Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Life after iphone
  • jet26
    Free Member

Have an iPhone 4s and am a mac user but fed up of abysmal battery life, even with light use.

Main uses are phone calls – funny that, mail, web and sat nav (not common and yes I know this eats battery!)

Anyway anyone gone android after iphone and how have you found it?

Just soldier on or change? Thinking new moto 4g when it comes out. Will buy one as on sim only tariff and not interested in spending Hundreds on a phone every two years….

grum
    Free Member

Get a new battery put in it? How long have you had it? Switched off all the things you can switch off?

martymac

never had an iphone, love the way apple products look/feel/work, they really are great to use imo.
    but went android for phone and am about to do the same for my first tablet, for 2 main reasons.
    1: samsung galaxy phone, i can replace battery with a higher capacity one if i need to. (i haven’t)
    2: i can add a micro sd card for extra storage. (i have done this)

apart from this, there is little to choose between the two systems imo.
    if apple allowed me to increase the storage, i would probably buy their products instead.

mickmcd
    Free Member

i have a nokia ,cost 9.95 from tescos

it has the battery life equivalent to an island full of galapagos tortoise…..unfortunately it doesn’t do anything other than ring and text

but hey these appear TO BE THE SACRIFICES i had to make to have a device which i can actually ring someone on rather than it be flat every 16 seconds of the day

CountZero

The battery will be getting on now, get wysiwyg to install a new one, around £15. I use an iPhone 4 and a 5, the 4 is my iPod, and gets used regularly with Shazam, and I get a day or so out of it, the same with the 5. Both get used for occasional navigation, the 5 is also used for photos as well, and both for web browsing, depending on network availability, ( they’re on different networks).
    Batteries can vary a lot, and a brand new one will certainly improve matters.
    You ought to get an Anker battery from Amazon; they can charge the phone several times, as well as cameras and such, as they have two USB ports.

jam-bo

Is charging a phone really so hard? I use mine pretty heavily and probably charge it every day, either at my desk if I’m at work, or overnight if I’m at home. I can even charge it in the car….mad eh.

Alphabet

I’d swap the battery for a new one and make sure you can charge it in your car (assuming you commute in one) and at work (assuming you’re in an office and have your own desk).

Edit: p.s. I don’t think there is life after an iPhone 😉

swavis

I’ve just upgraded to a Galaxy s4 from an iPhone 4s. I was a bit meh to begin with and the preloaded txt and email apps are pap, now using txtra for sms and cloud magic for email and it’s much better. Camera is fantastic and the bigger screen is sooo much better. When I pick up the iPhone now the screen seems tiny.
    I just got a bit bored with the iPhone after 5 years and fancied a change, I’m glad I did.

PePPeR

I was an iphone user, great phones, but wanted a bigger screen so went for a Samsung Note 2, its been nearly 2 years now and its still a fantastic phone!

Although when it comes to upgrade time I’ll probably go for a smaller S5 this time!

allfankledup

Ta for the recommendation for textra. Mrs is a happy camper with that app,

molgrips
    Free Member

Consider a Nokia 920. Top end phone and only £150 new unlocked on ebay.

Will buy one as on sim only tariff and not interested in spending Hundreds on a phone every two years..

Eh? Don’t you have to spend many hundreds to buy the thing anyway?

Have an iPhone 4s and am a mac user but fed up of abysmal battery life, even with light use.

On my Nokia I’ve been disabling services to improve battery life, but when I eventually disabled the weather lock-screen and live tile the battery life seems to have doubled. It could be one or two apps that are chewing most of your battery.

but hey these appear TO BE THE SACRIFICES i had to make to have a device which i can actually ring someone on rather than it be flat every 16 seconds of the day

Personally I only need a phone to last 18 or so hours, because I always have it on my bedside table at night (always have done) so I just stick a charger there – problem solved. Even easier with wireless charging.

barkm
    Free Member

Just gone back to my old 4s after a year using an Xperia Z1. Just couldn’t get on with it at all, laden with annoyances. It has been my only Android phone experience. Although I really like my nexus7.
    The 4s/IOS is stunningly good by comparison just a massive relief.
    The Xperia went on ebay.

I thought the big screen would be worthwhile, but not really.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Get a new battery put in it? How long have you had it? Switched off all the things you can switch off?

What @grum says.

I just changed the battery on my 4S (£8 quid off Amazon) and it’s transformed. I did consider a proper Apple store switch but at £55 I thought I’d have a go myself first. I am hardly a DIY competent person (cannot fix/service my bike) but it was pretty simple, a few small screws and one fiddly part but it took 10 mins.

Background apps running location services are really battery hungry. The new iOS8 due in Sept/Oct has a feature which show battery usage by App, people blame the phone but its the third party apps especially running int he background which eat the battery. You should try switching off location services all together and seeing how the battery lasts.

I had a 3G and switched to a Blackberry and hated it, admittedly not another Android Smart phone.

