Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Libor traders cleared
  • Pigface
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35428279

So one guy gets thrown under the bus and the rest walk, or have I read that wrong?

holst
    Free Member

Prosecutors had said the brokers conspired to rig the rate in exchange for treats such as takeaway curries and drinks.

I always assumed bankers earned enough to buy takeaway curry if they felt like one. See, if I was going to pull a stunt like that, I’d ask to get paid in something expensive.

DaRC_L

So one fall-guy gets thrown under the bus

The one with few social skills who was persuaded by the culture around him…
    then big business claps the others on the back and goes back to rigging the prices of money, oil etc….

jimdubleyou

IIRC, there are 11 cases, so 4 left.

if I was going to pull a stunt like that,

The trouble is, it wasn’t seen as a stunt, it was seen as “normal”.

Giving banks the tools to set Libor has always seemed a bit like letting an alcoholic look after your pub to me.

holst
    Free Member

The trouble is, it wasn’t seen as a stunt, it was seen as “normal”.

Sure, but a takeaway curry, FFS.

Klunk
    Free Member

from my experience on an jury in financial conspiracy case, conspiracy to defraud is a tough one to prove for the prosecution. The case’s are long tedious and very technical, and some jurors to be blunt can be a bit thick. Maybe there’s a case to be made to have some of these as Judge only affairs.

Fantombiker

Well,if individuals are not held accountable, then it should pave the way for lawsuits by American banks against the institutions concerned…at least I very much hope so….

footflaps

Sure, but a takeaway curry, FFS.

I’d have wanted a Porsche at least, and not just the base model with the AM radio….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and some jurors to be blunt can be a bit thick.

they are supposed to be representative of the general public, so I would think that a few of them might be thick, most of them ignorant and some might even turn up to court in their pajamas.

footflaps

I would hope that roughly half have below average intelligence 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

the trouble with being a bit thick in a highly technical case is anything you don’t understand ends up as “reasonable doubt”.

mike_p
    Free Member

The problem with long cases like that is that jury service is only up to two weeks, any longer and the smarter jurors will talk their way out of doing it due to “other pressing commitments” (quite easily done). So the trial will end up with a bunch of dullards, possibly with the odd retiree who might be a bit smarter but he (or she…) will be ploughing a lone furrow.

They are all guilty as f***

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Libor traders cleared’ is closed to new replies.