• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Letter from Sai Gon…
  • ro
    Free Member

Not in a good mood today. I seem to have pissed off my g/f over something so I'm being given the silent treatment. Boo! Girls are such a pain!

Anyway…

We normally head to Bangkok at the weekends, but thanks to the red shirt/yellow shirt fiasco it's become something of a no-go area of late so we've been hanging around Sai Gon trying out new places to eat. Most of my friends head over to Phnom Penh, but I was foolish enough to visit S21 when I first went there and it's coloured my impressions of Cambodia and Cambodians ever since. So much so that I can't stand the place. Too bloody depressing. Plus the sight of Western 'Charaties' swanning around the place living the life in their Toyota Land Cruisers makes me puke. And these are the guys who are meant to be rebuilding the country and helping the people?

One of these days the story of western NGO's in Asia will be told, and there will be some very angry donors in the west when they realise just how badly their funds were misused. And it's even worse in Laos…

But I digress. Sai Gon at the weekend is full of guys sitting in cafes drinking coffee and arguing about god-know-what while the girls are discussing business or buying new clothes, usually at the same time. Vietnamese girls are by far the prettiest in Asia and they know it. Women actually run things over here; they certainly run the finances in family life and most private businesses were started or are run by women. They're also as tough as hell. My g/f walked 500k out of Laos with her parents when she was six, and I suspect her ultimate endurance abilities may be somewhat greater than mine, although she's tiny and not as strong.

Women still find it difficult to get into the political scene, but in business women have no boundaries. In fact, of the three very wealthy people I know in VN, two are women and one may as well be (he's gay and a screaming queen). Point being, it's a woman's world here, and you ignore that at your peril.

But I'm digressing again. WTF? See? This just isn't a day to write logically.

I'm going to go to the gym. When confused, go exercise. Clears the head plus does your body some good. It's a win:win situation.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Letter from Sai Gon…’ is closed to new replies.