Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • LG and Samsung LCD TVs
  • Harry_the_Spider

Are they any good?

I’m after a 32” and haven’t got a wad of cash. Hopefully I’ll be going to Richer Sounds this afternoon armed with a £350-£400 budget assuming that we can get the Christmas tree bought quickly.

Informed opinion only please. No conjecture 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

Yes.

Went from Panasonic [still good] to Samsung with no issues.

theotherjonv

very impressed with both Richer Sounds and the LG I bought off them.

But don’t have too many preconceptions, see what they have on offer / recommend. You might get a 350 quid TV for £300, or spend £350 on a £450 TV depending on what they have.

I *heart* Richer Sounds.

Pogo
    Free Member

I got an LG from Ritcher Sounds last year it’s absolutely spot on, best price and a bloody good telly, and my brother just got an x-display 32″ with a fair bit knocked off. They are both very good.

the_lecht_rocks

Samsung are leagues ahead of most others imo.

Samsung interfaces are brilliant and online upgrades / DNLA is great to use 🙂

picture on my sammy compared to my panny are superior…

Pickers

The HDMI ports failed on our Samsung TV due to “issues” with Sky HD feeds, then the power board failed at which point it went.
    If you buy one I hope you have better luck.
    Got an LG now that seems ok so far, better picture as well.

Harry_the_Spider

After a bit of delving I’ve found a Sony that falls into the right price bracket when the VAT cashback is taken into consideration.

I’ve always been a bit of a sucker for Sony stuff so I’m going to have a look at it. As an addded bonus the TV shop is a) £30 cheaper than Richers and b) Within a mile of the Christmas tree shop.

Everywhen
    Free Member

LG, Samsung, Richer Sounds a good combination.
    I got my LG Plasma from there and very pleased with it. Mate got a 22″ LCD Samsung recently (he has a very small house) and its very nice indeed.

redthunder
    Free Member

Sony suck.

Every Sony product I’ve ever had has failed in some way 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

Just bought the Sony. All the Sony stuff I’ve had lasted for ages.

project
    Free Member

Believe theres an owner of the company over on Bikemagic Lord Greenville = LG, might get a discount for being a cyclist. 😀

Zoolander
    Free Member

My LG is superb, very happy with it.
    It seemed pretty average at first but then I put hd through it and it’s excellent.

donsimon
    Free Member

Apparently Samsung are way better than LG in the world of TVs

loddrik
    Free Member

Had sonys for decades as they were always regarded as the best. However the last tv we bought was an lg and had been great, such that all our tvs are now lg LCD. I wholeheartedly recommend them.

Samsung > LG

I’ve very rarely read a bad report about a Samsung and I get comments about how good my picture looks. Consistently get plaudits in What Hi-Fi S&V too. LG – I’ve read bad things about on more than a few occassions, but saying that, I don’t think they make bad kit per se. Dont think you’ll go far wrong with either, but obviously model and spec will have a big bearing on PQ.

Get the best price (from Richer, or wherever) and then trot off to John Lewis for a price match & free 5 year guarantee.

Saccades
    Free Member

I have:

42″ & 32″ samsungs in the front room and a 37″ LG in the sunroom.

LG is pretty good except the speakers are in the back of the telly so sound can be a bit poor. has an auto adjustfeature for lighting which works a treat in a sunroom.

Samsungs have better sound with the speakers at the side and bottom, but have trouble if there is a lot of red on the screen, it tends to blur the lines quite a bit. ALso one came with shop display setting which it would keep on reverting to, bit of a pita and nneded to google a bit to find how to turn off properly.

Oh, samsung remotes have a wide angle of control compared to the LG.

Apart from those issues I can’t tell them apart picture wise.

Flaperon

LG = good.
    Samsung = naff.

Take a very careful look at how the LG and the Samsung handle flesh tones – never seen a Samsung get it right, while the cheaper LGs have it spot on. Worth asking for them to be set up next to each other in the shop, which Richer Sounds will do for you.

duntmatter
    Free Member

very impressed with both Richer Sounds and the LG I bought off them.

+1

Flaperon – Member
    LG = good.
    Samsung = naff.

Take a very careful look at how the LG and the Samsung handle flesh tones – never seen a Samsung get it right, while the cheaper LGs have it spot on. Worth asking for them to be set up next to each other in the shop, which Richer Sounds will do for you.

Not questioning your personal judgement, as ultimately that’s what matters.

I would question your set-up though, as my Samsung has perfect flesh tones and to call a Samsung naff drives against the majority of professional opinion.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m doing some courses in Samsung at the moment and by their own admission Samsung make the best mid range TVs. Which is what you’d expect, except they are quite honest about their other products not being the best. One of the mobile phone technical bods has an iPhone for personal use when they have access to the latest Samsung gadgetry.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Very happy with my 32″ Samsung.

aracer
    Free Member

Sony suck.

Couldn’t agree more. Our 13yo Sony CRT TV is still going strong*, so I’m not allowed to replace it with a nice big flat screen. If only we’d had the foresight to get something a bit less reliable.

What’s more, the VCR we got at the same time is now completely useless.

* to be fair I should mention that the original tube failed after 15 months, and Sony’s customer service was so poor that we had to take it all the way to our local Sony dealer (not where we’d bought it) 3 miles down the road before they’d consider replacing the tube for free – they wouldn’t even let us contribute to the labour.

TiRed

Get a Samsung LE32C580 from Comet if you can find one. Full HD (1024), bought mine for £330 two weeks ago. When set up properly (see avforums for calibration settings) the picture is up there with my reference Pioneer plasma. Highly recommended.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I got a 37in LG from Richer Sounds a few (3-4) years ago. love it, especially with an HD or BluRay signal. Sport is its weakness, but I tend not to watch too much anyway, so it’s no great loss to me

mrchrispy

i have a series 5 37″ samsung LED TV and its mint, picture quality is fantastic

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘LG and Samsung LCD TVs’ is closed to new replies.