Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • lets see your sub 7kg road bikes
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Was reading the cycling plus road bike of the year review and the thing that stood out was how heavy the bikes all were (relatively for bikes well over 2k – most were over 8kg)

So lets see your uci limit or below builds. Mine is a smidge over 7kg so doesnt count..

chakaping
    Free Member

What is the protocol for weighing road bikes?

Pedals on? Bottle cages on?

tomhoward

Scales reading -3lbs?

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, that’s for Giant Trance owners innit?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Price inflation = weight inflation at low/mid price points.
    Getting under the 7kg mark isn’t easy at all – it requires a top end groupset and fairly exotic wheels.
    My 2010 Addict has a light frame, carbon bars/post etc and still comes in over the 7kg mark due to Ultegra/Ksyriums.

shermer75
    Free Member

relatively for bikes well over 2k – most were over 8kg

So how much to buy a sub UCI weight limit (6.8kg) bike these days? Surely it’s waaaay more than 2k? Or am I living in the past lol

shermer75
    Free Member

I take it all back, a quick look on the interwebs and it all looks surprisingly attainable! 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2016/ultimate-cf-slx-8-0.html

£2999, don’t see anyone beating canyon on weight/£ ratio

Onzadog
    Free Member

A bike that’s never delivered weighs nothing.

mahowlett
    Free Member

My Aeroad 8.0 was actually 7.2kg with pedals so sub 7.0kg without…. pretty good considering the deep sescion wheels and it’s an aero frame. oh and OnzaDog it was delivered in less than a week 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

So is it pedals off, like with MTB weights?

beej

Izalco Max with SRAM Red 22 + DT Swiss Dicut wheels cost me £3499 in 2015 – was 6.3kg without pedals/cages/mounts etc, using workshop scales.

It’s slightly heavier now with the eTap on.

(EDIT – Just weighed with pedals, cages and garmin mount. 6.735kg)

tomhoward

The Fast one by tomhoward379, on Flickr

2013 Madone 5 series
    Full Dura Ace Di2
    RXXXL Carbon finishing kit
    25mm GP4000s + Nothing special tubes.

7.14kgs as pictured, so 4kgs W/out cages and pedals….
    £a lot more than £2k

Weighs a lot more now it has a turbo trainer attached…

Klunk
    Free Member

Canyon ultimate sl 9.0, 7.2 kg (as delivered without pedals and cages) @ £1850

tpbiker
    Free Member

Pedals included!

My canyon sl with ultegra and kysyriums weighs just under 7.3 kg with speed play pedals. Only thing non standard is the ti skewers.

Cost me 1900 a few years ago.

jonba
    Free Member

Stock image. Weight is <7kg but without pedals or cages. Goes up a bit more when I add 1.5L of water, saddle bag and Garmin. Not actually weighed mine with proper scales though to check.

damascus
    Free Member

It has to be weighed in the state that you would ride it. So with pedals imho. Bottle cages are optional.

Pictures with proof of weight if you have them.

bob_summers

I’ve sold the frame now, but I had a Hong Fu 066 which came in well under 7kg for not *that* much (relatively). According to my nerdy spread sheet, built up with 24mm Chinese carbon tubs, Record F/R mech, Planet X crappy lightweight brakes, K Force light chainset, it weighed 6.4kg with two Arundel cages, SPeedplays, and a Garmin mount I’ll try to dig out a pic but I mostly rode it in a heavier build with 34mm Corima tubs and a power meter.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My old Roubaix has been on a diet but even after that it only made it to 8.2kg (with cages and pedals) and that’s despite if having some fairly light bits (Dura-ace C24 wheels and a Dura-ace cassette for example). I suspect it’d take a lot of cash to get it sub 7kg if it’s even possible!

bob_summers

didn’t quite make the cutoff to edit my last post, but here’s some crappy pics of the Hong Fu FM066 or whatever it was called…

burchill
    Free Member

A touch over 7kg when it has the carbon wheels on.

tlr

Just under 6kgs, complete with cages, pedals, garmin mount and dirt. Its done 30,000km so far and seems pretty robust even at that weight, although I do have a slightly heavier pair of wheels that I normally use instead of these 1kg pair.

Old but still good in my opinion, not at all sure what I would replace it with, maybe try an aero bike instead?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

7.4kg in the pic. It goes under 7.0 if I swap the saddle for something less padded and remove the bottle cage and Garmin sensor. And I’ve not trimmed the seatpost or steerer.

So how much to buy a sub UCI weight limit (6.8kg) bike these days? Surely it’s waaaay more than 2k? Or am I living in the past lol

Cost less than a cycle to work scheme, including buying the complete secondhand bike and replacing everything bar the frame and forks (which aren’t in themselves light).

The only secondhand bits in the end was the rear mech and bifters (and the frame/forks).

It’s really not that difficult to do, just spend money where it saves the most weight. That means alloy stems and bars, but going to town on things like wheels where you can get some really light stuff for relatively small cost. For example those wheels weigh 1250g and cost less than Mavic’s Ksyrium’s (the entry level ones, not even the pro/elite models).

TiRed

Defy Advanced SL (Medium), with Dura Ace everything, carbon bars and stem, and no seatpost. When wearing the carbon wheels it’s bang on 7kg. Lightest frame Giant ever made and a Paris Roubaix winner thanks to Degenkolb. But I prefer the Dura Ace/Sapim/Mavic CXP33’s it’s wearing here. Light is nice, but stiffness matters too.

