Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • lets see your cx bike then
  • clubber
    Free Member

PLEASE: Someone tell me what the deal is with
    CX? road bikes that go in mud, just don’t get
    it. ..

Simply put, because they’re fun. They’re bikes that work pretty much anywhere. In the UK most areas are blessed with miles of trails that would be too tame on an mtb and also linked with sections of road. On a CX bike that’s a great combination as it’s surprisingly capable off road but spices up trails while the road sections don’t feel like riding through treacle like on an mtb.

tollah
    Free Member

I class ny self as a mountain biker so tend to be a little heavy handed with my bikes.
    Road bikes feel too fragile to me especially when I’m taking cheeky shortcuts bunnyhopping curbs and speed bumps etc.

yeah you’re probably right, you can’t do that type of stuff on a CX bike

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxC7rgeTGck[/video]

firestarter
    Free Member

Robsoctane what samuri and clubber said. The two bikes I showed are now my only two bikes I own I don’t even have an mtb any more. Last year I had a turner five spot, surly karate monkey, ragley blue pig and a Sabbath September ti and sold them all as I realised all I needed was my crosscheck for what I rode I kept pompino too tho lol the pomp is always ss and cx tyres but my crosscheck changes from ss to fixed to geared from road Tyres to cx to 1.8 29er tyres some times with racks and guards sometimes not great bikes for all sorts of riding 😉

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Solarider, if you’re trying to make me jealous it’s working- Pegorettis, Sevens and now a Speedvagen, very very nice collection.

clubber
    Free Member

tollah – didn’t he say ‘road bike’ though? 😉

Clover

Why CX? Well, I’m not sure a road bike would handle my commute: country lane
    but the CX does and it’s bridleway so not really techie enough to warrant a MTB. Plus I’m always late so CX bike speed helps!

wors

how come you sold the pig firestarter, you had a couple of skills days with ed didn’t you? Back on track, i have a dew drop for my commute , mix of road, canal and bridleway and it’s brill. I also went out on Thursday night on it offroad, suprisingly good, although some proper cx tyres would better for cornering. 😳

BigTed
    Free Member

Here’s another couple including an obligatory ‘on a pile of logs’ shot

firestarter
    Free Member

I did wors but just decided I prefer the types of rides that I can do quicker on a cx and have more fun doing them. Tbh most of this year has been spent on modding and riding motorbikes lol

robsoctane
    Free Member

Lads, thank you all for helping me understand. I thought that they were nothing more than road bikes with different tyres – never seen one in the flesh you see. Now I can see that they must make em tougher than they look. They do seem fun. I wouldn’t mind trying one down my way on local trails for comparison purposes.

Why the canti brakes anyone?

smiffy

Nice to see a couple of pictures with actual mud on them!

kinger

Colnago World Cup, altho sadly mismatched tyres :-/

Alex

I had this for a year or so:

Jake first ride by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Which I sold when I bought a road bike, but now I definitely want another cross bike. I’m going to buy it on (my own) b2w scheme, and definitely want disks. Right now, this is no.1 on my list

I’m just off outside for a dribble…

clubber
    Free Member

why cantis?

historical reasons really but…

for racing and some riders or trails they’re good enough. of course part of that is simply because only cantis work directly with road brake levers and that’s all that’s been available.

Now that discs have been allowed for racing and the manufacturers are starting to make road/cx specific discs they’ll gain a foothold. obviously some will always resist change, sometimes with good reason, but as more people try them (rather than just blindly dismissing them) they’ll become increasingly the norm.

Rik
    Free Member

Big Ted – making me jeleous with his colnago again…..

globalti
    Free Member

We are all waiting for Shimano or SRAM to announce the first hydraulic road brake lever. That’s when the shed bodging will really get going.

LittleTones
    Free Member

Whyte hybrid commuter/CX bike

I’ve been finding this rather good – It’s not a traditional CX bike, very long, lots of stability, quite handy for muddy Essex tracks.

I’m not sure it would be the best bike to race on, but it suits me for pootling around.

Fishd

Having recently tried a CX bike I have to say… LOVE IT…

The main thing for me is, zipping down the road at many, many miles per hour looking for the next little dirt track you can find… then seeing where it goes. Fab bike for exploring.

@ Daisy_Duke… thought I recognised that bike, I was in the shop the day you picked it up! Nice ride!

Fishd

Forgot to include a photo… just before it’s maiden voyage:

oldgit
    Free Member

Hunting down mountainbikers 😈

jmenorton
    Free Member

Been looking at getting a cx bike lately, Had my eye on the Cube Crossrace but looks like theres going to be a long wait for them. Whats the general consensus on the cannondale caadx bikes? much prefer the look of the black tiagra model, but obviously the 105 model is better specced for not much more.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Caad road bikes are very well thought of, so I should imagine their cross bikes are also worth looking seriously at.

Take a 105 groupset every time.

Kuco

Bit of a shite pic my Ti On-One CX

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

My KHS – lovely bike, great fun to ride.

khs1 by Team Shortbread, on Flickr

colnagokid

[/url] Columbus X Wing by greyhoundjim, on Flickr[/img]
    Now has diferent post/saddle, and a chain

Kuco

If you can try before you buy a CAADX I had one a few years ago and they use to come up very large.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Posted it before but that’s my Kinesis Tripster. Not strictly a cross bike but very much ‘on trend’ at the moment. Used as my commuter bike all year round (for some interesting lanes & surfaces) and my winter bike for what feels like almost all year round. I absolutely bloomin’ love it. As a few have said before – it’s a bike that just about does everything – like how we rode bikes as kids.

On the ‘why canti brakes’ question – I believe that prior to discs (that thankfully are now being seen more and more as a result of the UCI ruling) they were the only way to get a wide tyre on a wheel – there’s just not enough clearance on modern dual pull road brakes. The BB5s on the Tripster are light years better than the cantis I had on the Genesis before it.

bigG
    Free Member

Still my favourite do it all bike,,

sefton
    Free Member

just got back from Paul Milnes with a Paul Milnes SL, carbon fork, tyres & some adjustable frogleg cantis for £300!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

nice one! pictures please…

Sam

globalti – Member
    We are all waiting for Shimano or SRAM to announce the first hydraulic road brake lever. That’s when the shed bodging will really get going.

huh? surely that’s when the shed bodging will stop.

my pic

Singular envoy Mario at the Italian SSCX champs on Friday

Rob_514
    Free Member

heres my kona. Love it.

jp
    Free Member

MikeWW – those Formes look great. Would you mind sharing any details on what spec you’ve built them to? I can feel a project in the offing! Cheers

Picto
    Free Member

An aging major

[/url] IMAG0176 by shaun244, on Flickr[/img]

Clover

Rock Lobster on the MaryT by BeateKubitz, on Flickr

Trusty Rock Lobster on the Mary Towneley Loop yesterday.

jmenorton
    Free Member

Just had this delivered, Rose Pro DX Cross 2000. Not set set it up properly yet.

stever
    Free Member
    ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

That a 58? (the Rose)

jmenorton
    Free Member

60cm

sefton
    Free Member

got one!

not been on my mtb since – simply awesome!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘lets see your cx bike then’ is closed to new replies.