Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Lib Dems
  • bencooper
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that the “Yes” voters in Scotland are preying for this to happen.

Not really. But we don’t see why we should vote Labour – the two-faced Labour that told us with a straight face that the NHS was safe with Westminster, then turned around and said we had to vote Labour to save the NHS.

Yet again Scots are being asked to vote Labour to save the UK from the Tories/UKIP.

binners

Not just you Ben. They’re telling the north to use their default labour vote too, and not flirt with other parties, and everything will be ok.

With every passing election, it just becomes more and more hollow, and meaningless

John Harris compared being a traditional labour voter to a women who stays in an abusive relationship. You”re ignored, at best, or actively abused, but then every 5 years he tells you that he really really cares, that he loves you really, that you’ll be better off staying with him, that he’ll change….

When all we end is more neo-liberal, London-centric Tory-lite policies. The same policies, on behalf of the same vested interests, they just wring their hands as they do it, and don’t look like they’re enjoying it as much as the Tories clearly are.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It can equally said about LD voters now. Their entire election strategy will revolve around’ Yes it’s been grim, but without us it would’ve been far worse…’

It won’t wash of course, and Clegg should’ve realised the fact when he got into bed with the Tories. So now, rather than be seen as heroes who did their best under the circumstances to work in a confidence and supply arrangement with the Tories for the good of the nation, but the Cons just couldn’t be kept under control… they find themselves skillfully manipulated into being the fall guy to take the brunt of the public’s anger come Polling Day.

Yes, well done Nick! Now eat it up; you deserve all of what you’ll get.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

It can equally said about LD voters now. Their entire election strategy will revolve around’ Yes it’s been grim, but without us it would’ve been far worse…’

Pretty true.

NB I’ll be voting LD at the next election.

wilburt
    Free Member

Ill be going for the Lib Dems…probably.

Lets look at the options:

Labour- almost excluded becuase the leader looks like the kid that got bullied at school but even after that he seems to have surrounded himself with incompetent career yes men.
    Conservative- Bunch of corrupt ****.
    UKIP- The bigot from the golf club.
    Greens- Unfortunatly still unelectable.

Leaving Lib dems as the only ones making realistic noises about sustainable energy and with good intent on most issues. The last few years may even have given them some realism.

smartay

glad to see people have a view on this

I just find it incredible that their core manifesto promise was completely abandoned, and its when it is brought up its “like its all in the past, move on”
    the thing is my eldest “child” who is in her third year on university is now saddled with a debt for most of her working life, and more embarrassingly I voted for them on this pledge.
    Thank god her debt will be less than English students
    Poor old Gordon B, who advised him with ” I agree with Nick” on those debates. Mr Brown is a bear of aman and should have used this during his campaign
    I believe that in the discussions after the election the Tories offered Mr Clegg deputies job whilst Labour offered nothing, no wonder they joined the tories
    So back to a two party system, or three here in Wales

So what are the odds on a Sir Nick after the election then

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I think anyone still supporting the LDs after the last five years is suffering a severe case of http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

MrWoppit
    Free Member

yes but tuition fees is massive

Clearly, you haven’t been able to afford any.

edhornby

I can’t see which bits of tory excess they have curbed ?

NHS still being privatised, Grayling privatisation of the social care sector, economy still unresolved (all parties sticking fingers in ears on that one), bent over on tuition fees, nothing to show for voting reforms etc, press regulation didn’t happen and murdoch still a malevolent force, teachers conditions still not improving, bedroom tax and vilification of the poor..

so where have they had meaningful input ???

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Labour offered nothing

and still do 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Their entire election strategy will revolve around’ Yes it’s been grim, but without us it would’ve been far worse…’

True and they have a point

I could not vote for them though as what you get is a roll of the dice in terms of who they prop up and what they will deliver.

The one thing you do know is it will have **** all to do with their manifesto or principle.

chewkw
    Free Member

I voted for the Liberals (I like to call them that because they sound like they are above you) when Paddy the SAS bloke was the leader of the party but not after that.

They now want to play the King/Queen maker … 😯

footflaps

so where have they had meaningful input ???

If we’d have had a full blown Tory majority we’d have had slavery re-introduced, the poor house brought back and exemption from all criminal offences for anyone earning over £1m….

