Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Let's talk about CX baby!
  • squeezer
    Free Member

So, here I sit having just turned 40, carrying about two stone of excess fat, with my below average bike handling skills and below average speed. Trying to think of a suitable midlife crisis when it hits me: cyclocross! So what does a cyclocross virgin need to know before he starts? Will I get soundly thrashed? What would be a good event to start with? Will I fall off more than anyone else and get in the way of the leaders as they come flying past to lap me? Will I break myself?! Tell all!

pnik

Suspension and wide bars are progress. Probably. Any. Probably. Probably not badly.

Seriously the run a couple of low key ones down in Brighton every year and they look like fun, also tolerate mtbs. I fancy a go too, but apparently I’ve bought enough bikes this year. Might have a go on my hardtail though. I was strangely attracted to the idea after watching Geoff Waughs 3 peaks edit.

Digger90
    Free Member

Yes to all of the above… and yet, you’ll love it.

It is addictive and the most fun you can have with your pants on! 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vdubber67
    Free Member

You will indeed get thrashed, but you probably won’t be last. It will hurt. You will be lapped. No one will take the piss though, cross is pretty inclusive. You will probably love it. 😉

pnik

Btw I too am >40 and carrying some ballast.

squeezer
    Free Member

I’ll look into the ones down in Brighton…Thanks. Would be good if they do tolerate MTBs to start with. All the videos on YouTube seem to feature impossibly skinny specimens. In the real world do people built for comfort rather than speed race? I am looking to drop a few pounds and I think that riding round a muddy field at 110% might well do the trick!

Clover

Yes, they do, yes it will help. It’s ace. I have no idea why.

Digger90
    Free Member

I’ll be at the Stanmer Park one on Nov 4th…

Yes, cuddly types do race… not everyone’s a racing snake.

CX is good for you! 😀

Good for the mind, body and soul.

Repeat that to yourself when your lungs are about to explode out of your chest! 😯

fontmoss
    Free Member

You will indeed get thrashed, but you probably won’t be last. It will hurt. You will be lapped. No one will take the piss though, cross is pretty inclusive. You will probably love it.

All of this is true, including no one taking the piss. To paraphrase LeMond-it doesn’t get easier you just get faster

rob2
    Free Member

i’m just about to hit 40 and pressed the button today on a cx frame today to build up. Rationale being I’ll commute to work :o)

Perhaps its an age thing, like buying a motorbike?

dobo
    Free Member

just turn up and give it a go, thats what i did, turned up without a clue, was immediately asked if i had a racing licence? lol no and was charged £3 extra on the day, ok no problem, then lined up with a rather small pack of racing snakes and got thrashed! got lapped and almost came last, and was in a world of hurt. got a real buz out of it though. oh and im not exactly unfit but dont let that put you off.
    I’m a little better now but still at back of the pack and looking forward to reading cx at prospect park this sunday. Did this last year and felt rather brutal!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Let's talk about CX baby!’ is closed to new replies.