Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lidl HRM, will it connect to a garmin edge? (Lidl cycle sale on Monday btw)
  • markshires
    Free Member

I have noticed that there is a cycle sale at lidl starting next Monday, there’s not much advertised really.

However there is a heart rate monitor in it, I just wondered whether anyone knows whether it will work with a garmin edge 810?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=21707

daver27
    Free Member

does the garmin support bluetooth? i thought they were just ANT+. if it doesn’t i would suspect this won’t work

markshires
    Free Member

It bluetooths to my phone for the livetrack function and uploads.

simon_g

Bluetooth: Garmin made the virtually unforgivable selection of going with Bluetooth 2.1. In doing so, the unit will never be compatible with the host of new Bluetooth Smart sensors flooding onto the market – all of which require Bluetooth 4.0 (it’s a chipset thing, not a software thing). This means that there can’t be connectivity to any new Bluetooth Smart heart rate straps, speed/cadence sensors, power meters, or other items. Further, they couldn’t expand into areas such as connectivity to Bluetooth Smart trainers – like the Wahoo KICKR. How cool would it have been if you could control resistance on your trainer from the Edge? Simply can’t happen now. They could and should have placed a full Bluetooth 4.0 chip in there (not just Bluetooth Smart like in the Garmin Fenix watch), which would have still been compatible with legacy smart phones as well as new Bluetooth Smart sensors.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garmin-edge-810-in-depth-review.html

Deveron53
    Free Member

I picked one up this morning (thread hijack) to see if it works with a S4 mini and Strava – cheap enough to experiment! I may have to go via a different app but i’m determined!

njee20
    Free Member

Bluetooth: Garmin made the virtually unforgivable selection of going with Bluetooth 2.1. In doing so, the unit will never be compatible with the host of new Bluetooth Smart sensors flooding onto the market – all of which require Bluetooth 4.0 (it’s a chipset thing, not a software thing). This means that there can’t be connectivity to any new Bluetooth Smart heart rate straps, speed/cadence sensors, power meters, or other items. Further, they couldn’t expand into areas such as connectivity to Bluetooth Smart trainers – like the Wahoo KICKR. How cool would it have been if you could control resistance on your trainer from the Edge? Simply can’t happen now. They could and should have placed a full Bluetooth 4.0 chip in there (not just Bluetooth Smart like in the Garmin Fenix watch), which would have still been compatible with legacy smart phones as well as new Bluetooth Smart sensors.

Interesting – the Edge 1000 has a full Bluetooth 4.0 chipset AFAIK, that’s the first hardware difference I’m aware of (screen resolution aside) with cheaper units.

bazzer
    Free Member

KICKR does ANT+ too and that how my PC controls it so not entirely true.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lidl HRM, will it connect to a garmin edge? (Lidl cycle sale on Monday btw)’ is closed to new replies.