Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Letters after your name – do you?
  • randomjeremy
    Free Member

God no, how pretentious

organic355
    Free Member

Degree qualifications No

professional qualifications Yes.

i worked bloody hard to get them and I am damn well gonna advertise them

Organic CEng MCIBSE MSoPHE

bigG
    Free Member

Go on then, what does it mean?

That’ll be Cycling Proficiency Test, pretty much the only qualificiation that I’ve achieved I’m proud of.

I could use FCII after my name if I was willing to pay an annual sub but since it’s not relevant to my role I don’t see the point.

G

DrP

I know of a local doctor who puts:
    Name MRCP(part 1) after their name. The MRCP is a valid qualification. Passing the first (of 3) parts of it only ISN’T!. Plus, that part is only valid for 2 years!

Oh how I laugh!

Dr “DrP” P. L1FE.SaV3R…

rocketman
    Free Member

Never have, never will.

Dolcered

nah, I don’t see the point, yes i worked hard for them, but my work speaks for itself i hope.

My name is quite long enough without them tacked on the end.

Helios
    Free Member

One has even added after their MBA “(Oxf)”… but declined to add Brookes

that’s particularly cockish.

It’s even more cockish because the real way to do it would be “Oxon.”

I never use any of mine – but MrsHelios’ work all have to put theirs on e-mails as company policy – it makes me chuckle the extent to which some people go to try and look clever – I won’t even be suprised on the day I finally see a signature with cub scout badges…

davidjey
    Free Member

I sign work emails/letters with Dr, simply because I correspond with a lot of very busy hospital consultants, and like it or not they are more likely to respond to another doctor than a plain old mister when you email them out of the blue. They’re not to know that I’m not an MD, but have a PhD in enzyme kinetics instead….

I doubt many of my friends even know I’m a Dr. And I never use PhD.

philconsequence
    Free Member

all the damn time.. its the only way i get any respect around here!

Dr Consequence VCR DVD STI ROFLMAO LOL BLU-RAY

hilldodger
    Free Member

…. I correspond with a lot of very busy hospital consultants, and like it or not they are more likely to respond to another doctor than a plain old mister…

Unless of course they’re surgeons 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

It’s all about the letters before your name, surely?

sugdenr
    Free Member

My neighbour puts ‘Major’ on everything – even on her planning application. She used to organise summer balls and brave stuff like that! Other notable Majors being Major Charles Ingram, Major James Hewitt.

Its an inverse proportion – the more qualified you actually become the less you have to try and convince other people of your value and competence with your own propsganda – so no list of letters after name and a very short CV.

Ever noticed that all the contestants on Apprentice sem to be ‘Senior International Executive this’ or ‘Executive Vice-President that’ – even though they are only 19….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC)

Being a police officer with a PhD used in my previous career I have always been irritated by people who when asked their name say doctor, professor. If I was less professional I’d comment that their parents had a sense of humour christening them that.
    The only time I use it now is to introduce it in such situations to confound expectations and shake their pedestal. Working in Oxford this is a regular occurrence 🙂

GrahamS

Mr Munqe-chick pictured earlier today

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I never use them except in letters to other quacks. And then only one qualification

MA, MB BS, DA, MRCGP, DCH, DRCOG, FPcert is what I could use, but who would care?

I dont use Dr for bookings/communications either if I can avoid it.

BigJohn

I only use my hereditary title for getting a table at the Ivy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My wife always uses her title of ‘Miss’ at work as surgeon.

However if she used all her titles she would run out of space 2 Degrees, an MA, PHD, FRCS plus many more…she has now said she isnt going to study in depth for a while

hilldodger
    Free Member

I don’t really use any of my academic or professional ‘letters’ but do like to make use of my ‘Reverend’ whenever I can 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Being a police officer with a PhD used in my previous career I have always been irritated by people who when asked their name say doctor, professor.

