Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Life after Breaking Bad!
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

+1 for most of the shows already mentioned. Breaking Bad was pretty spectacular.

To wean myself off The Wire I watched The Corner which was also created by David Simon. Didn’t take to Treme though.

Carnivale was great – Clancy Brown as Brother Justin is the greatest baddy since The Kurgan in Highlander who was played by……Clancy Brown.

John from Cincinnati is worth a watch. Never had any idea what was going on but loved every minute of it.

The Guardian runs a column called “Your Next Box Set” which is worth following. They’ve recommended some good stuff over the years. Latest getting a mention is The Mentalist

Your Nexr Box Set

lardcore
    Free Member

Three pages in and no mention of Treme?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator 
    Bloody hell how do some of you watch so much TV?

Rarely watch spoonfed broadcast tv, so can pick and choose and watch exactly what I want when I want.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Deadwood is a cracking shout.

fasthaggis

Just started watching Generation Kill.

batfink
    Free Member

Just started watching Generation Kill.

THAT is awesome! Re-watched it a couple of times.

Pook

Sadexpunk – the fly episode has relevance later

namastebuzz
    Free Member

lardcore – Member

Three pages in and no mention of Treme?

Except in my post – immediately before yours 😉

TBH although I liked the cast, the setting, the music and the storyline I just couldn’t get that into it. When you finished an episode you didn’t think, “I’ve got to watch another one!”

Took me nearly 2yrs to watch season 1 and I’ve not gone any further.

After the The Wire, The Corner and Generation Kill I suppose I just expected more from David Simon.

sadexpunk

Sadexpunk – the fly episode has relevance later

ahhh does it now, thanks 🙂

we just blitzed 4 episodes last night and got to the end of series 3. tired this morning *yaaaaawn* 😀

shortcut

Currently enjoying The Following and Hostages.

grum
    Free Member

– Generation Kill is really good
    – I rewatched The Wire again recently and it seems a bit dated – still great though.
    – Sopranos is fantastic
    – Sons of Anarchy is ludicrously cheesy and unrealistic but pretty entertaining
    – Same for The Shield (far too long though – 7 series!)
    – BSG – great in places but loses it’s way at times and has a dodgy ending – worth watching though
    – Homeland started out great but over-reached itself

For a little outside bet – I really enjoyed Jericho, even though they had to cobble together an ending when the money ran out.

I’m also in the never watch scheduled tv camp – do spend a fair amount of time watching movies and tv series I suppose.

andy8442
    Free Member

Californication. Generation Kill. Both a little hard to source though.

lardcore
    Free Member

Van Damn it!

Yes, it’s not The Wire and doesn’t have that addictive ‘just one more episode’ quality to it. On the other hand it does have some wonderful characters, great music and a lot of food (definitely a bad idea to watch on an empty stomach).

kimbers

grum the writers have continued season 3 of jericho as a graphic novel, which isnt too bad, certainly moves the plot on

loddrik
    Free Member

I fancy one for the summer

footflaps

Still an awful lot of TV to watch especially when you haven’t got one.

I hate to bring you into the 21st century but you don’t actually need a TV to watch TV programmes. There is thing new fangled thing called the Internet……

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Yes, it’s not The Wire and doesn’t have that addictive ‘just one more episode’ quality to it. On the other hand it does have some wonderful characters, great music and a lot of food (definitely a bad idea to watch on an empty stomach).

Oh yeah, I forgot about the food. I’m lucky enough to have been to to Louisiana a few times and sampled some good ol’ Cajun cooking.

My criticism is starting to sound a bit like – “What have the Romans ever done for us?”……………

seosamh77
    Free Member

– Homeland started out great but over-reached itself

Thought the second half of series 3 was great, came back on form.

footflaps

Thought the second half of series 3 was great, came back on form.

Agree.

StuE
    Free Member

If you have not seen it, Das Boot is very good

oldboy
    Free Member

+1 for Das Boot, and thanks for reminding me, Stu E, I must watch it as again.