*possibly….

ahwiles
    Free Member

devash – Member
    …responsibility for saddling the future generation with crippling debt.

the debt is far from crippling, and thanks to the Lib dems and their U-turn, it costs each graduate £50/month LESS than before.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IMO, people, are overly harsh in their judgement of the LDs. We have v little recent experience of coalition governments and two parties have had to make a fist of a difficulty task made harder by the fact that they differ widely on many policy issues. But on the whole, they have done a pretty good job. Yes they have made mistakes but on balance a 6 or 7/10. And that includes dealing with Uncle Vince in their midst – as destructive as KP but without the talent.

There is plenty to be cynical about – and they now have to ask themselves if the grab for power was worth it. But there is a massive difference between being a minority opposition party and one who had to actually make the tough decisions especially dealing with the slow emergence from recession and excessive levels of debt. In power, they have executed reasonably well given he awkward bedfellows. Perhaps they and others will learn the difference between being in government and in opposition. The latter is much easier than the former.

Dreadful ties and logos though! And they spent money on image consultants

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Given that these are politicians we are talking about I really don’t get why so many are so vexed about the Lib Dem “u-turns”. It is a coalition govt and that tends to mean neither side gets to do all that they want. It may well be that the Lib Dems when in more detailed discussions about the tuition fees decided that on balance their preferred approach was unworkable. Who knows. But to throw your toys out of the pram over that seems rather small minded and perhaps the Lib Dems would be better off without your vote. In the same way that blanket statements such as the Tories being corrupt makes me remember that this is, of course, STW where the trolling never stops. That and the rather irrational frothing of the left leaning members. 😆

footflaps

blanket statements such as the Tories being corrupt

You mean just not exclusively, other parties have dabbled as well…….

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Always worth a chuckle:
    http://whatthehellhavethelibdemsdone.com

Trying to dig an article out on politics.co.uk too that goes into a lot of the stuff the LDs have done to soften policies the Tories were pushing through.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I voted for the Liberals (I like to call them that because they sound like they are above you) when Paddy the SAS bloke was the leader of the party but not after that.

<pedant> Ashdown was SBS. </pedant>

chewkw
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

<pedant> Ashdown was SBS. </pedant>

😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

I really don’t get why so many are so vexed about the Lib Dem “u-turns

Its was so soon into power and it showed them to be the same as all the rest
    I also think it was the most severe reversal of a cast iron pledge I have ever seen [ and in such a short period of time]. It was the worst example
    Couple this to their stated economic pledge re cuts and then reversing that and they looked like they were [ because they were] voting for things they had just campaigned against. It is hard to spin that as positive though some of you are trying to do so.

FWIW i agree they get more grieve but I also think they sold out way more than any other

where the trolling never stops. That and the rather irrational frothing of the left leaning members

You are an example to us all of in how to avoid trolling 🙄

IMHO that is so much more STW; moan about something then immediately do it

llama

I thought 4.5 years ago that they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don’t think it has worked out nearly as good as they hoped. Completely bodged up electoral reform, which I suspect was what they held out on at the expense of other things such as tuition fees. Now there is a situation where the Tories claim credit for any possible good news and the libs are facing big losses. Still, hindsight is a wonderful thing, I suppose they can argue Clegg bent over and took one for the good of the country.

I guess we’ll never know but even if they reigned in a small amount of May’s authoritarian leanings or Gove’s return to the 50’s education policies then maybe it’s worth it.

(a wavering lib dem supporter)

footflaps

Gove’s return to the 50’s education policies

Don’t make him sound like a modernist, his ideas are positively Victorian!

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

You are an example to us all of in how to avoid trolling

IMHO that is so much more STW; moan about something then immediately do it

I think you may have missed my smiley. I tried to use a bigger one so that it was obvious that the last part was tongue in cheek. Obviously not a big enough one. Lets try this 🙂 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

Labour Jack Straw Tony Blair up to their elbows in torture and military adventurism. Brown fiscal stupidity.
    Conservatives privatisation of NHS assault on the liberty of the citizen, treating taxes as a cash cow for international non taxpaying corporations, total breakdown of the criminal justice system, mad authoritarian May and frankly dishonest Grayling.
    UKIP racist and incompetent .
    Green idealistic principled unelectable.

So still voting Lib Dem, they may well have moderated the Tories worst excesses and in an age when people are being financially penalised for having one two many rooms in the only house available for them and Dangerous offenders are being monitored by private companies cutting supervision to a minimum ,I can’t get that worked up by students paying for their higher education .

I do think they blew it by not actually pulling out of the coalition and triggering an election earlier but that is the danger with modern career politicians they view it as a job not a public duty and so go for job security not points of principal .

footflaps

I can’t get that worked up by students paying for their higher education .

