Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Lidl Beer
  • Kryton57

Wasn’t there a good one? I stood indecisively in Lidl earlier before selecting a Stella six pack, and a bottle of Halewood Green Goblin.

Whats the decent Lidl beer if there is one?*

*Lidl superstore opening 1/ mile away in 2 weeks, this is important.

williamnot
    Free Member

their pretendy craft beers are ok. I like the Green Gecko IPA and purple panther porter

nostoc
    Free Member

those two plus the amber adder

devash
    Free Member

The German wheat beer they do is quite nice for the money.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hatherwood is their own brand. It was brewed at the Wytchwood brewery and Ruby Rooster is (allegedly) a slightly weaker version of the original cask Hobgoblin recipe.

Lidl superstore opening 1/ mile away in 2 weeks, this is important.

TBH though, this is a bit like “Halfords superstore opening 1/ mile away in 2 weeks, Whats the decent £100 bike”

Find your local brewery, drink their beer, realise that almost anything you can buy commercially from a supermarket is made to a low price point and probably just another badge engineered beer from AB Inbev.

welshfarmer

yet to find a German Wheat beer in Lidls round here. Aldi yes, but in 5 different Lidls nothing 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

That hatherwood crap gives me a horrendous hang over even after only a couple of bottles.

Strangely as does deeside brewery’s stuff.

Yet I can drink a fair scoop of the other local brewery’s(brewdog) stuff without batting an eyelid…..

devash
    Free Member

yet to find a German Wheat beer in Lidls round here. Aldi yes, but in 5 different Lidls nothing

Ah sorry, my mistake. It might have been the Aldi one I was thinking about.

If you like wheat beer see if any local speciality beer shops do this;

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/schneider-weisse-aventinus/2224/

Absolute stormer of a wheat beer.

singletrackmind

Find your local brewery, drink their beer, realise that almost anything you can buy commercially from a supermarket is made to a low price point and probably just another badge engineered beer from AB Inbev.

I resemble that remark . Load of tosh . 75,000 bottles of beer sold last year . 25,000 to Tesco to the exact same recipe as the 50,000. Its also pretty close to the draught version as its sterile filtered and carbonated to 1.8Vols , so its fizzy enough but not like Fosters levels.

kayla1
    Free Member

Yes, the pretendy craft beers are nice. Use them to wash a packet of their ridiculously tasty Indian dahl snacks down- burp.

CraigW
    Free Member

They have some own brand cider, made by Westons, rather nice.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve recently been road testing their “Belgian Bruin” style beers. Patrus and Galouise (sp?). Both 6.5%, both £4.99 for 4x330ml. Very nice, sweet and caramelly. Much like Leffe Bruin which my local Tesco annoyingly stopped stocking.

This is only practical/affordable up to a point. A bottle of ipa or export stout from my local brewery is £3.99 from the offie. Compared with £4.99 for four of the aforementioned Lidl beers. The artisanal, hand crafted, kiln dried, titanium and carbon fibre beer is lovely and luckily I’m friends with one of the brewers but you’d be broke before drunk if you only drank proper craft beer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I resemble that remark . Load of tosh . 75,000 bottles of beer sold last year . 25,000 to Tesco to the exact same recipe as the 50,000. Its also pretty close to the draught version as its sterile filtered and carbonated to 1.8Vols , so its fizzy enough but not like Fosters levels.

Calm down, there was a “probably” in there. Which I think is justified when you look at the average supermarket shelf and probably 90% of the brands are owned by one or two companies.

Lidl take that one step further, with loads of Shepherds Neame beers that you never see anywhere else, and are all watery tasteless crap, presumably brewed because Lidl wanted beer at a certain price*. And they’re not the only ones. A local brewery had one in wetherspoons nationally, again it was a watery, under-hopped imitation of their normal brews even when served from a cask at the brewery.

*Or maybe the other way around, Lidl buying up cheap beers.

This is only practical/affordable up to a point. A bottle of ipa or export stout from my local brewery is £3.99 from the offie. Compared with £4.99 for four of the aforementioned Lidl beers. The artisanal, hand crafted, kiln dried, titanium and carbon fibre beer is lovely and luckily I’m friends with one of the brewers but you’d be broke before drunk if you only drank proper craft beer.

True, but equally you could just forgo the cheap beers and have one nice one saving yourself £1 for pork scratchings (and not being hungover the next day).

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Of the entire Lidl craft beer range Reverend James Ale is the best seller then golden goose followed closely by green gecko.

scaredypants

are you saying that purple panther porter is a poorly performing product ?

