Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 636 total)
  • Lets talk about Man Utd
  • iolo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWRy3oJrZMQ[/video]

I don’t do football but see this coming up quite often and it made me laugh when I saw it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am still struggling to get my head around how the Glaziers pulled off the deal in the first place.

“Hi, I want to buy one of the worlds biggest brands. I am going to have to borrow lots of money to do so. And guess what? I am then going to use your money to pay it all back. Brilliant….and for my next trick…..”

I was amazed AF achieved so much with an ok squad in the last couple of season. He milked the squad for all it worth and bowed out and the right time. I am pretty agnostic towards Moyes but hope that he is given a chance.

ransos
    Free Member

EDIT: Assuming we don’t get nobbled by West Ham tonight, of course.

Having witnessed our “performance” against Forest on Sunday, I find that highly unlikely.

gonzy
    Free Member

Man U are going to be in that “transitional” period for some time by the looks of things. the trouble is that this has been evident for some time but has been glossed over due to their success on the field.
    if you look to see where the real problems/blame lie then it has to fall on the owners and Fergie.
    the owners have been screwing the club over right from the start and fergie has allowed it. sure they gave him the money to make the occasional big signing but quite a few of these have turned out to be rather dud (djembe, veron, anderson etc).
    fergie has skated over this lack of investment by relying on the backbone of a squad that has been there for over a decade. whenever the subject of money came up he hds been happy to say that the money was available to spend if he wanted but it never got spent, i mean what happened to the ronaldo money? Binners is right when he says that there has not been any money for some time.
    i always got the feeling he was happy to tow the party line so long as he was given the freedom to do as he pleased at the club i.e. retain the power and influence he has there
    last seasons success came with a very poor squad by their standards but this was aided by the fact that all the other clubs were even poorer. fergie picked the right time to bow out by leaving on a high to keep his legacy intact…but the evidence suggests that he was never given the money to invest on the youth academy or on the squad itself and now moyes has been left with an aging squad of players coming to the end of their careers.
    he has a massive job on his hands to rebuild that squad and with very few youth players coming through (the current exception being januzaj).
    i cant see them attaining the level of success theyre accustomed to.
    which leads me to the conclusion that his appointment was made on the fact that he has demonstrated at everton that he can maintain a club with little or no budget and that is what the owners want now that fergie has gone.
    the panic buy of fellaini was a poor exercise to show they have the spending power just to keep the wool pulled over the fans eyes. the reality is the club has been on the slide for a number of years and this has been stayed by the brilliance of fergie as a manager.

i do feel for moyes and the decline of the club but as a liverpool supporter i have to admit i am rather enjoying it!!

bhmartin
    Free Member

Just goes to show that it is money that buys league titles.Football has lost contact with the real world and fans are walking away in large numbers.I was a season ticket holder for many years at West Brom and we were getting bigger crowds playing in the championship.Too much money is ruining the game.

Rockape63
    Free Member

No question that money is ruining the game, it has done for years! I can’t understand how the football journalists, Presenters and Analysts are not dismissing Chelski’s and City’s titles/trophies as pretty meaningless because they have been bought!

Any Club that uses money not earned as income should play in their own league where all the owners can throw their money around to their hearts content. I can’t believe the supporters really enjoy the success either….they know they have cheated.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Football, the best form of regressive taxation known to man!!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Think agent moyes is doing an excellent job, thought it might take a couple of years but he’s making excellent progress, can’t see him need the full contract to complete the dismantling!!!

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Teamhurtmore: I need to remember that one

Rockape63
    Free Member

Did anyone watch the game last night? What drama, what ineptitude, what fun….for the Sunderland fans! You should have seens Moyes face when that last penalty was missed, I almost felt sorry for him!

So now its a quick £37m purchase, but will it help? 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

cannot really make the situation any worse can it

Gotta feel for the manager though
    they score with their only shot and then they take penalties in the perfect English style [ miss]

Mackem

😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A wise man mentioned this morning that Joany Moany is happy to let Utd have Mata – they’ve already played them twice this season and he’d love nothing more than to see Mata take points of Citeh when they meet the noisy neighbours.

