• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • LHD 71 VW Campervan- really hard to find gears
  • hora
    Free Member

Getting into first, The often try setting off and it’ll actually be in third. New to my boss and its just had a new clutch cable.

Needs a synchromesh???

Declutching doesnt help. Once going its fine/pulls well etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

71 – ill be surprised if first gear has a synchromesh

trail_rat
    Free Member

A quick google reveals that just like an lt 75 you need to set up the stop plate and detent springs correctly other wise a common issue is hard to get first gear without first goin through the rest of the range.

lasty
    Free Member

Having owned one of these fine examples of German engineering for 20+ years it can be like stirring porridge until you get the Knack 8)

Mines the same – the trick is to slip it into second and dont even try for 1st until you`re stationary then its feather the clutch and tickle the revs whilst pushing for 1st.Comes naturally after a while ….
    When stationary I often have to slip it into 3rd and across the gate to get 1st. This is OLD technology – drive it like a modern car and you`re fecked .
    If mechanical issues are suspect could be worn linkage bushes or selector plate adjustment.

hora
    Free Member

Ah. Will try tomorrow. I kept on setting off in 3rd (queue lid of sink behind me frapping away with the vibrations) and me cringing at the potential harm.

Funny thing is NO ONE went to overtake. Even though there was lots of room. They just patiently queued 🙂

lasty
    Free Member

Ohhh – and swearing will get him nowhere – gotta talk nice to the old dear … 🙄

allthegear
    Free Member

Being LHD the stick will be on the other side – that’s why he’s having trouble changing gears. Ask him to look on the other side. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Him? Sexist pigs! 🙂 my boss is a she.

lasty
    Free Member

^^^ Welllllll – Explains everything….

sorry … 😳

VanHalen

Gear linkage bushings. Its a mechanical linkage and the bushings are white plastic. Made a world of difference to mine. Still need the ‘knack’ though. always found the gears ok. Once you work out the point on the dash to aim for.

Keef
    Free Member

wot VH sed.
    new linkage bush kit,fitted and re set up correctly.that will be as good as it will ever be.

lasty
    Free Member

^^^^ Which aint that good TBH … 😀

pictonroad

When you find it push your index finger out and put a mark on the dash, this training aid will help until it becomes second nature. 😀

hora
    Free Member

New linkage/bush kit n setup… what sort of ballpark figure??

spectabilis
    Free Member

Stick a short throw lever in it ,like a scat ,EMPI or Gene Berg, so much better than the porridge spoon…

unovolo
    Free Member

Him? Sexist pigs! my boss is a she.

So maybe grabbing the wrong knob with her left hand 😯

hora
    Free Member

Update- 50quid later and its spot on 🙂

Cheers.

ANOTHER question- the chappy mentioned its running abit rich (smells strongly of petrol). Is there an easy mod/fix?

wwaswas

there’s normally a screw on the carbs to adjust the mixture but, tbh, I’d let a professional do it and go for a full ‘home tune’ type thing where they check everything including timing, HT leads, points etc as it works as a system and it may be running rich due to poor ignition not burning all the fuel.

lasty
    Free Member

Smelling strongly of petrol = not good…
    Get it checked out by a known VW aircooled garage as a modern garage wouldn’t know where to start. Strong petrol smell usually means a leak in the system, anything from a sticking float to a knackered bulkhead grommet allowing the fuel pipe to rub through – not good and needs sorting.
    Service would be a good place to start though and get them to check the fuel line/carb(s) for leaks.

Mister-P
    Free Member

You have a female boss with an early bay camper? Is she single?

My 1965 Beetle refuses to go into 1st unless stationary. It is just one of the charms of driving a vehicle that being “Deluxe” means you get a bit of chrome trim compared to the standard model.

hora
    Free Member

Smelling strongly of petrol = not good…
    Get it checked out by a known VW aircooled garage as a modern garage wouldn’t know where to start. Strong petrol smell usually means a leak in the system, anything from a sticking float to a knackered bulkhead grommet allowing the fuel pipe to rub through – not good and needs sorting.
    Service would be a good place to start though and get them to check the fuel line/carb(s) for leaks.

Totally agree

You have a female boss with an early bay camper? Is she single?

Shes lovely/a looker (not my type though).

VanHalen

i`m not worried about the boss – whats the van like? 8)

petrol smells –

possibles-
    fuel tank breather pipes
    fuel feed lines (especially if that are externally braided as you cant see how shot they are – basically get normal fuel lines asap i had petrol spewing all over my engine once which was super scary – i knocked a braided line accidentally!)
    running a bit rich – carb needs a tune.
    spark pulgs/timing out – not burning efficiently (does it run ok? or a bit ‘lumpy’? ) is it sluggish – well, ok, even more sluggish than you think it ought to be!

it all depends on where the smell is and how bad it is. backfires and flames from the exhaust on overrun are not uncommon!

on what sort of engine/carb(s)? i`ve not much experience of dual carbs but its supposed to be better but more faff to set up.

glad the shifter prob is sorted – its v-frustrating.

best thing i did on my van was fit a pertronics electronic points kit. saves all the pissing about with the points in the distributer cap which i found nearly impossible to set right. it was a joy after that and ran so much better as its amazing how much bad point adjustment affected the running of the engine.

conkers
    Free Member

You weren’t on the a4177 merrily backfiring away while trying to keep momentum up the hills behind a BMW doing 39.7 sunday evening? Just enough speed to have to use 3rd at the top of the rev range but not fast enough to use 4th.

lasty
    Free Member

+1 for the PETRONIX electronic ignition – best £50 I spent, fit and forget 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

Petronix here too. No more fiddling with points.

globalti
    Free Member

The points on my Dad’s VW camper used to be a constant nightmare and cleaning them always brought a big improvement in smoothness. Wish we’d had electronic ignition in the seventies.

hora
    Free Member

Morning, any ideas on where to find replacement windscreen wipers? I doubt its something Halfords stock?!!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘LHD 71 VW Campervan- really hard to find gears’ is closed to new replies.