Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Let's talk about stoves. Gas or Wood burner?
  • huggis
    Free Member

I am looking to install a stove into a relatively modern house with no chimney. We have a gas power flue effort which was installed before we bought the house. There is central heating so it wouldn’t be the only heat source. Seems installing a wood burner is more expense than gas and perhaps would t get used as much. Anyone any opinions?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Jesus … you really have to ask?

[although it seems you don’t need a stove at all]

Stoner
    Free Member

if you have gas central heating and no ready supply of free wood suitable for burning, there’s little reason to get a wood burner. Even a gas stove is mainly for aesthetics. Yes, it means you can heat “one” room, for a few hours of an evening in autumn when you dont want the central heating running, but these days you might as well sort out some smart TRVs and just run an efficient gas boiler CH for one room.

And I say that as a card carrying Beardy McAxerson, wood burning hippy log producing arse.

EDIT: I think that’s what shark was trying to convey in more eloquent language. 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

Thanks Stoner – never was good with words 🙂

footflaps

Surely installing a wood burner and all the associated threads on the subject, is a standard right of passage for any self respecting STWer? A bit like growing a beard or buying titanium pans (which you never use).

E.g. Only this evening I have been browsing Titanium pans, only to remember that the last time we went back packing (last week) we staying in a Hotel and ate a three course meal in the restaurant (Wasdale Head Inn).

DrP

Imagine lying on your deathbed in years to come, writhing in mental agony at the fact that in 2015 you opted away from owning a woodburner purely because you had an efficient gas boiler to provide utilitarian heat….

Have a word with yourself…

😉

DrP

crankboy
    Free Member

A wood burner requires a source of wood at least two wood sheds a chopping block and at least one axe , chainsaw optional. This is either a pro or a con depending on you .

huggis
    Free Member

I love setting things on fire as much as the next man…and can probably gather some of the wood from my garden..but I’m also very lazy so gas perhaps looking favourable. we had a real coal fire in the last house and it rarely got used.

footflaps

You could just grow a beard and buy a plaid shirt?

huggis
    Free Member

I should add, it’s for ‘asthetic heating’ and not for cooking or hot water!

Something like this. http://www.firebellystoves.com/fb1_gas.php

konabunny
    Free Member

I heard that wood burning stoves are incredibly bad for your neighbours if they have respiratory problems.

br
    Free Member

If you got a new(ish) house with gas CH then instead of wasting your money on a pointless stove, go buy a new bike.

huggis
    Free Member

B r ..hmm. Don’t think that would go down well. This debate would then be meaningless as I’d be chucked out by the missus!

DrP

Hmmm… At the end of the day, with our modern luxuries, you could look at it like a yellow t shirt or a wide screen tv.. Pretty and fun to look at, but not going to be a big financial return.

Or, if you live in a shack in a plaid shirt and eat rations, and rely on it as a pure heating source, then maybe the decision becomes based more on £ per log…

My view (all opinion) is that they are fun, and a pretty focus. There’s probably better ways off providing heat. A jumper perhaps?!

DrP

tillydog
    Free Member

You could just grow a beard and buy a plaid shirt?

FTFY 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

konabunny – Member
    I heard that wood burning stoves are incredibly bad for your neighbours if they have respiratory problems.

I think that applies to all smoke emission related stuff, yes? 😛

Try the haze and smog from Indonesia forest burning … it’s like smoking several hundreds cigarettes in one day. 😯

Can’t you get some soft of wood burning stoves with filter like cars?

franksinatra

A wood burner requires a source of wood at least two wood sheds a chopping block and at least one axe , chainsaw optional. This is either a pro or a con depending on you .

or you could pay a man to dump a load of wood out of a trailer onto your driveway once it twice a year.

We have a modern house with gas central heating, good insulation and we put in a stove a few years so. Don’t need it, but wanted it and that is enough of a reason.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I heard that wood burning stoves slumbering woodburners performing incomplete combustion are incredibly bad for your neighbours if they have respiratory problems.

Ftfy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Let's talk about stoves. Gas or Wood burner?’ is closed to new replies.