Mata is a class player though and might plug the hole left when RVP and Rooney go in the summer.

We’re going to score one more than you didn’t work for Newcastle – it won’t work for Utd either. Until they stop conceding, they’re going nowhere fast.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyway, it seems Mata’s helicopter can’t land at OT to enable him to sign his new contract…until Phil Jones’ penalty has come back down.

(shamelessly stolen from twitter)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its a mixture of things including bad luck but i dont think Moyes is about to start playing expansive flowing football any time soon.

That said you have to start wondering, though the squad is not good enough, whether Moyes is up to it…its looking less like he is every week and that perhaps we needed a big character like Jose [ to be clear i thought moyes was the right man and Jose was not]

I cannot see this slump being allowed to have happened under Jose had he been appointed and am worried Moyes is out of his depth here and everton was his peak and Man U his Peter principle

binners

Its actually becoming strangely compelling just how bad we can get. A proper slow-motion car crash

There are some positives to take out of it though:

My City mates were gutted! They were looking forward to giving us an absolute Shoeing at Wembley. Think I’ve dodged a Monday Mornign bullet there! 😀

And at least Woy now knows that Welbeck is developing into an automatic first choice striker for England. He couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo. Especially from the spot. And neither can Jones. He’s on the plane to Brazil too

MSP

I think utd surrendered last night to save the humiliation of a wembley thrashing by city, although sunderland almost scuppered the plan for them.

Mata is a good buy though, I suspect he has been frozen out in chelsea as a Mourinho power game rather than as any fault of his own. Will he be enough to get them in the champions league spots though?

Moyes hasn’t played Kagawa in that central attacking midfeilder role, and they are similar types of players. Getting Rooney and RvP back and keeping them fit is going to make a bigger impact.

perhaps we needed a big character like Jose

I wondered for a long time (since long before he retired) if someone would just have to take all the crap for not being Ferguson for a season or two, before someone else could take over and actually be his own man.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That said you have to start wondering, though the squad is not good enough, whether Moyes is up to it.

It may even have been earlier on this thread or another one, but I did muse over how long the owners will have patience. Moyes’ post-match interviews are showing him up a bit…anytime now he’s going to say “**** it lads, I just can’t do it!” I think he needs to do a Fergie and just not talk to the Beeb. 😀

Rockape63
    Free Member

.anytime now he’s going to say “**** it lads, I just can’t do it!”

It wouldn’t be the first time that happened…..remember Keegan resigning from England saying he wasn’t up to the job!

hora
    Free Member

Rewind back to when Moyes was announced. How many people thought ‘wtf, nice bloke, done ok with what he has at Everton but wtf’?

Same still applies.

Why couldn’t they get a top-flight manager?

The owners and the clubs inherent debts?

I’m an outsider so don’t mind me but I’d imagine they wanted someone with potential on the cheap than a seasoned/winning manager?

binners

Can we just pause and reflect for A moment on another one of Kevs finest moments…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXpUdBlRZe8[/video]

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

anytime now he’s going to say “**** it lads, I just can’t do it!” I think he needs to do a Fergie and just not talk to the Beeb

The PR world loss is our gain

Remember him as Preston manager when I had a season ticket but what is he meant to say
    We were shit there was nothing to defend so he cannot even spin it he just has to be honest. a lot of players have to leave now as they are just not up to it

interestingly Kagawa plays in the same role as Mata and never gets a chance so no idea what formation he will use

MSP

but I’d imagine they wanted someone with potential on the cheap than a seasoned/winning manager?

Someone like Martinez 😆

hora
    Free Member

Again as a non-footballist, I bet if Man U finishes 6th or 7th hes out along with a squad clearout/shakeup.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t think he went after Mata JY. They’ll have been offered him on a plate by Chelsea.

dragon
    Free Member

Anyone know the point of Phil Jones?