I had a mate who never ever use his “Dr” title, the only exception was if being arrested (he had an uncanny knack for getting arrested) He would argue and insist that the arresting officer referred to him as doctor, figuring that it would annoy and irritate them. Seems to me that he might have hit the button.

bakey

Nope. My qualifications are on the company website though

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC)

ernie, it annoyed me when I was a research scientist as much as it does now I’m a copper. Between careers I spent a year working for an events management company and ran a conference for US medical doctors in Cancun. Most were obsessed with status (Dr X would complain that Dr Y had a better sea view etc) and they treated all us event types with disdain. One friendly chap engaged me in conversation and it turned out he worked in Philly, where I had recently done a postdoc, so our common experiences obviously became part of the conversation. The change in his colleagues attitudes towards me was equal parts amusing and depressing, and gave me more respect for people who work in the service sector who must experience this treatment constantly.

Many of my colleagues have higher degrees, there were at least 3 of us in Oxford with PhDs and a couple of Oxbridge types, which are irrelevant but challenges some peoples preconceptions.

GrahamS no pic?

Northwind

I’ve got mine on my business card, but I suppose that’s relevant since I’m basically a degree salesman :mrgreen: Don’t think I’ve ever used it myself though.

(I did ask if they would put 2:2 on it for me just so’s people don’t think I’m some sort of swot. They did not laugh, nor did they do it)

swamp_boy

I’ve gained up quite a few over the years, with varying degrees of effort, but only use the relevant ones on the business card and end of professional reports. One of my jobs is as a planning inspector, so I occasionally get letters addressed to Inspector SB. There might be times that would come in handy.

donsimon
    Free Member

My old company wanted me to do it, I didn’t. As they paid for the business cards they got their way. Only once did a client customer comment positively, which was quite embarrassing. I’ve done it on my new cards in a more tongue in cheek way to see if I can get more of the same.

don simon O’level social science.

nedrapier

I once sent a letter to the education department of Napier University to ask if they would confer upon me an honorary degree in recognition of the fact that my name was contained within their web address (www.ed.napier.ac.uk). I offered to attend up to 3 formal dinners per year as part of the deal, but they didn’t deign to respond.

The ****.

Northwind

Don’t worry mate, it’s not a proper university anyway.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Don’t think i’ve ever used mine. Might ask for an upgrade after this week!!

Rusty (teacher of 14-19 yr old lads)! 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

Didn’t use to – but in Canada it is more of a legal requirement even for disciplines (like Geology) that in the UK have less professonal designations.

MoreCashThanDash

Have my degree on my business card, not that it is actually relevent. Otherwise don’t bother.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s attention seeking of the highest order. Like riding a fixie or sticking a big gear on your bike.

samuri Tech Eng CISSP OWSP

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Buzz Lightyear BEng(hons) CEng

They were earned.

mrmo
    Free Member

i reallt don’t see the point outside a small range of professions where the qualification might indicate the person knows something.

Mrmo MA BSc(hons)

Poopsies
    Free Member

Seconded buzz-lightyear

Yes on my business cards as it is relevant and normal practice. Not on my email signature though.

Poopsies BEng CEng MICE

King-ocelot
    Free Member

In my first ever shop job people would hand CVs in with letters after thier name for an advertised vacancy of ‘shelf stacker – minimum wage’ I realised then, that when I got letters myself not to use them. It’s perfectly fine in a proffesional capacity, and it gives a sense of secuirty if you see your dentist has letters before he attempts to sort your troublesome teeth out. Just says cock if you use it as a status symbol.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve got no letters after my name to use, but if I’d had the time / been clever enough to get to call myself doctor, then I would.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I have a friend who puts this mouthful on his emails

Grad IOSH. MIIRSM. AIEMA. MIIAI. DipNEBOSH. EnvDipNEBOSH

No idea why, to me it says someone is more interested in qualifications than work itself

saxabar
    Free Member

Just says cock if you use it as a status symbol.

True, but I use my ‘Dr.’ prefix for services, utilities and other situations where a bit of respect comes in handy.

donsimon
    Free Member

I find that it is often others who will use the letters and I can’t control it.

don simon AW(es) O.M.E.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

NIce one Don!

Sammie-Louise x T.S.Y

hels
    Free Member

Academics are the worst for it. They fight over who sits in what chair too. We chuckle a lot.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Letters after your name – do you?’ is closed to new replies.