Same here. If you need a degree for your career then odds are you’ll have higher lifetime earnings and be able to pay (some of it) back, if you don’t need a degree for your career WTF are you going to University. The right to spend 3-4 years smoking dope and listening to The Doors for free is not one I’ll be defending. Plus I hated The Doors.

wilburt
    Free Member

Difficult to know what’s trolling and what’s not, on balance “the Tories are as honest as the day is long” is probably more inflammatory to more people than “the Tories are a bunch of corrupt ****”.

Either statement could perhaps be delivered with more subtility but that would require a university degree education beyond my means.
    (And one statement correct).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Who do you reckon came up with the tag line “Winning here” on the LD posters? At least they have kept their sense of humour in all this.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

All parties have made a U turn on something at some point……

In the case of election pledges that is simply not true.

I’m not completely certain about the Tories but I don’t know of one single case in which Labour have made a firm election pledge, as the LibDems did on tuition fees, where they went on to preform a complete U-turn on the pledge, as the LibDems have.

Perhaps you can think of a few footflaps ? And btw we are talking about “pledges” …….. solemn and binding promises.

Of course not all pledges have been delivered on 100%, some despite best intentions haven’t quite hit their target 100% but I cannot think of one single case where, the Labour Party at least, has made a firm election pledge and then deliberately did the complete opposite to what they pledged to do, as the LibDems have.

The LibDems as the result of their deliberate actions have further significantly discredited British politics.

And this btw is the party which produced this video before the last election.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTLR8R9JXz4[/video]

footflaps – Member

Personally I think we send too many people to university to do pointless degrees which just wastes money, so it’s not something I’d hold against them….

Whether the pledge was a good idea or not is completely irrelevant. It was made and some people will have voted on the basis of that pledge, that after all was the whole intention behind the high level publicity that the LibDems chose to attach to it.

All debate concerning whether the policy was a good one or not ceased at this point :

To happily accept the huge abuse of trust committed by the LibDems simply helps increase the disreputable character of British politics. It is only by people demanding higher integrity from politicians that we can expect less disreputable behaviour. Otherwise we only have ourselves blame.

If you want British politics to improve rather than deteriorate then don’t reward dishonesty.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not completely certain about the Tories but I don’t know of one single case in which Labour have made a firm election pledge, as the LibDems did on tuition fees, where they went on to preform a complete U-turn on the pledge, as the LibDems have

10p tax rate?. Granted, it took a few years, but ‘good old Gordon’ brought it in, then whipped it away.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The 10p tax rate was not an election pledge.

Here are all the election pledges made by Labour 1997-2005 :

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/domestic_politics/factcheck+labours+election+pledge+cards/507807.html

Some provide a clear commitment to achieve specific targets while others are vague. I can’t see a single example where Labour has deliberately done the complete opposite to what they pledged to do. As the LibDems have.

ahwiles
    Free Member

and yet, by breaking their promise, they reduced the amount graduates have to pay by £600/year.

the stinkers!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If you want British politics to improve rather than deteriorate then don’t reward dishonesty.

Are you suggesting we don’t vote?

footflaps

To happily accept the huge abuse of trust committed by the LibDems simply helps increase the disreputable character of British politics.

Or you could just be pragmatic and vote for whichever party best fits your aims (as none will ever match them 100%) and accept that not everything goes to plan.

Although you are welcome to take this betrayal with you to the grave as that is your prerogative 😉

binners

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Does Cleggis GAF anymore? He gives all the impression of a guy who has come to terms with his position and is now in a slightly euphoric state. The LDs are going to get wiped in the next election. There is a vague idea that they could just hold the balance of power but even that looks tenuous. All this is known now.

So he has made it to a place that most LDs can only dream about, he has enjoyed (?) the trappings of power and from 2015, pastures new. He is in the acceptance phase and seemingly more relaxed as a result.

binners

He’ll do a Mandleson, and swan off back to Europe as the Commissioner for something-or-other. Brussels is his spiritual home anyway.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Of course he is unworried; he’s got a seat in the Lords to look forward to.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sure, next thing will be he won’t even bother dressing up anymore. Oh, wait a sec……Cleggy in his jeans!!!!

konabunny
    Free Member

I really don’t understand why people still insist on bringing it up

It wouldn’t have happened without the Lib Dems’ votes and the Lib Dems promised to vote against it. That’s why people bring it up.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Lib Dems’ is closed to new replies.