Will be out on it tomorrow first thing en homage 🙂

The race bike is 7.4 kg, so doesn’t quite make it. Propel (and TCR) frames are heavier than this one, and we won’t mention the disk abominations they are passing off nowadays!

Oh and Dolan Seta track bike is under 7kg, but brakes are important on a road bike 😉

EDIT:

Surely it’s waaaay more than 2k?

This one doubles the value of the car I carry it in. So yes. As was the race bike.

fifeandy
    Free Member

It goes under 7.0 if I swap the saddle for something less padded and remove the bottle cage and Garmin sensor

Even a fairly burly saddle weighs <400g, so you’d have to swap it for an imaginary one and perch on the seat-post.

I think overall the thread pretty much proves what I said way back up there that bikes at or below the limit are still fairly rare/exotic, given that we’ve got 1 picture (and maybe one hiding under the broken pic links) so far.

matts
    Free Member

Before you get on to go for a ride you can attach a Garmin and put bottles in the cages.

Do people really ride bikes without pedals?

shermer75
    Free Member

bikes at or below the limit are still fairly rare/exotic, given that we’ve got 1 picture (and maybe one hiding under the broken pic links) so far.

I count 3, but no broken links…

matts
    Free Member

I think overall the thread pretty much proves what I said way back up there that bikes at or below the limit are still fairly rare/exotic

Yeah. My race bike is 7.6Kg with 7900, deep wheels, power meter, etc. It’s not at all unusual to see pro bikes about 7.5Kg unless it’s a GT contender on a mountain stage.

jonnyboi

I have a sub 8kg bike that cost me under £1k new but I’d probably have to spend that again to get it near or under 7kg.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do people really ride bikes without pedals?

It’s just become the standard for MTB weighing as it’s how bike companies weigh them, so makes it easier to benchmark.

So not as silly a question as all that. Road bike are usually sold sans pedals too aren’t they?

shermer75
    Free Member

Mine came with really crap pedals as a kind of a ‘frak you for caring’ compromise

matts
    Free Member

as it’s how bike companies weigh them

Bike companies weigh them without pedals…

…paint, wheels, forks…. 😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

So not as silly a question as all that. Road bike are usually sold sans pedals too aren’t they?

Yes they are sold either without, or with £2 plastic jobs and the manufacturers quoted weights are without. So as far as silly questions go, not hugely silly.

However obviously when talking about UCI weight limit, that’s a bike ready to go racing, which obviously requires pedals.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Even a fairly burly saddle weighs <400g, so you’d have to swap it for an imaginary one and perch on the seat-post.

It’s ~350g IIRC, it’s a cheap saddle. I had one of those cover-less saddles for a while that took it under 7.0kg then eventually swapped it for a normal SLR flow (carbon body, ti rails), so it’s around 7.1kg now. I’ll ride it into work next week and put it on the scales and prove it.

My point was, that it’s almost down to the limit, for under half even the lowest budgets some people are talking about. Throw another grand at it and make it a £2k bike and you could shed even more weight (carbon bar, carbon stem, carbon wheels, the fork is still an alu steerer!). And plenty of stuff is still ‘comfortable’ rather than picked for weight (bars, seatpost, saddle). If you wanted to do it all new you could buy a chinese carbon frame for not much more than I paid for the original bike.

Weightweenie builds don’t need to be expensive if you sped the money sensibly.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Pictures with proof of weight if you have them.

I have calibration certs. traceable to national standards if required.

however it’s my 9.8 kg (down from 12.3 😯 )gravel bike i’m interested in – never had the road bike on em.

EDIT:

It’s really not that difficult to do, just spend money where it saves the most weight

9 speed dura ace, saved me a loads of weight for real budget money. shifters were ~ 60. (worth less now.) fr/rr mechs about £15 each.

matts
    Free Member

However obviously when talking about UCI weight limit, that’s a bike ready to go racing, which obviously requires pedals.

Indeed.

The motor is more obvious when you be like

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

I will dabble..

Trek Emonda 54
    Ultegra Di2 with DuraAce Chainset.
    Fizik OO Saddle and Bars and R1 Stem.
    Vittora Corsa G tyres
    Easton EA90 SLX Wheel with TI Skewers.
    Garmin Vector Pedals.
    Topeak Carbon Cages x 2
    6.8kg on the head with everything bar bottles, saddle bag and Garmin.

I have some EE brakes and some Jagwire Elite cables to fit that should knock another 150grams off that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve a Cervelo R5ca with SRAM Red, MavM40cs, Carbon everything else.

It’s lovely, it’s far better than I am, it’s been hanging on the wall unused for nearly a year.

It’s light, about 13lbs in old money, which is light enough.

tpbiker
    Free Member

For example those wheels weigh 1250g

what kind of wheels are they?

As has been pointed out i reckon it wouldn’t be that hard to custom build a bike to the UCI limit for under 2k

As long as you start with a sub 1kg frame and decent wheels that is. Thats not to say it would be suitable for my 14 stone frame, but it would be possible..

My old PX pro carbon weighed 7.4, and I built it up for about 700 quid!

TheDoctor
    Free Member

6.75kg with those wheels (not mine), 7.2kg with more normal wheels

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘lets see your sub 7kg road bikes’ is closed to new replies.