I would suggest you change the battery and then wait for the iPhone6, if you like that get one of those or look for a used 5S

loddrik
    Free Member

Just to put a contrary story across. I’ve tried replacing batteries in 2 4s’s I’ve had and I knackered them both. Apple then wouldn’t touch them as I’d opened them. Had to sell both on eBay for spares or repair. Probably more a statement of how shite I am at most things rather than it being a difficult job. I guess my point is that whilst for many it’s an easy job it’s also possible to **** it up which turns into an expensive mistake.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@loddrik, what did you break ? Did you break it removing the glued in battery ?

loddrik
    Free Member

Manages to dislodge a different wire both times. I think it was soldered onto the circuit board.

sharkbait
    Free Member

TBH iOS is just an OS that I’m sure the developers have done what they can to eliminate wasted power use. I’m fairly sure that changing to an Andriod phone will make no difference [other than having a phone with a new battery in it] as …..

iOS Andriod is just an OS that I’m sure the developers have done what they can to eliminate wasted power use.

Try a new battery in your iPhone – it’s easy. Or sell it to me.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Went from iphone 4 to Samsung S3 almost two years ago.
    The ability to use an sd card is a big plus as never any memory issues when need to update software.
    My eldest son uses the 4 as ipod/games toy and whenever need to update software I generally have to delete things off it to free up enough space.
    Android is great and easy to use, but if apple added micro SD card slots would possibly go back to them.
    Due an upgrade now and pondering my next move – stick with S3 and go sim only deal or upgrade to something else. Would not get iphone because of ridiculous price for 32/64GB versions. Toying with idea of Sony Z1 Compact as fancy something a bit smaller than S3.

Solo
    Free Member

Life after iphone
    On STW ?…. BURN HIM !

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTSsB92L_s[/video]

loddrik
    Free Member

Have ditched iPhones for android on a few occasions. Always back to an iphone a month or so later. I think I’ve learned my lesson now.

Get a new battery in it or get a 5/5c/5s.

nemesis
    Free Member

Most smartphones have issues with battery life though many have replaceable batteries (without having to take the whole thing apart!).

To the original question though, I swapped from an iPhone a few years back, When I go the iPhone, android wasn’t really up to much. Now I’d never go back as I found the iPhone’s ‘my way or tough’ approach frustrating but most people don’t seem bothered by that. I just like that I can get my phone to work how I want. I can define the default apps for specific actions, I can always find apps that do what I want and the whole google system (including drive, maps, music, etc) all work really well together.

FWIW, my sister (very much a mac fan and iphone owner for several years) swapped to a Samsung S4 and she’s really happy with it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI[/video]

Loddrik opening an iphone earlier.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wysiwyg Excellent. God Bless the internet !

hypnotoad
    Free Member

How long if your battery lasting?

If its less than a day Apple may swap it out

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Double post

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If you’re caning 3G it’ll kill it. Wifi not as badly. I have all notifications turned off except eBay. Email only polls when apps open. GPS off etc etc.

You can take it to apple and ask them to check the battery usage. Whereby they sign into their website on your phone and it displays battery data. Basically what’s coming in ios 8.

If it’s over 2yo they won’t freebie swap it I very much doubt unless you have a large bossom

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m a massive mac fanboy and have been since the mid 80s. I use A Moto G though and am considering a Chromebook now as so much of my life now uses Chrome so the platform is increasingly less important.
    Macs for the day job though every time.d

samuri
    Free Member

I have an HTC One after a few years of iphones. I’d never go back. Way nicer phone. Way more configurable. Good sized screen.

Battery life on any phone though is about how you use it. Turn off wireless and data when you’re not using them. Put the screen on half brightness. The HTC is better than my old iphone for battery but not by much.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

HTC one here, great phone, battery life is rubbish!

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Galaxy note 2. Lasts all day with heavy usage. Worst battery killer is the Facebook app so I got rid.

I moved away from an iPhone a year ago. Not looking back. Takes a week to get used to.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My 4S is 18 months old and they did the battery check which showed it starting to degrade. No free switch and quote was £55 which was why I decided to try the change DIY.

neilco
    Free Member

4s to Xperia z1. Like the fact that I saved £200 and that this phone is wayerproof. Hate everything else. Just reminds me that iOS nailed it, whereas android and / or sony phone is full of nasty, nasty bloat ware. Still, have £200 extra in my pocket. *pays money takes choice

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Up until a couple of years ago, I always had Andriod based phones. I assumed the back cover was removable, because the amount of times they froze, or crashed, the only way to reset them to restart was pull the battery out.

Then I went to an iphone. It’s only ever happened once in two years. And all I had to do was hold a couple of buttons down and it sorted itself out.

I have a Galaxy 4S for work, and it’s rubbish. Feels like a kids toy in comparison. Same old Samsung, still keep crashing, despite the lack of use compared to my own phone.

It works better, and it’s better screwed together. I’m not nerdy enough to be worried that certain apps arn’t available, it gets used for calls, texts, emails, some web use and a sat nav. It just works.

That said, I do want to punch the PC when it comes to iTunes though.

crispyrice

it has the battery life equivalent to an island full of galapagos tortoise

Classic 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Life after iphone’ is closed to new replies.