Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Let's see your DIY Secondhand builds!
  • stew1982
    Free Member

Show us the bikes you've built yourself from parts you've bought from here and elsewhere!
    And if you feel like bragging how much you've saved/spent feel free.

(Pics of mine to be uploaded soon)!

slugwash
    Free Member

KHS Titanium & 1999 Marzocchi Z1 Flys (I think! Could be Z2s)

tinsy
    Free Member

My wifes about £400… stolen

Mine…£god knows a labour of love constantly evolved over 4 years.
    also stolen.

Mine new build, most bits an bobs bought from here over the course of 4-5 years, most recent the Scandal frame, then powder coated.

If you come steal this bike you will die.

stew1982
    Free Member

Nice "classic" look – what sort of frame/forks?

stew1982
    Free Member

love the on-one scandal!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

£600 all in, the only thing new was the BB and chain.

stew1982
    Free Member

Right, my current ride: My Cove Handjob has cost me about £450 (in current state! – which changes weekly) everything just about purchased from here in the last month or so.

coffeeking
    Free Member

And before that:

And also now but with different forks:

chakaping
    Free Member

This thread is MUCH better than the bling one.

Good work guys. That frame looks really nice Lee, what is it?

Beagleboy

The frame was £60 off ebay, Hope Mini's with braided hoses £30 off a mate. Everything else out of my spares collection. It's a lovely flier of a bike. Unfortunately he's been stripped back down again to feed my Five and P7's never ending need for spares.

B.

stew1982
    Free Member

What model orange frame is it?

Oh and bling is for those who like to look at bikes, I've always found riding mines almost as good fun (except at the point where you look up a long,long time)

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

chapaking, an 06 Explosif, bought from pinklol off here. the sweetest bike i've owned.

tinsy
    Free Member

I only just noticed the snapped pedal arm on the Coyote… I can see where the expression came from now.. 🙂

Lionheart
    Free Member

That means all of our bikes! All built from s/h bits – is there another way? Here is the one I am most proud of, it did mean raiding the bits box, which did inc forks, but wheels, tyres, frame, brakes, seat, post, stem, chain, yet to go over £200 and its the most ridden.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My 456 built this spring – first build ever. Only new thing on it is the carbon seatpost from On-One. Total cost exc. wheels/tyres was about £270 🙂

Absolutely love it.

stew1982
    Free Member

That 456 is a bargain!

Out of interest, how many of you guys also have a "new" purchased bike aswell?
    I have an 08 Trek Fuel EX9 (which is a fantastic bike by the way), which seems to spend more time in the garage than is healthy since the Cove was built. I feel like i should choose the trek before the Cove to ride since I paid a fair amount for it, but find myself wanting to ride the Cove – "just because"!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Certainly helped that the frame was £60 and the brakes were £20, seat and bars both free, and the seatpost was reduced from £60 to £20!!

I've also got an '07 Stumpy FSR Expert that I paid £900 for (new price £2K) but I'm now thinking that maybe the 456 is all I need.

footstomper
    Free Member

This was my labour of Love for quite a while, as I remember it cost me around £400 mark as I had quite a few of the smaller bits hanging around.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I only just noticed the snapped pedal arm on the Coyote… I can see where the expression came from now..

That was the end to a very wet cold alpine day, I'd bunnyhopped into a puddle to splash my brother and the arm fractured. I went head first into a bush at the side of a very steep cliff and was rather cheesed off, having to ride another 4 miles with only one crank arm. I now have a left leg like popeye.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Almost everything, including the frame, was 2nd hand.

coffeeking
    Free Member

steve – thats a lovely bike! My fave so far.

Jammy111
    Free Member

cost me about 900. and thats with 100quid for a new rebound cartridge which i broke.

Tracey

Tracey

epicsteve
    Free Member

A more recent pic of my Soul, taken at the weekend – spec has changed a little bit since the the other one (it spend much of the time between as a singlespeed). Talas RLC, XT drivetrain except for an XTR rear mech, Thompson post, Hope Mini's and Easton finishing kit. I think the only new bits were the bars, saddle and front mech – total cost was about £1K.

thefettler
    Free Member

needs a bit of work!

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@epicsteve – WTF are those roots?!?

Konastoner
    Free Member

Every part is second hand, except the rear mech! And most bought off here 🙂 Thanks to all who have contributed.

rich-6
    Free Member

2nd hand bar the wheels, cranks and brakes,

2nd hand frame, Forks new, brakes 2nd hand (M4s now) new saddle think thats it

freebie from skip, Now has spesh stem and bars from the parts box, Bombers and headset sourced via e-bay as they were nackered, Tis the commuter bike now

epicsteve
    Free Member

@epicsteve – WTF are those roots?!?

Good aren't they – gets a bit slippery in the wet. They're on a great little trail from the Pentlands down to my house.

Little parts bit special I built for my son – saddle from my Epic, bars and grips from my old Kona, frame and wheels from Ebay, XT drive.

djglover
    Free Member

Mostly second hand, think the Thomson stuff was new and maybe the bars and shifters

Cracked, won't be buying second hand again!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Let's see your DIY Secondhand builds!’ is closed to new replies.