Cougar

Life after Breaking Bad, you say?

tacopowell
    Free Member

Watch it again, I’ve watched the first three seasons a few times,
    Keep seeing things, Keep enjoying it!

sadexpunk

just finished the 4th series, bluddy brilliant. seems to me that would have been the ideal place to finish, but im sure ill change my mind after getting into no5.

btw, id appreciate a round of applause please for last nights efforts. we did a ’10 episode marathon’ til 3.30am 😀

got 5 days left before netflix free month is up. reckon we’ll get the last 16 episodes in? haha, it wont matter if not anyway, we’ll be subscribing i reckon 🙂

Dolcered

I also thought series 4 would have been a fine place to stop bb.

to replace it we’ve seen American horror story series 1. twin peaks weirdness.
    weeds. I could only hack 2 episodes, too much like 90210 with marijuana.
    now on son’s of anarchy. just cottoned on to what Sam crow is!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I watched the first episode of BB.

So far I’m a bit underwhelmed. If it doesn’t pick up soon I’m leaving it.

DrJ

@ScottChegg – I thought that same after the first episode. Now I’m having to ration myself to one or two episodes per night, both to make it last longer, and to avoid damage to my heart from too much stress.

DrJ

Have to second stuartie’s suggestion for spiral, engaging plot, brilliant characters, reminds me every time I watch it why I love France so much.

French woman wearing a vest, simply does not get better than that.

+1 for Spiral

+1 for the vest thing

-100 for forgetting to mention Jospehine Karlsson.

Cougar

It’s a slow burn. You really need to give it a good half season at least before making a decision.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’m going to keep at it for a bit, but it’s hard to find someone to cheer on.

As for things you haven’t seen, I enjoyed ‘Life’ with Damo Lewis last year. I’d never heard of it, and found it good fun.

mactheknife

ScottGhegg, i stuck through S1, but found it dull and depressing. It just gets better and better. They are plot setting in the first season.

z1ppy

‘Life’ is excellent, just too short

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

I watched Breaking Bad while offshore. I watched it again at home, as my wife decided to give it a go. Great the second time around!

These are worth a look
    The killing 1-3
    Spiral 1-4
    The Bridge 1
    Borgen 1-3
    The Wire 1-4
    Californication 1-3
    Life
    Sopranos
    West wing

Making my way through Deadwood, it good so far!

andyeez
    Free Member

No mention of “Underbelly” so far… great series based on true events

DrJ

The Wire 1-4

Maybe just a typo, but … The Wire 5 is in some ways the best, IMO

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

My barometer, rightly or wrongly, for new stuff to watch is usually IMDB.

Anyone watched Person of Interest? It’s on my radar as something that may well suit.

Oh, and if it hasn’t been mentioned already, Fringe is really good.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I really didn’t like BB. Mr Panda loved it, however, and is hooked. I just thought all the characters were horrible, for the most part, and I didn’t care what happened to any of them. I have to put up with enough horrible people in real life, I don’t want them on my tv screen.

Cougar

Anyone watched Person of Interest? It’s on my radar as something that may well suit.

I’m up to episode 8. It starts off like a remake of The Equaliser without Ewar Woowoo or, perhaps, the sort of thing Glen Larson, Don Bellisario et all were knocking out in the 80s; to wit, unlikely duo pitched together with a MacGuffin to fight crime. So far so Street Hawk / Knight Rider / Magnum PI etc.

The episodes so far have been monster crime of the week and whilst the characters are great and the stories have been fun, it’s left me wanting more. However, it’s getting to a point now where plot threads are starting to show, characters are recurring and I’m going “oh yeah” with regards to previous episodes. I’m getting the feeling that it’s about to get really good.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It makes for good background viewing when I’m working from home but don’t expect too much intellectual stimulation.

“Mr Reece are you OK? “Not now Finch, I’m fighting fifteen Russian mobsters and you’re cramping my style.”

Cougar

It’s a bit like Taken: The Series.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Life after Breaking Bad!’ is closed to new replies.