Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Lever Reach Adjustment and loss of power/spongy feel?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I have tred a few different brakes on my wifes bikes and it seems like when I adjust the lever reach for her smaller hands there seems to either be a loss of power or a loss in feel.

Does adjusting the lever reach adversely affect the performance? The worst aspect is that the levers need to be squeezed right back to the bars for full power and quite a bit of pull is needed to get them ‘activated’.

Any tech help appreciated!

garage-dweller

Yes it changed the feel on my hopes and my
    shimano brakes but can’t remember exactly how for both. Spongy on the Deores iirc.

garage-dweller

Not sure if it affected power or not. I always run mine right out. Only noticed because they shipped with the brakes set for max lever throw.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks guys – surely the whole point of the lever reach adjust is that performance should be unaffected or at least very minimal difference? I’ve tried a few different brands and the actual amount you need to squeeze the lever to get stopping power always increases when the lever reach is lessened – I’d actually expected it to be the opposite and become more sensitive….

andysredmini
    Free Member

On the newer hopes with the twin adjustment dials you can adjust reach and bite point. Anybody should be able to get a lever position that suits them. I have never adjusted any shimano but the consensus is that the lever adjust doesn’t really do anything.
    On the hopes I have never noticed a difference in power regardless of where the reach and bite point are set.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Lever Reach Adjustment and loss of power/spongy feel?’ is closed to new replies.