Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lets talk cross cantis
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve been running Frogleggs for ages now. No issues with their ability to stop, but there are issues.
    1) to remove the wheel you need to squeeze the pads together to release the straddle wire. Only thing is I can’t squeeze them enough to loosen the wire?
    2) They move in an arc so they point a bit skywards, then curve in and touch the pad.
    3) There’s zero toe in
    4) And they do tend to move about, I have some weirdly worn rims.

What’s better, Shimano?

dobo
    Free Member

i got some older trp cr950, dont think they suffer these issues. but if i were buying again i might try some of their newer models or some mini v

Northwind

For the low price of mini-vs I’d recommend trying it… (IIRC I paid £9 an end plus a little more for v-brake noodles with a barrel adjuster) I’m not a proper cross rider mind, but I found no real downsides and the performance even with standard pads is excellent, better than any canti I’ve used. Mud clearance looks inferior but in practical terms is much the same (the pads and stalks still cause the most clogging, same as cantis, the arms don’t make much difference if any)

Main downside is that you need to fanny around with cable tension to remove a wheel, the clearance isn’t enough to undo the straddle wire. But with an inline barrel adjuster that’s no real bother.

pid
    Free Member

Have been running mini-Vs with travel agents this summer and will be trying them in some central league races this season. Plenty of power and although the travel agent decreases force a bit, it has actually improved control / modulation. I imagine my tubeless setup is going to fail me before the brakes stop working!

oldgit
    Free Member

pid see you in the League.

simondbarnes

TRP EuroX

plus-one

Tektro cr720’s are what you need !!!!

crikey
    Free Member

Avid shorty 4s seem to work very well; I used them for the last 2 years 3 Peaks races.

Like all cantilever brakes, they reward careful set up.

The advantage over the more Euro-pro sticky out cantis is that they don’t stick out as much…

birdage

I’ve found the Avid Shorty 6 really good as well. After trying to get some new ones for ages and having to live with short on the front and Tektro 720 on the back, pleased to have found them at On One for £20!

aP
    Free Member

The Tektro cantilevers are good, although I’ve recently replaced them with Campagnolo cantilevers, and the old ones are going onto my old islabike when I rebuild it with Centaur as the original 8spd Mirage has finally worn out. Herself has FSA SL-K cantilevers which are really solid. Both the FSA and the Campag brakes have adjustment at the brake itself which makes little tweaks really easy to do.

benji
    Free Member

Avid Ultimates, they are called the ultimate for a reason, best canti’s I have ever run on a cross bike, nice and adjustable, option to run them wide or narrow, easy cable release and with a barrel adjuster as well to adjust the straddle should you need to just nip it up a bit to take up wear in pads.

john_l
    Free Member

Ultimates are awesome.

epicyclo

What levers are you using? Cane Creek for example.

I use levers with the little button that slackens the cables, but those are levers without the gear change.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I couldn’t get my frogglegs to work satisfactorily so they went and I now have TRP CX8.4 V brakes which are not only fantastic for feel and stopping,but also I can split them just as fast as the cantis to remove a wheel with the noodle.
    Oh and I have a 2 pairs of boxed, unused swissstop RAT yellow carbon pads if anyone wants them, £25 plus post.

sefton
    Free Member

trp cx are fantastic, but for regular cx racing they dont have the mud clearance which kills your race (this happened to me after the peaks)

you can get some trp adjustable (toe in) holders for the pads. this might help

I have just moved to trp eurox which look better made than my previous frogglegs. the straddle adjuster lets you wind the staddle loose (if set up correctly) which will make it easier to remove your wheel. frogglegs might have this feature too – can’t remember

The shimano cx70 and avid ulti’s look a lot more simple to set up and maintain. trp, froggs & avids look like they have slightly better clearance than shimano (only tiny tho).

there are some other cheaper brand which crc sell they look like they’ll do the job too.

have a look at hargroves for good trp prices!

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Anyone tried Planet X Frogs Bollox?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Funny enough I’ve logged on today for the first time in ages to start a similar thread..

I’ve got Avid Shorty’s on at the moment but same problems mentioned above. I did try Mini’Vs but had the clogging problem..

Should I go back to Frogs legs and just put up with the fact they are made for ‘slowing down’ not stopping…

Or do I go for a set of the TRPs..

Look fantastic and according to mates who have them fitted they work fantastic.. but £100 as set.. £200 is half-way toward a new frame with disc mounts (which I was considering anyway..)

Northwind

The TRPs clog exactly the same as their equivalent Tektro BMX mini-vs. Though in my experience it’s not an issue, when I compared the mud clearance with my shorties it was pretty much identical… The straddle wire was closer to the tyre but that was a non-issue, everwhere else that it looked like there was less clearance, actually the fork was the limiting factor not the brake.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Andy,planet x had them for £70 pair delivered.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve tried various bikes on my cx xommuter – avid shorty’s, mini v’s, proper v’s with travel agents, frogglegs. And the only one I haven’t replaced is avid ultimates, they really are fantastic.

sefton
    Free Member

the trp cx are amazing. but if you race they will kill your race. they dont have the clearance like canti’s do. I know this from experience

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lets talk cross cantis’ is closed to new replies.