Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Let's talk about sex, baby…
  • IHN

This is one of those perennial political hot potatoes; sex education in schools, and it’s in the news again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31486465

Why as a society are we so bleedin petrified of mentioning the ‘s’ word to children (an an appropriate age-context manner of course). It’s yet another example of an issue where all the research and evidence says one thing (we really should talk about this stuff more) yet nothing is ever done because ooh, you know, it’s dirty, it’s not the state’s place, they should be taught this stuff by their parents etc etc. Well, if the parent were doing such a good effing job of it we wouldn’t be having the conversation, would we?

This comment from some blinkered wuckfit somes it up:

“It should never be taught in primary school,at that age they are more likely to experiment on each other if exposed to any type of sex education when so young. They are also still to immature at that age to understand what it is all about, If i ever found out that my children were being taught by there teacher or headmaster at that age i would go to the police and have all those involved arrested,”

That’s right, if we never talk about sex that will definitely stop children and teenagers experimenting with it. D1ck.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

First problem is it’s called sex education, which it isn’t it’s education about life. Stop the headlines and deal with the issues

hora
    Free Member

I remember the teacher having a go at me as everytime she said ‘penis’ (in a really posh voice) I cracked up laughing non-stop. After a few times of this she said GROW UP. I was 13yrs old you idiot 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s a fairly strong correlation between teen pregnancy* rates in Europe and attitudes (liberal v conservative) towards sex. The UK still has the highest rates in Europe AFAIK but it’s falling…as we educate our children more about sex. I’m sure I read somewhere that the Royal College of Midwives had claimed that rates in Wales had come down directly as a result of increased sex education.

*Not all teen pregnancies are unwanted though, I accept this.

(Also, teenage pregnancy is not the only “problem” associated with not having a healthy and liberal attitude towards sexual relationships.)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was 13yrs old you idiot

I thought you still were… 😕

Drac

I thought he talking about yesterday at work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

binners

Its the same blinkered attitude that we have to drug use. The policy plainly isn’t working, never has done, and never will. Lets not address the actual facts though. And be pragmatic to come up with workable solutions. No… Instead we should carry on pretending that we can somehow magically transport ourselves back to some 1950’s Daily Mail utopia, that never actually existed anyway. Heads in the sand again everyone! I’m sure it’ll all be fine

hora
    Free Member

OT but…

IHN

I remember the teacher having a go at me as everytime she said ‘penis’ (in a really posh voice) I cracked up laughing non-stop. After a few times of this she said GROW UP. I was 13yrs old you idiot

That’s the point though, if we just talked about this stuff then, by the age of 13, you shouldn’t be giggling at the word penis, just as you wouldn’t giggle at the words leg or elbow.

hora
    Free Member

Maybe- however away from their parents- do you know how 13yr olds act? Hardly matured.

Northwind

I don’t want to live in a world where I can’t giggle at the word penis.

winston
    Free Member

Do you know what you are talking about and have an active involvement OP? I.e do you have primary school age children who might be affected and you have researched the relevant part of the curriculum or are you a teacher who might have to carry it out?

Or are you just commenting on a random headline you read this morning in a kneekjerk way similar to the quote you posted?

Personally I would rather this type of education was restricted to biology at this young age and the R part left for parents. Also I don’t think sticking a video on then having some kind of discussion is the way to approach this subject (or any) especially at primary age

Junkyard
    Free Member

One of those a number of conservative [ non political true meaning] individuals are not comfortable talking about sex with their children in all honesty I dont know why and they forth as per that comment above.
    These days, with the wealth of “information” available on the internet, I would rather have that countered by some actual true explanations.
    YMMV and it is probably something best left to the parents to decide what is the best as we will have widely varying views on this subject.

IHN

And it’s nice to see that what was hoped to be a grown up discussion about having grown up discussions about sex has turned into a giggle fest about the word penis. 🙄

poah
    Free Member

a lot of parents don’t explain things properly to their kids. however, laughing when someone says penis is hard copied into the Y Xsome lol

IHN

Do you know what you are talking about and have an active involvement OP? I.e do you have primary school age children who might be affected and you have researched the relevant part of the curriculum or are you a teacher who might have to carry it out?

Or are you just commenting on a random headline you read this morning in a kneekjerk way similar to the quote you posted?

I’ll admit, I’m not a parent or a teacher and it was a bit of a kneejerk rant. However, it’s more about the fact that this comes up again and again and it’s pretty difficult to deny that, when it comes to talking about sex and relationships, as a society, we’re pretty **** poor. And that cannot be a good thing.

Personally I would rather this type of education was restricted to biology at this young age and the R part left for parents.

I wouldn’t argue with your first point, but your second point leaves the risk that the parent’s won’t talk about it, because traditionally/culturally we just don’t, or at least don’t do it very well.

Also I don’t think sticking a video on then having a half arsed ‘discussion’ about it afterwards is any kind of education at all.

I agree, but the answer is to make the education good rather than not doing it at all.

Rubber_Buccaneer

giggle fest about the word penis

Agreed, it’s a serious issue that causes problems. My friend Billy had a ten foot willy and he showed it to the girl next door. She thought it was a snake so hit it with a rake and now it’s only two foot four. With a little education his injury could have been avoided. 😥

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Also I don’t think sticking a video on then having a half arsed ‘discussion’ about it afterwards is any kind of education at all.

I assume you’re speaking from experience of current sex education techniques then?

bearnecessities

Heh. Rubber.

winston
    Free Member

Having read the 2010 draft paper on this subject and the recent amendments it is clear that:

A)Schools are being asked to go far beyond their remit in this area
    B)Even if the teacher is exceptionally able in this area, applying these statutory requirements to a class of 31 year 5 pupils all developing at different rates and expecting a positive outcome will be an impossibility.

TBH, I don’t have strong feelings about the content as far as my children not being able to cope – there is plenty of full and frank discussion in our house, my girls are bright and there is no religious barrier to overcome. However I think it will be a pigs breakfast and waste valuable teaching rescources which could be used in more important areas. The present guidelines from 2000 are perfect and include biology and ‘feelings’ in enough detail for primary kids to then ask the right questions when they move up into secondary school.

IHN

The present guidelines from 2000 are perfect and include biology and ‘feelings’ in enough detail for primary kids to then ask the right questions when they move up into secondary school.

The article and the R4 piece I listened to suggested that teaching of this stuff in schools was often ‘poor’ (against what benchmark I don’t know). So is it that those guidelines aren’t being followed, i.e. we know what we should be doing but we’re not doing it (enough)?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Gosh, it’s lucky we all pay our taxes so teachers can raise our children for us. – I don’t think a teacher should do much more than give them the mechanicals, sadly that means lots of kids would only get the mechanicals, so the state’s got to step in, which means that they’ve got to do it in a ‘mass market’ way which in turn means x% of a-holes won’t like the way it’s done. Can’t win, don’t worry about it, just plug on. And the fact it’s not mandatory in non LA funded schools is laughable.

piemonster

Agreed, it’s a serious issue that causes problems. My friend Billy had a ten foot willy and he showed it to the girl next door. She thought it was a snake so hit it with a rake and now it’s only two foot four. With a little education his injury could have been avoided.

😆

I chortled at giggle fest and penis too.

Acting my shoe size is a lifelong commitment.

Anyway, carry on. Which is about my level.

JAG

OP – I wholeheartedly agree with what you’re saying.

Rubber Buccaneer – hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

My apologies 🙄

anagallis_arvensis

Schools cannot make up for a lack of parenting, just as the nhs cannot make up for a lack of social care.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Let's talk about sex, baby…’ is closed to new replies.