Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • Liberal Democrats, can they stop Brexit?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

This isn’t a question of whether they can win but a question of, if they did win, can they legally stop Brexit now? They seem to be putting all their eggs in one basket.

theotherjonv

There is no precedent; if they got voted in on a manifesto of brexin then I’d assume that the R27 nations would be relatively happy to tear the letter up and consider the last year a bad dream.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

No

seosamh77
    Free Member

the ref wasn’t legally binding, so technically yes they can. The treaties say nothing about changing your mind one A50 triggers. So technically they could.

in reality, englandshire has gone full tory and full brexit, so not a hope in hell.

igm

Legally probably doesn’t matter.

Like tojv says if we say sorry about that as you were the rest of the EU would probably say ok just don’t do it again.

Of course a few more weeks of May-isms, Fox-yous, deviant-Davis and Boris Johnson and they might think twice about calling off Brexit – there’s only so much aggression the other 27 will take.

unklehomered
    Free Member

in reality, englandshire has gone full tory and full brexit, so not a hope in hell.

Their tactic of negotiating and taking us to the very edge may be the best plan.

piemonster

Yeh, wot he said

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Lib Dems never gonna come close to being in power.

Edited to say, just read again about it being hypothetical.

So in theory, yes they could stop it I think.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The best chance of avoiding Brexit now is a Labour lib-dem / SNP coalition. Maybe even Plaid.

To win power Labour would have no problem jumping in with SNP and would accept a 2nd referendum to avoid a 2nd Scottish referendum. My prospective Labour MP *promised* me the night before last when she came knocking for votes that if Labour win they will propose a version of Brexit that’s materially the same as the relationship we have now, bar the fact we won’t have any MEPs which seems sad, but as most of the things the hardcore Brexit crowd damand we already have, why not.

chewkw
    Free Member

Lib-dem would have to send in the storm troopers to hammer the population if they want to do a U-turn and have it their way … 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

I honestly think that if the referendum was re-run now, it would be quite a significant win for remain. I doubt anyone would be protesting if the government threw out Brexit.

slowoldman

I believe it could be stopped if the other member states were happy to along with it.

chewkw
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    I honestly think that if the referendum was re-run now, it would be quite a significant win for remain. I doubt anyone would be protesting if the government threw out Brexit.

You will never get that chance again. 😆

slowoldman – Member
    I believe it could be stopped if the other member states were happy to along with it.

Through violence and force? 😯

nick1962
    Free Member

From the BBC news website

But European Council President Donald Tusk has said that he believes Article 50 can be reversed.

When asked if the UK could unilaterally withdraw its Article 50 notification during the next two years, he said, “Formally, legally, yes.”

Lord Kerr – the former British ambassador to the EU, who helped draft Article 50 – agreed.

“You can change your mind while the process is going on,” he said.

He acknowledged that this might annoy the rest of the EU, and be seen as a huge waste of time

iffoverload
    Free Member

Yes, why not?

And the Tories are shitting bricks because the majority is fed up of their lies.

The only wasted vote is voting for more of the same again. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

devash
    Free Member

My prospective Labour MP *promised* me the night before last when she came knocking for votes that if Labour win they will propose a version of Brexit that’s materially the same as the relationship we have now, bar the fact we won’t have any MEPs which seems sad

I think this is the best option to avert total economic and constitutional catastrophe.

graemecsl
    Free Member

The Lib Dems are an irrelevance, I wasted votes on them all my life not realising they were just a haven for PPE graduates looking for a job, with no convictions other than getting on the political gravy train, culminating in that total waste of space Clegg.

As to could they? Unlikely and if any of the thinking I hear, if they re ran the referendum, 68% now want out as a result of all the threats and coercion coming from Brussels.

So no, my opinion is not, they are just a wasted vote more now than ever before.

mattyfez

I’m sure Europe would allow a UTurn, but 50% of the British electorate wouldn’t.

The libs are being quite intelligent and sensitive about it.
    They’ve said that the UK voted for a departure and not a destination.

Basically another referendum will be held on the final proposal, if it’s Really damaging which it probably will be, there will be an opportunity to vote ‘well that was all a bit silly wasn’t it’.

Then that would open the door to say to Europe, yeh we thought about this properly and don’t want to do that anymore’.

I’m pretty sure the response from the EU would be, cool, glad you came to your senses.

The lib dems seem to have rulled out any coalition though, I guess they are still burned from the university fees fiasco, which was a tory policy and they were a minority in the lib tory coalition, and they seemed to take all the flack for it, even from thier own supporters.

In my view that’s very narrow minded, they kept the torys in check for the most part and did an incredible job, but something had to give, given thier secondary status in the coalition.

slowoldman

Through violence and force?

No, we wouldn’t need to fight for it.

kimbers

now that inflation caused by brexit is outstripping wage growth
    5p a litre a petrol thanks to the referendum etc

youd think that yes itd be possible

lib/lab coalition , could pull it off

with a tory win looking likely the only chance is that we crash out with a hard brexit and it goes tits up sooner rather than later

of course the ardcore brexies wouldnt be happy but importantly by 2019 1.5 million of the older ones wouldve popped their cloggs by then.

