky_b329

Can’t remember the exact details, but I was offered 60% off all packages, enough credit on my bill to leave me in surplus after 12 months on a family pack. And no contract.

So I topped it up with a film pack and a couple of other bits, ran out of credit 8 months later and had hardly watched anything.

So I called to cancel the ‘no contract’. They put me on hold while they went and listened to the recording of the initial call as I was contracted for 12 months. Got out of it, but was a hassle.

yosemitepaul

And another for Freesat and Amazon, with a bit of Apple TV thrown in too. Saves a fortune.
    I miss a bit of sport, but life is too short to get concerned about it. Money saved equals a good few nights away.

wilburt
    Free Member

Apple TV also has games apps so I’ve just spent an hour playing ten pin bowling when I really should have been writing a report on something or other.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Put Sky on notice last week after years of moaning about it, they’re sacked, don’t care about discounts (well maybe).

My plan is this; we’re moving to a house finally with fibre.

Apple TV for the interface for the sake of my slightly technophobic Wife.

Netflix as we already have it.

IPlayer, 4OD, ITV player etc covers all the freeview stuff, we’ve got a freeview tuner on the tv already, but one

NowTV – it’s £4-£5 a month if you shop around and offers all the Sky stuff we like- Walking Dead, Game of Thrones etc.

£33 a month including fibre from Vodafone.

Currently paying £90 and I don’t think we’re losing a single bit of TV output we like- bar live F1, but I’ll sacrifice that for £60ish a month saving.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Life after Sky- help needed from tech experts.’ is closed to new replies.