Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 636 total)
  • Lets talk about Man Utd
  • martinhutch

Expensive midfielders called Juan. What could possibly go wrong?

hora
    Free Member

binners disagree about City. City were in a squad building phase- spurt to get upto speed so it looks/looked skewered.

What about Berbatov? Others- spend on bad players. Man U aren’t exactly poor when it came to spending.

What I ‘love’ about Man U fans around me is the way ‘the winker’ was slagged off for wanting to progress to his next team after years of toil/giving his all for Man U. He always said he wanted to play for Real one day. It wasn’t a shock. Yet the fans I heard acted as though he was a traitor/want-a-way kid. You got 60m for him!

binners

😆 @ martinhutch

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rockape63
    Free Member

We are not skint by any stretch but we are certainly not competing with the top tier of [ sugar daddy] owners

Ah, well thats different and something you should be proud of. You are using the Clubs income to run the club and not being used as a rich mans play thing.

You are not buying your Trophies.

martinhutch

Van Persie still injured, or is he just pretending to be sore while his agent does the rounds? If he stays out much longer, the Europa league is beckoning.

HindlePie
    Free Member

Binners – Getting rid of the Glazers, so we stop financing the losses of American shopping malls would be the best thing that could happen at OT

You’ll have to get yourself down to one of them anti-Glazer protests like the true Man U fan that you are. 😆

hora
    Free Member

binners don’t you watch Man U’s matches on hooky-sky in pubs outside of Manchester? 😉

MSP

the Europa league is beckoning

Only if city win everything and europa league places trickle further down the premier league finshing places.

binners

Shut it Hindle Pie, You blue monkey! You’ve got to get past the mighty Sunderland yet 😀

hora
    Free Member

Hindle Pie IS proper Manchester though binners. Manchester-born, City fan etc.

Not like you and me- born/from outside pretending to be local..

My son is Stretford-born so could in theory..

Become a City fan.

JonR
    Free Member

Shut it Hindle Pie, You blue monkey! You’ve got to get past the mighty Sunderland yet

Yeah right! Like City are going to be beaten in the cup final at Wembley by a relegation threatened side. That would never happen. Ever!

theflatboy
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member

Van Persie still injured, or is he just pretending to be sore while his agent does the rounds? If he stays out much longer, the Europa league is beck

As an Arsenal fan I just hope he remains injured and never plays again.

dooosuk
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

Nice, even if he was about to secretly resign for Wenger?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Even then. Although I obviously wouldn’t want him to then sign. 🙂

timc
    Free Member

Not enough money spent on Squad you say? Here is an ’11’ for you… 🙄

David de Gea £17,800,000
    Phil Jones £16,500,000
    Rio Ferdinand £30,000,000
    Nemanja Vidi? (captain) £7,000,000
    Patrice Evra (vice-captain) £5,500,000
    Antonio Valencia £16,000,000
    Marouane Fellaini £27,500,000
    Michael Carrick £18,600,000
    Ashley Young £15,000,000+
    Robin van Persie £22,500,000
    Wayne Rooney £25,600,000

Rockape63
    Free Member

Its true Hora, we wouldn’t have him back…..for anything!

jambalaya
    Free Member

RVP made Man U’s season last year plus the opposition capitulating. Man U have plenty of money, enough to waste £27m on Felini who was/is appalling. Mata is a good buy in terms of quality but expensive. It sends the signal to me that they know Rooney is off elsewhere. Chelsea look to have made a good signing of the Egyptian lad from Basle, just highlights how desperate Man U are.

I still say they will sneak into the CL places as their form will look much better once RVP is back, but that’s a poor season really.

jambalaya
    Free Member

RVP was a very loyal servant to Arsenal, he left because he wanted to win something and you cannot blame him for that.

Rockape63
    Free Member

RVP was a very loyal servant to Arsenal, he left because he wanted to win something and you cannot blame him for that.

Not really, we bought when he was going through a troubled period, made him the Player he is, stuck by him thru the rape allegations, numerous injuries and finally when he started to do the business, he upped and left for vast sums….more than double what we could afford to pay. If you honestly believe he left to win something, you are deluded!

toxicsoks
    Free Member

With love from Elland Road. (will swap circumstances…) 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

You are not buying your Trophies

is that because we are not getting any trophies

Here is an ’11’ for you.

Including a number of players bought about a decade ago and many from 5 + years ago.

No one has said we are skint but it would be hard to argue we are competing with the top teams in terms of spending or spending power.

