Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Let's spec…a cyclocross race build
  • ourmaninthenorth

Although the season has just finished, I need to start planning a build for next season’s NWCCA league. I’ve previously raced cross on my MTB or a SS road conversion. I could buy a bike off the shelf, but TBH, I don’t want to. Also, as we’re moving house soon, a big outlay is no good, so a steady accumulation of parts is easier.

Let’s set the budget at £1000, and I’ve no problem with hunting down s/h kit. I’d like to go sensibly light, but not fragile.

Frame & fork: Zepnat – it seems reas. light and the proportions will suit me. Currently £300

Drivetrain: (ideally Shimano). 105? Gearing?

Wheels: Tubs? Clinchers? Handbuilt? Factory?

Brakes: ?

Tyres: mud/dry?

Bars/stem/seatpost: Light or strong? Or both?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I would always choose Campag, but thats a personal preference. 46-36 with 12-27 would cover most riders for most courses.
    Tubs for a race bike, they puncture less, weigh less and grip more. You can find Vittoria XGs reasonably cheap. (60/pr)
    Go for handbuilts on box section rims, something like 105 hubs on mavic reflex with 32 3x spokes.(250ish new, much less S/H))
    mid weight roadie finishing kit, Easton EA70 stem and seat post, alloy bars of your choice

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers leggyblonde – Shimano, as I use it on both my winter and road bikes.

Are the vittorias sufficient for all season riding?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d go open pro (reflex quite fragile IME) and probably singlespeed, spend the money saved on disc brakes.

Plenty stuff out there sh, I’m amazed at how cheaply I’ve picked up some v serviceable stuff recently.

finbar
    Free Member

FSA SL-K cantis look nice and are relatively cheap:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FSA-SL-K-CX-Cantilever-Front-and-Rear-Brake-Set-Black-/160508737316?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255f10f724
    I’d go second hand for seatpost/bars/stem – on my summer bike i’ve got Deda Newton Shallow drops (209 grams – maybe a bit light for ‘cross!), a Syntace F119 stem and a Ritchey WCS post, and i guess that lot came to about £70 total off here and Bikeradar classifieds.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

cynic-al, he wants a race bike and singlespeed will be a hindrance in a race situation. Also open pros aren’t for tubs and tubs really are the way forward for cross racing.

OMITN, vittoria XGs have a similar tread to challenge griffos, dugast typhoons etc so are good in most conditions. Perhaps you could source a pair of michelin green mud tyres to put on a pair of your road wheels for very muddy courses.

Good find on the brakes finbar!

ourmaninthenorth

cynic-al – this will be a geared bike. Already have a (semi) suitable SS cross iron.

I’m mixed on discs, mainly because there aren’t a huge number of disc compatible frames and forks out there. That will change, I’m sure, but I reckon a few years on cantis will be fine.

ourmaninthenorth

finbar – cheers, will look at those.

leggyblonde – cool re the XGs. Am a fan of Vittoria tyres.

Bars will be FSA Vero – shallow drops that just fit me. Will search s/h for other bits.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Let's spec…a cyclocross race build’ is closed to new replies.