I know a lot of them, including some on here, are bitterly dissapointed that the GREAT Britain leaving the EU hasnt caused everyone else to jump ship after all

gordimhor

P-Jay can’t see your idea of a coalition working firstly I think Tories and media have managed to make the SNP toxic for a lot of people in England. Second the one thing that the SNP would insist on as part of any deal would be a referendum on independence.

chewkw
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    I’m sure Europe would allow a UTurn, …

Of course they would allow (actually they encourage their stooges) coz they are shite stirrer and trouble makers where nothing is to low to cause a split in order to have it their way. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

I doubt anyone would be protesting if the government threw out Brexit.

pretty sure a lot would -UKIP, jamby and chewkw to name a few – boris who knows 😉

i think a re run vote would be close either way but legally yes the govt could do it.

rene59
    Free Member

To win power Labour would have no problem jumping in with SNP

Labour would never join a coalition with the SNP. They wouldn’t even consider it, not for a second, such is their hatred for the SNP.

seosamh77
    Free Member

doubt the SNP would go into “official” coalition either. Not to say that some other arrangement couldn’t work, but i doubt you’ll be seeing alex salmond or angus robertson as vice pm.

slowoldman

i think a re run vote would be close either way but legally yes the govt could do it.

and legally ignore the result – as they could have done with the first one.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I hear, if they re ran the referendum, 68% now want out as a result of all the threats and coercion coming from Brussels. bullshit being pedaled by the press

mattyfez

pretty sure a lot would -UKIP, jamby and chewkw to name a few – boris who knows

One things for sure, May would change her stance to reflect popular opinion as she does not seem to have one of her own.

That’s what disturbs me most about her, she’s a career politician interested in enriching herself before anything else, and that’s the worst kind of person to have as a prime minister.

CountZero

5p a litre a petrol thanks to the referendum etc

Is that the 5p/litre cut in the last week or so?
    OPEC have just decided to limit production due the the falling cost, but the dollar has just nose-dived, and oil is priced in dollars, so prices could still fall.
    Wanna still put the blame on Brexit for outside influences?
    You seem to be missing the period before the referendum when fuel costs were running up around £1.50-55, if not higher, £2.00/litre was being bandied around, it’s £1.18 for diesel locally at the moment.

mattyfez

Fuel cost issues are short termism.

That’s the problem with UK politics, they seem to be snowblind to anything that might happen in 10, 20 or 50 years which is still short term in my book.

It’s a big concern for me, they are supposed to be running a country, and looking after peoples future’s.

I’m not seeing any strategy from the Conservatives.

newrobdob
    Free Member

A lot of people who voted out are at the bottom end of society anyway, they’ve never had any money so an promise of “things will be better if we change our minds and stay in” wont be enough to counter the incandescent rage a change of mind would provoke.

Change the decision and you’d better be ready for that sector to take to the streets. They don’t care about your multinational trade, tariff free zones, open borders and skills transfers, they just want their decision to be honoured. Sick of being talked down to, neglected and forgotten about, they’ll not back down this time.

mattyfez

I’m not sure I agree with that.

I think some people have actually woken up, however there are die hards who hate Europe for reasons that don’t exist or they cannot explain.

If we do leave with theresea, they’ll still blame Europe even though they voted to remove thier own rights and working regulations.

I’m not sure how that can be remedied.. Horse to water and all that.

It’s very sad.

chewkw
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member

pretty sure a lot would -UKIP, jamby and chewkw to name a few – boris who knows

One things for sure, May would change her stance to reflect popular opinion as she does not seem to have one of her own.[/quote]

You might as well say you are the govt now going by the reasoning provided by you lot.

You might as well claim to be the master of the universe … 😆

That’s what disturbs me most about her, she’s a career politician interested in enriching herself before anything else, and that’s the worst kind of person to have as a prime minister.

Have you just convinced yourself? 😆

mattyfez

Define ‘you lot’?

Are you referring to approximately 50% of people, the one’s that actually think critically as opposed to forming opinions based on reading tabloid headlines?

El-bent
    Free Member

You will never get that chance again.

This country is supposedly a democracy, so the chance will come again and again.

Make no mistake we will return.

chewkw
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    Define ‘you lot’?

Are you referring to approximately 50% of people, the one’s that actually think critically as opposed to reading tabloid headlines?

The ones that are opposing the govt.

You (EU bureaucrats supporters) can think critically? That’s new coz I thought you (EU bureaucrats supporters) follow everything EU bureaucrats dictate to you (supporters). Yes? 😆

iffoverload
    Free Member

You “wasted” your vote on Lib/Dems?

Is it because you are betting on who will win with your vote or supporting their policies but you actually disagree with them.. 😕

Voting for the side you think is likely to have the best chance of winning is ridiculous. What can you possibly gain?

Vote for the policies you think are best, otherwise you may as well not bother using your vote…

chewkw
    Free Member

El-bent – Member

You will never get that chance again.

This country is supposedly a democracy, so the chance will come again and again.
    Make no mistake we will return. [/quote]
    Okay okay I hear you, you will have your chance again … 😛

But in the meantime can you (EU bureaucrats supporters) not let us celebrate, enjoy and savor the moment for few generations to come … 😆

You are even invited to the joyous celebration and happiness for all. :mrgreen:

mattyfez

I don’t think anyone is claiming the EU system is perfect.

But it’s a God damn utopia compared to the alternative.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Liberal Democrats, can they stop Brexit?’ is closed to new replies.