If you honestly believe he left to win something, you are deluded!

how long did you want him to stay then
    Its true that it is the reflection of the modern footballer where there is no loyalty but I think the reasons he gave are genuine. Had arsenal; been winning and the top team do you still think he would have left – is it deluded to think he would have stayed? He is no Ashley Cole but i can see why a fan would dislike his actions

MSP

but it would be hard to argue we are competing with the top teams in terms of spending or spending power.

I think united’s and city’s net spend would be pretty simillar over the past 2 seasons.

hora
    Free Member

Man U’s rinsed through loads of players over the past few years?

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/manchester-united-transfers.html

theflatboy
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

Funnily enough we see the situation differently.

MSP

So from summer 2011, United have a net spend of 80mil and City 100 mil. Mata will put United on 115mil.

Chealsea 140 million
    Arsenal 40 million
    Liverpool 60 million.

So united are right up there with the big spenders.

hora
    Free Member

Which idiot paid 30m for the lazy Berbatov?

Cant be Fergie. He was brilliant

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think united’s and city’s net spend would be pretty simillar over the past 2 seasons.

I think we are about £100 million behind or thereabouts and more if we did not have the massively talented fellani!
    they seem to average circa 70 million + since 09 and us about 30 million ish perhaps a bit more some seasons
    It slightly unfair to pick the last two years only given the big spending they have done over the last 4 years but yes both teams are rich but no one can think Utd are the richer

Man U’s rinsed through loads of players over the past few years?

they are buying “talent” ie young players not top dollar players soa lot dont make it and Fergie was not as great with young players as everyone thinks
    Paul Pogba – Imagine if he was there now eh and he went for nothign and is now worth circa 40 million!!!

OF course they have spent though I am not denying this but the key to success is IMHO how much you spend and they are trailing

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Never mind all that. Haway the **** lads.

jambalaya
    Free Member

he upped and left for vast sums….more than double what we could afford to pay.

re RVP, I assume you are not talking about transfer fee (as that wasn’t so high) but wages. Arsenal have a wage policy which in this case worked against them. they could have afforded to pay him higher wages, they chose not to.

As regards the general discussion ..

One area where IMO Moyes was untested was the transfer market and I mean in the sense of buying players to win things rather than just being there or thereabouts. With only the acquisition of Felini he bought just one terrible player. His other main target Baines would’t have helped either. Fabregas was never going to move, his focus should have been on signing players who might actually be available.

Man U are lacking a leader on the field and in the dressing room, the prior candidates for that role are on the way out, too old or out of form.

MSP

It slightly unfair to pick the last two years only given the big spending they have done over the last 4 years but yes both teams are rich but no one can think Utd are the richer

Well how many transfer windows have United outspent city over the past 20 years. City built a team quickly over a couple of seasons, then started spending the way united have for a long long time, trying to add quality to an established team.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Which idiot paid 30m for the lazy Berbatov?

He’s a quality player and had some great seasons for United. He is/was never the sort of player to track back and certainly not the type to be motivated to do that playing for a Fulham team heading for the Nationwide.

hora
    Free Member

48 goals in 4yrs. How does he compare

vondally
    Free Member

Traditionally UTD had an excellent defence of the list of players
    Vidic and Evra 7 and 5 million wonderful buys but old

De Gea is looking a good buy and possibly a great buy

UTD no full backs really need a Dennis Irwin, great defender, unfussy and great I n possession……..all the full backs even evra are ropey

Two centre halves………rio and vidic out possibly jones and evans but both are error prone

Defensive midfielder…………proper ‘water carrier’

Valencia been a nightmare positional and defensively cost several goals

sell Rooney best season for years positionally nightmare wants to do everyone else’s job….dropping into the hole is not what he does, more akin to the kid on the field going give me the ball I’ll do it….

sell strikers chico and possibly wellbeck

so what are UTD left with Fergies make do and mend spending, wild buys Bebe anyone and Moyes trying to rebuild but his natural instinct is stolid play rather than attacking, not always great person management and tentative buying policy,

Everton are far better with Martinez,

ps I am Liverpool fan and we will not make champions league withoiut Lucas…imagine saying that 3 years ago

oldboy
    Free Member

I haven’t read any of this thread, and my local club is Huddersfield Town (!), but I loved the flowing football that Manchester United played over the last few decades.

kevj
    Free Member

paulosoxo – Member
    Never mind all that. Haway the **** lads.

+ 2:1 😉

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Call the cops I need to speak to Sir Alex

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-25858527

kevj
    Free Member

JonR
    Free Member

So from summer 2011, United have a net spend of 80mil and City 100 mil. Mata will put United on 115mil.

