• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Grim.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lezyne mega drive 1400
  • chip
    Free Member

Anyone use one.
    I have ordered one for on road and commuting as I have a solarstorm x2 for the mountain bike.

benp1

Dunno, let us know when it turns up! 😀

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

No.

You really think you will need 1400 lumens?

I’ve just got a Cateye Volt 800 & it’s more than bright enough for commuting.

chip
    Free Member

It has 300,600,1000,1400 lumens settings,
    I thought 300 would be ample for when the roads were lit and and for the unlit country lanes 600, or 1000 which ever suits best.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I commute with a NR Minewt with a max of 150 lumens, it spends half it’s life on lower settings, especially on country lanes where it’s not competing with anything (or it’s completely turned off and I ride by moonlight/light pollution haze like the 10 mile rural stretch last night at 11pm). Admittedly this is flat so not hitting high descending speeds.

And not “willy-waving”, just never understood the moar power thing for lights.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

And not “willy-waving”, just never understood the moar power thing for lights.

POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO #

You really don’t have to think too hard to understand why people want more powerful lights .

chip
    Free Member

Where I live lots of tree lined unlit lanes, the main one cuts through a wood. And are very dark as little moon light gets through the trees. That twinned with the pot holes and my irrational fear of escaped mad axe men makes me glad of the excessive lumens as every one knows rouge lunatics do not attack powerfully lit cyclists.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I’ve got a mega drive 1000 lumens that I use for commuting . Run it on 250 most of the time but it’s nice to have the extra for descents etc . I also use it for MTB riding in Autumn and Spring time when you only need a light for the last hour and I can just stash it in the camelbak until it’s needed .

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

You really don’t have to think too hard to understand why people want more powerful lights

Want or need was kind of my point. I’ve explained why I think it’s over kill, I commute 32 miles round trip every day year round through a 24hr shift pattern, with 20 of those miles being on rural completely unlit roads. It’s 20mph flat roads rather than 40mph descents (as I said in my original post) but I’ve never felt underlit with 150 lumens. I just see it (from the manufacturers perspective) as similar to the old BHP arms race motorbikes had, MMOARR POWER, who cares if you actually use or benefit from it.

I’ve got a mega drive 1000 lumens that I use for commuting Run it on 250 most of the time but it’s nice to have the extra for descents

so we’re in agreement, then?! You’re only using a quarter of your lights photongnarl capacity most of the time.

rouge lunatics

its always the ones with bad make up that are the worst 😉

Grim
    Free Member

I have just bought one to use in place of my solarstorm. It is not quite as bright, but it does give off a really usable light for off road night riding. I only needed to use the top setting on the fast singletrack stuff. Although I have always tended to run all my lights on lower settings until I really needed the full output. It’s not all about how many lumens, it’s how you use them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lezyne mega drive 1400’ is closed to new replies.