Moyes is looking lost, but then his team is rubbish, Fergie dealt him a sinker there. No one is frightened of Man U anymore.

binners

He won’t be out. United isn’t that kind of club. He’ll get another season. This was always a transitional one, that was always going to be difficult, to say the least

But half that squad needs to be gone. He’s made a start with Anderson, who’s always been hopeless. With any luck Nani’s played his last game, despite just signing a 5 year deal (christ knows who’s idea that was). Then With Mata in, a couple more signings in the summer, and VP and Rooney back its a different… erm… Mata 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t think he went after Mata JY. They’ll have been offered him on a plate by Chelsea.

Interesting as he is a marque signing but in a position we have no shortage for nor need…you may have a point

Anyone know the point of Phil Jones?

Ifeel sorry for him he gets playe din lots of different positions so he looks out of his depth in them all. He needs to play regularly in a position IMHO replace Ferdinand in defence as he is no midfielder or RB

hora
    Free Member

Look on the positive side binners, there will hopefully be some big reforms/relook at how they do things (the squads too old) and hopefully in a couple of years Man U may be a massive force in Europe like the likes of Barca etc?

Lets face it – its a English football team with global marketing might.

It aint a European/big winner with global marketing might.

Again- I actually know nothing about football- just a casual observer but thats the way it seems.

binners

Getting rid of the Glazers, so we stop financing the losses of American shopping malls would be the best thing that could happen at OT

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aye it is all about the money and that comes from a sugar daddy owner not the fan base
    We have a the fan base and some leeches as owners

loum
    Free Member

I wondered for a long time (since long before he retired) if someone would just have to take all the crap for not being Ferguson for a season or two, before someone else could take over and actually be his own man.

Exactly this.

Like Manu’s Pope Benedict.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

My other half is a man u fan and we have pet names for the man u players this year, its kinda a running joke.

De Gea – De Hoy-er
    Januzaj – Jingle bells
    Fillaini – Flipflop

and now we have One sheeet for Jaun Mata.

just sharing.. as a Newcastle fan I cannot possibly say what we call some of the Toon players. 😉

MSP

He won’t be out. United isn’t that kind of club.

Utd have had 2 long serving managers, iirc in the 13 years between them they had 7 managers. So they have more of a track record being exactly that kind of club than not.

hora
    Free Member

Of course he’ll be out. Just because one bloke worked out to be great/was on the edge of sacking doesnt mean they all will.

Wheres his potential? Where was his passion- in a few games he was stock still not shouting/getting going. He looked beat.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Oh the ironing….

Rockape63
    Free Member

Getting rid of the Glazers, so we stop financing the losses of American shopping malls would be the best thing that could happen at OT

Binners Old Chap, you can’t keep blaming the owners for the lack of money, they have more than coughed up when required. RVP is costing £2m a month (fee and wages) £27m for fellani, £37m for mata….most teams would love to have that sort of money to spend.

The reality is, the squad has not looked good for a couple of years and last seasons achievement was heroic considering.

Oh and yes…who the F decided to give nani a 5 yr contract….he really has been one of the flops for the past 5 yrs.

binners

They won’t get rid of him so soon, as someone will then go and have to tell Fergie, the still brooding presence that he made the wrong call. Who do you this going to do that then?

binners

Rockape63 – agreed, up to a point. Its a lot of money to most clubs. But United isn’t most clubs. Its one of the biggest clubs in the world. And should have a transfer policy that reflects that. Our squad looks threadbare compared to City, Chelsea, because the Glazers have ripped about £700 million out of the club (and we’re still in mountains of debt!!!). Money that could have been spent on renewing the squads over the last few seasons, instead of relying on Fergie to get them through

Junkyard
    Free Member

Binners Old Chap, you can’t keep blaming the owners for the lack of money, they have more than coughed up when required.

How much has the company lost to pay debts that other clubs dont have?

We are not skint by any stretch but we are certainly not competing with the top tier of [ sugar daddy] owners

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 636 total)

The topic ‘Lets talk about Man Utd’ is closed to new replies.