Chealsea 140 million
    Arsenal 40 million
    Liverpool 60 million.

So united are right up there with the big spenders.

What astonishingly round figures, almost like they were just made up on the spot.

And this website says they were.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/

And if you can’t be bothered with an overview here are the net spend figures since City came in to their oil money.

Manchester City £480.05m
    Manchester United £138.75m
    Chelsea £269.75m
    Liverpool £89.4m

Saccades
    Free Member

Home link

Written last year:

Opinion Pieces, Pre-Season, Premier League
    Season Preview 2013-14
    by Editor • July 25, 2013 • 3 Comments
    After one of the biggest changes in the club’s history, predictions for this season have ranged from a comfortable title defence right the way down to the permanent, irreversible demise of Manchester United. The truth is that it’s incredibly difficult to predict how things will pan out in the absence of Sir Alex Ferguson but there are various clues which suggest things may initially be very difficult.

I’ve been of the opinion for about 18 months now that the current squad is approaching the end of its cycle and needs freshening up. The signing of Robin Van Persie papered over those cracks to great effect, and his acquisition effectively won Ferguson one last title, but it was only a short term measure. Certain players like Vidic, Evra, Giggs, Valencia and Ferdinand have struggled to find consistency and/or fitness and this will be a huge problem for Moyes. They have been vitally important for a long, long time but their influence will only continue to diminish, and that will place huge pressure on some of the younger players – many of whom are unlikely to be ready for that burden yet.

If the team does struggle for the first few months, it’s easy to imagine the likes of Cleverley, Welbeck, Smalling and Rafael becoming slightly overwhelmed with the immense pressure on their shoulders, and that would be an almighty shame because they all deserve the chance to work towards having long, successful careers at United. Phil Jones in particular is potentially a future captain, but it’s likely he’ll have to make a rapid progression from “youthful squad player” to “indispensible first team player” this season, and it’ll be interesting to see how he responds to that.

Another important issue for Moyes to consider will be how to make use of Wayne Rooney. I have little doubt that Rooney will approach or exceed 20 goals and probably get just as many assists if he plays behind Van Persie this season, but the last couple of years have already demonstrated that Rooney’s presence in deeper areas compromises the fluency of the team overall, even though his individual stats look positive. He is sloppy and lethargic in tight areas, and the lack of intricacy in his game generally leads him to plump for the uncultured, often-detrimental long pass out to the wing rather than a more incisive short pass infield. I will make one firm prediction with absolute confidence: If Rooney plays in the number 10 role all season, he will get a lot of goals and assists but his restrictive overall influence from that role will leave the team well out of the title race even by Christmas, and potentially even struggling to achieve a Champions League place. Nimble, intelligent Number 10s have finally begun to dominate the Premier League and demonstrate the importance of the role, so it’s like that Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea will be much quicker to find a real sense of fluency to their game. While United do have Kagawa, it is hard to see how he will ever be able to genuinely find his feet with Rooney at the club.

It cannot be stressed enough how difficult this job is going to be for David Moyes, especially in his first year. It’s an almost-paradoxical situation: he is taking over the reigning champions and most successful ever English club, and yet he will inherit an imbalanced squad which is in drastic need of major surgery. The early signs are that he’ll provide the current squad with the opportunity to prove themselves to him, and although I don’t think the results will be spectacular on the pitch, I think this is the wise approach to take. It’ll be far more beneficial for him to work closely with the squad for 6-12 months and analyse in full what actions need to be taken, rather than making any rushed, panicked decisions. That may result in a compromise of his own long term tactical plans, as this creaking squad would most likely respond very poorly to any major changes in playing style.

The aging, declining squad will most likely struggle to re-discover past glories, and I fear the side will start to look increasingly pedestrian in the short term. It’s important that the supporters recognise just how difficult Moyes’ job is going to be, and more importantly, try to understand that it’s not even worth judging him definitively until he starts to build a team under his own identity from 2014 onwards. In the long term, I am convinced Moyes has the capability and vision to build a great team but it’s entirely possible there’ll be 6-18 months of dark (in relative terms) times at the club. One positive to take from this new era is Moyes’ interest in big name players (Fabregas,Thiago, potentially Fellaini) and the potential that has to really establish a “big club mentality”. While United have often been associated with signing younger, more raw talents, it would only take one or two major signings over the next year or so to drastically change the perception of United in the transfer market, and their ability to make major signings

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 636 total)

The topic ‘Lets talk about Man Utd’ is closed to new replies.