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good stout that I can order online from a local brewery?

CountZero

scaredypants – Member
    are you saying that purple panther porter is a poorly performing product ?

Wins Internet prize for best alliterative post of the day.
    Well done that man!

barnaclebill
    Free Member

Hatherwood Amber Adder; CAMRA rave about it!

spud-face

bigblackheinoustoe – Member

Can anyone recommend a good stout that I can order online from a local brewery?

Pow!

http://www.sadlersales.co.uk/products/mud-city-stout

nostoc
    Free Member

My local B+M has bottles of Mud City for £1.69 IIRC
    And very fine it is.

jimjam
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon

True, but equally you could just forgo the cheap beers and have one nice one saving yourself £1 for pork scratchings (and not being hungover the next day).

Well as I said, this Lidl dubbel bruin is pretty nice and doesn’t give me a hangover. It’s not as nice as Gulden Draak but then again it’s £1.20 a bottle as opposed to £10 and the fancier beer isn’t eight times nicer.

It’s all subjective of course.

cloudnine
    Free Member

They did a box of 6 belgian beers last november for a tenner.. had a great selection of dubel and tripples in it all around the 10% range..

The purple panther aint too bad. Pretty sure they had large bottles of leffe in my local one last time i was in

nostoc
    Free Member

Lidl sometimes does Gulden Draak (the dark triple and the quadruple) as part of the Belgian beer selection pack (10.49 for 6 x 330ml)
    I haven’t seen this dubbel bruin stuff in my local
    (edit, beaten to it)

chakaping
    Free Member

The Green Gecko is lovely stuff, quite like the Amber Adder too. They have some nice local ones on offer as well now and then.

TBH though, this is a bit like “Halfords superstore opening 1/ mile away in 2 weeks, Whats the decent £100 bike”

TBH it’s not really.

CheesybeanZ

Really enjoying thier Purple Panther porter , the amber adder is good – needs to be really cold for me tho .

jimjam
    Free Member

nostoc

Lidl sometimes does Gulden Draak (the dark triple and the quadruple) as part of the Belgian beer selection pack (10.49 for 6 x 330ml)

Well now I don’t know who to be angriest at, my local Lidl who don’t stock that or my artisinal offie who are £9+ a bottle for Gulden Draak.

nostoc
    Free Member

Keep you eyes open. They usually have them in round about June but they did them this winter as well. And they were £8.49 before the referendum, but they sold out quick.

DezB
    Free Member

I really like their beers that have the numbers n the tops. Probably already slagged up there^^, but they’re good enough for me.

welshfarmer

Shameless plug time….

A regular poster on here (though he has been busy moving premises lately) and Wednesday evening ride buddy, runs a nice craft beer shop just over the pass in Hay on Wye

Homepage

Just started doing mail order too if anything takes your fancy

aroyalnit
    Free Member

trail_rat

Strangely as does deeside brewery’s stuff.

Yet I can drink a fair scoop of the other local brewery’s(brewdog) stuff without batting an eyelid…..

Would it surprise you Deeside doesn’t actually brew their stuff locally (or actually, I think, in Scotland)? I think they do their R&D here, but past that…

trail_rat
    Free Member

It wouldn’t.

The youngish guy from deeside breweries that died a couple years ago was a mate’s uncle.

Wanted to like it but didn’t.

nostoc
    Free Member

From this Thursday Lidl will have the Van Steenberg six packs for 10.99 (Piraat, Bournem, Guilden Draak) plus some other Belgian things.

ads678

re the wheat beer comment up there, lidl do the Blanche de namur which is a nice wheat beer. Belgian not German though. Sort of fake hoegarden I think.

scud
    Free Member

If you’re looking for half-decent Supermarket beers, Morrisons have just started doing two of the Northern Monk IPAs, both of which are really good especially the lower ABV session beer

pictonroad

Lidl take that one step further, with loads of Shepherds Neame beers that you never see anywhere else, and are all watery tasteless crap, presumably brewed because Lidl wanted beer at a certain price*. And they’re not the only ones. A local brewery had one in wetherspoons nationally, again it was a watery, under-hopped imitation of their normal brews even when served from a cask at the brewery.

*Or maybe the other way around, Lidl buying up cheap beers.

IS this a fact or an internet rumour?

DezB
    Free Member

Old bumped thread revival, so won’t join old discussion about the whys and wherefores, but for 89p and pint, Golden Goose (whoever brews it!) is sorted.

peteimpreza

“Can anyone recommend a good stout that I can order online from a local brewery? “

Big Cat 12X500ML

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Lidl Beer’ is closed to new replies.