Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lichfield routes? (not the chase)
  • MrNice
    Free Member

I’m going to be in Lichfield at the parents the next day or two. How long I stay depends on whether I can get out for a ride. The road bike is currently in bits while I belatedly fit mudguards so I’m looking for an mtb route.

I found this thread linking to this route

Anywhere else I should consider?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Hopwas is deffinatly worth a punt. It is no Cannock chase but it will kill a couple of hours. If you go there via the back of the golf course I think there is a trail that runs all the way there. Sutton park is close as well but loads of dog walkers to contend with. Bentley woods are worth a look. Jump on the canal and go through Tamworth and all the way to Grendon, jump off at spon lane, climb boothill and Bentley woods are at the top. Loads of stuff to play with up there.

Karl33to
    Free Member

I live right under the start and finish point of that ride and nearly always head straight to Cannock.
    Very occasionally I’ll head to Sutton Park instead, but you get a lot of walkers round there.
    I’d considered rising to Hopwas before, but it’s just to small to be worth the bother, and could well be a mud fest this time of year.

rOcKeTdOg

Get on the train to Barnt green if you like mud, roots and cake

emac65
    Free Member

I’d ride through the Abnalls & make my way to Castle Ring.Couple of half decent pubs(park gate & the windmill) by it too for a bite to eat…

MrNice
    Free Member

Mud is a good point: my memories of hopwas as a kid are of vast bogs that swallowed your wellies. Barnt Green may need to wait for next time but looks like a plan for 2014. I think I’m remembering why childhood holidays were spent driving to the peak.

Thanks everyone, I figured that the chase was probably the best bet on the Lichfield side of Brum but thought I should ask.

takisawa2

Lichfield Loop

Be warned, it will be muddy. 😕

If you loop off the bridleway before Hopwas there is a cafe at Packington, also a McDonald’s at Wall island.
    To be fair, the Chase will be no different.

ASC
    Free Member

That CR recommendation is just plain cruel after the recent rainfall Eamonn, Unless you’re saying just ride to the pubs…in which case I like it!

oli82
    Free Member

There’s quite a bit of fun stuff in Hopwas if you just follow your nose. Was out in there *before* all the rain and it was gloopy in places, I imagine the whole lot is now!

emac65
    Free Member

That CR recommendation is just plain cruel after the recent rainfall Eamonn, Unless you’re saying just ride to the pubs…in which case I like it!

I beg to differ Ade,it’s always muddy there regardless of recent rainfall……… 8)

MrNice
    Free Member

A map showing Sloppy Wood probably gives a fair idea what to expect at this time of year 🙁

robowns
    Free Member

I live 5 mins ride from Bentley Woods, I enjoy it for a local ride, hardly worth travelling too unfortunately.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lichfield routes? (not the chase)’ is closed to new replies.